New Cam/Heads Combo Sensational - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2003, 09:51   #1 (permalink)

New Cam/Heads Combo Sensational

Heart's still pounding after just going for the first test drive with new SVO Cam A342 (580" Inlet .606" Exhaust) (296 Deg Inlet 306 Deg Exhaust) in the 378 stroker. Taken the 2V's about as far as they will go this time... Fitted a Weiand X-lerator 'cause nothing taller would fit, and blueprinted the Holley 750DP. mmm quite a ride..

New motor so probably shouldn't have caned it so much but couldn't help myself..

Grins all round

Old 11-01-2003, 13:53   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: New Cam/Heads Combo Sensational

That durations not @050 is it? If it is that cam would start so late in the rpm range it'd be drag only.

I've got the same lift but 248@050.

[edit] Just realized that that has to be the advertised duration. Mines 312 inlet and 323 exhaust but you never use those figures anyway.

Brenden

Last edited by brenx; 11-01-2003 at 13:56.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 20:41   #3 (permalink)

Duration @ 50 is 248/258. So what's your idle quality like and out of curiosity what carb/jetting you running? Just been tinkling to try get idle a bit stronger and bit more driveability at 1500-3000, seems like it is fuelling up at those revs.
Old 11-01-2003, 21:00   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

It would be, as that cam don't start till 3800rpm. It will finish up around 7000rpm. Basically you have an SVO copy of a Crane F246. It's a very nice cam indeed.

If you want to launch that car? You'll need to be doing about 4500rpm.

I've got no idea on jetting as mine wa done on a dyno and now I need to get it redone because I've changed the heads.

Brenden
Old 11-02-2003, 00:11   #5 (permalink)

I think the SVO grind is pretty old ie touring car spec so reckon the Crane is the copy.. LOL

Yeah it's a nice set up, reckon the engine builder's done a great job keeping the port velocity up because with a 3000rpm stall, 3.23 gears and 265/50 x 14 tyres it's really hooking up nicely. Probably will go to 4.11 gears for the drags with slicks but as a street combo I'm impressed.

But get the feeling the Holley needs tweeking, seems like PV staying open that's why is over fuelled at lower revs.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:44   #6 (permalink)

StrokeXD how do you know its over fuleing at lower revs??

Are your eye's are burning at idle?

Also what PV is in it now and whats the idle vac in gear?
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:55   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by not ford
StrokeXD how do you know its over fuleing at lower revs??

Are your eye's are burning at idle?

Also what PV is in it now and whats the idle vac in gear?
Motor feels 'uneven' at cruise rpm ie 2000-3000 with a continous almost stumble feel to it.

A few times the carb has flooded because of poor needle and seat control at the fuel pressure I was running and this excasberated the effect so I'm assuming too rich and not too lean.

Also the exhaust pipe is sootie after a slow cruise, and outside of plugs likewise though centre electrode gets almost too white after a hard run..

Installed a Holley high flow PV 145 - size 45 as vacuum at idle out of gear is 6-7 inches, but can't get it to idle in gear long enough for a reading. Reckon the next thing to try is size 35 because it could be opening at idle and at the above revs when under load.

My gut feeling is its running too rich on primaries and too lean on secondaries with a dodgy, or perhaps too high, PV...

Possibly could get it all sorted out easy with a competent dyno analysis but have been a bit disappointed with the last few I've had over here in Perth. One of the more reputable places spent a day on the car with my previous motor combo and I ended up changing all the specs back the way I had it. Seems they tuned it for a technically correct air/fuel ratio rather than outright grunt like I'm after.

Don't suppose anyone out there knows of a decent dyno tuner in Perth?
Old 11-02-2003, 14:20   #8 (permalink)

Cause your cam is so large you're supposed to size the PV at 1/2 idle vac + 0.5. Striaght away from this you can see you need 3.0 (do they exist never needed one that small, otherwise 2.5).

Is it hard to get the idle mixtures right?

Also what are the exact mods done on the Holley?
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 20:07   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

considering the crane is .570 / .590 it's not likey to be a copy.
Even though the dyno tuners have been somewhat dodgey, have they given you a power estimate?? I suspect it's a bit new for 1/4 times yet !
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:26   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoupe
considering the crane is .570 / .590 it's not likey to be a copy.
Even though the dyno tuners have been somewhat dodgey, have they given you a power estimate?? I suspect it's a bit new for 1/4 times yet !
Yeah was just taking the piss on the Crane cam...

Spoke to a few (new) engine dyno guys today, the advice is to wait for 500ks up. Soon as I get 1000k's down it will be down the quarter.

With right gearing it should be in the 11's, but with my set up somewhere in the 12's. Been scaring the shit out of me. Loads of mid-range, breaks the rear wheels loose with very little effort.

Having fun!

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech