New engine won't fire - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2005, 15:47   #1 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

New engine won't fire

I can't get my new engine to fire up. It has fuel but looks to have no spark. There is 12.5 volts at the distributor (HEI coil in cap, one wire hookup) but nothing coming out of the leads. What's gone wrong? I thought the one thing I couldn't get wrong was spark, consdering my entire ignition system is contained in the dizzy. There were a couple of puffs back through the carb but nothing else. Any ideas?

Edit- Actually I went and had a look for myself instead of relying on my mates word and there is in fact a spark at the plugs. What's gone wrong? I'm sure the dizzy isn't 180' out (set it to fire at No. 1 when the crank read 8'BTDC and no air was rushing out of the spark plug hole). There is fuel through the accellerator pump jets which leads me to believe it's a spark problem, unfortunately I can't set static timing with this distributor (unless someone else knows how).

I don't like having to keep trying different things because I've heard it's a really bad idea to keep cranking over a new engine on the starter.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2005, 16:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: New engine won't fire

Static timing could be out? So you can't move the distributor to change it a little?

So you pulled a lead off and cranked the motor to see it arcing on the engine?

Be careful not to flood your engine.

Checked all your leads are on in order?

Done any re-wiring? Make sure the start circuit wiring isn't connected to the normal 12V ignition side which is disabled during start.
Old 06-18-2005, 16:24   #3 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

The only rewiring I did was running a new wire to replace the ballast resistance wire. Then the end of that wire goes into the same terminal as the start circuit (brown/red) wire so it should be fine. There's 12v there during both starting and hwen the key is on IGN. I've tried moving the dizzy around, to no avail. I don't know how to check static timing with this distributor, I normall do it by using a test light on the coil negative, but this dizzy has the coil in the cap. Yup, checked the leads are in the correct order.
Old 06-18-2005, 16:30   #4 (permalink)

Mike Gayner

Shouldn't it have air rushing out of the spark plug hole???
It is supposed to fire on compression stroke, that's when air comes out of plug hole. Maybe the dissy is 180 deg out.
jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 16:41   #5 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

D'oh, you're right. Oops. I'll turn the dizzy round and see how things go.
Old 06-18-2005, 16:45   #6 (permalink)

Ireckon the timing is wrong. Take the no1 plug out get a mate to turn your engine over. When its coming up on compression stroke it should pushing air out . Set the timing marks up and drop your dizzy in. Make sure your plug leads are in the right order. 13726548
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 16:46   #7 (permalink)

You shouldnt have to turn the dizzy at all to get it to fire if its done right. Hook a light up to it and do static timing.
Old 06-18-2005, 19:14   #8 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Arg anothet set-back. The temp guage is reading maximum and I haven't fired it up yet. Whats up with this? I have the wire hooked up. Would rather not fire the engine up without a working temp guage.
Old 06-18-2005, 19:30   #9 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Just tested the sender, it's f*cked. Can't get another one till at least tomorrow. This f*cking car almost has me beating my head against a f*cking wall, this isn't funny anymore. This is f*cking ridiculous.
Old 06-18-2005, 20:33   #10 (permalink)

Looks like you need to get someone in that knows what they are doing before you destroy your engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech