Ford Forums banner

new car pinging

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RedEF6 
#1 ·
Hello all

The XY is pinging something terrible. The owner has been running it on Vortex (not sure if its 95 or the new 98 stuff) but when i get into it its really rattling its nuts off. The bloke reckons it never used to do that. Is it just a case of backing the timing off a little, or are there other things to look at too?

Cheers

#3 ·
Run out the tank of possible crap gas and refill with 98 octane.

What are your static and max timing advance settings? Just back it off a little and see how you go. Sometimes its only a few degrees that can make the difference.

Did you just buy it? He didn't fill up with cheap unleaded?

There are other things like blown head gaskits etc, but hopefully its a simple timing/fuel thing.

#4 ·
yeah I'll run this tank out and see what happens. He says he filled it with Vortex before i bought it. I wouldnt know anything amount the timing, im on a huge learning curve with these engines as it is, but one of my mates would probably be able to sort it all out if asked.

#5 ·
old_mate said:
yeah I'll run this tank out and see what happens. He says he filled it with Vortex before i bought it. I wouldnt know anything amount the timing, im on a huge learning curve with these engines as it is, but one of my mates would probably be able to sort it all out if asked.
No probs.

Piece of cake to do your timing. Just losen the bolt that clamps the base of your distributor to the block. Not sure if you have a timing light? Rotate the distributor slowly and retard/reduce the timing in about 2* increments, then go for a run to see if it's stopped pinging.

If you don't have a timing light, get a big black texta and mark the round base of the distributor and the block (ie: you can always put it back to where it was!!). Then just rotate the dizzy about 5mm (anti clockwise I think), anyway, the direction that causes the revs to drop. You may then need to increase the idle speed screw on your carby a little. Tighten the retaining clamp and go for it!

Watch your fingers/arm on the eninge fan blades when playing with spanners!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.