new guy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 09:01   #1 (permalink)

new guy

hello there my name is Ryan, i have a fox mustang with a 351c and a c6 in it. Full drag car, not street......anymore(funny what getting busted street racing will do to you after being a year in a court system)
I am looking for a friendly forum be be a part of, the last place i was a member of had a large amount of "know-it-alls" in it. seems everyone had to heckle my posts, or i would ask a question about a open chamber 4v head and i would have 5 replies on "why dont you have a 4v closed chamber head" or "open chambers suck" and then people would tell me i needed aussie heads or somthing else i didnt ask about.
so guys...tell me what you think, can i post in here without being heckled?
musclemustang8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2005, 10:25   #2 (permalink)
Pommey Mustanger

Re: new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclemustang8
can i post in here without being heckled?
Possibly, there's plenty of good Clevo advice around here but also many differences of opinion!
mach1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:07   #3 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Hello there, my name is Ryan, I have a fox Mustang with a 351C and a C6 in it. Full drag car, not street......anymore (funny what getting busted street racing will do to you after being a year in a court system).
I am looking for a friendly forum to be a part of; the last place I was a member of had a large amount of "know-it-alls" in it. Seems everyone had to heckle my posts, or I would ask a question about an open chamber 4v head and I would have 5 replies on "why don't you have a 4v closed chamber head" or "open chambers suck" and then people would tell me I needed aussie heads or somthing else i didnt ask about.
So guys...tell me what you think, can I post in here without being heckled?
Ryan,

I have Cleveland engines with OC and CC heads. The OCs are perfectly fine up to a point, just like every other part ever designed.

I think that you'll find most of the members here will address your points, though advice is often provided even when not sought. It is rarely pushed very hard on people. Aussies tend to be fairly laid back compared to a lot of other places.

I have a complete set of 12.5:1 TRW forged pistons for an OC Cleveland that I'm considering putting into the OC engine shown below.

I have a nice, moderate performance hydraulic camshaft that would make for a good rebuild, but not with a 12.5:1 combination...so, I'll probably be another several weeks trying to decide how I want to proceed with it. I bought the engine above as part of a vehicle I purchased. I have another 351C CC engine:

...that I just finished up. It is basically a strong street/strip engine with solid flat tappet camshaft, forged flat tops and reconditioned factory crank and rods. It should make something over 400 HP on unleaded premium.

While I can't promise that you won't get heckled, I can say that you're more likely to find the members here are more likely to give answers that will help you use what you've got than make a lot of recommendations about other choices. A lot of guys here don't have the budget to start with a bunch of new or even different used parts, either. A lot of us build what we've got on hand and add to it as needed to meet our goals.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:30   #4 (permalink)

thank you for your replies. i am not opposed to constructive advice.you have to learn somehow. my past posts on places have been just like i said before, telling me my combo is "not good enough for them."
i have a .612lift 244dur matched roller cam, open chamber cj heads fully ported 9.2:1 cr forged pistons shotpeened and mag. rods. 1.75 longtubes that i custom made. a mighty demon carb. edelbrock torker manifold(on the way)currently have a weiand x-cel. a Nitrous shot (just in case). c6 tranny fully built with 4200stall. and fully build rearend with 3.73's, full spool and 31 spline superior axles with c-clip eliminators. and of course much much more to add to the list. and everything done to the car was done by me at my home, it has never been in anyone elses garage. everything from rearend, trans and engine and chassis was done by me, on a non-union contruction workers salary.
and with all that people have the nerve to get on my post and tell me that my car is slow b\c i dont have 14.8:1 compression or b\c i have 3.73's instead of 4.10's

i just want a forum were i am not goin to be insulted, thats really just what i am looking for. from what i have read on other posts so far and the feedback i got from a couple people on here. it seems like a nice forum to be a part of. so thanks again- Ryan
Old 06-19-2005, 16:23   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
seems everyone had to heckle my posts, or i would ask a question about a open chamber 4v head and i would have 5 replies on "why dont you have a 4v closed chamber head" or "open chambers suck" and then people would tell me i needed aussie heads or somthing else i didnt ask about.
so guys...tell me what you think, can i post in here without being heckled?
Welcome to the forum, i recon it sounds like you have a strong combo.
I was reading something on the coral forums the other day about open vs closed chambers in debate. Whatever works for you is the best in my opinion.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 18:12   #6 (permalink)

thanks a lot, i appriciate it
Old 06-19-2005, 20:07   #7 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
and with all that people have the nerve to get on my post and tell me that my car is slow b\c i dont have 14.8:1 compression or b\c i have 3.73's instead of 4.10's.
You wouldn't want 14+ CR, because it is way too finicky to tune. 4.10s are often a good choice, but again, it depends on tire size and how your chassis works off of the line. It may be useful to consider that a lot of small displacement Clevelands need some decent RPM to get moving, and lower gear ratios can be a real benefit if the chassis works well. Most Fox bodies do fairly well off of the line, but a C6 tends to take a good bit of power whereas a C4 is often a choice preferred for higher RPM attacks.

When you've got an existing built C6, it is hard to switch to a different transmission simply because some guys say that it will save you some power and weight. What they may not have considered is that it won't save you any money and a C6 will take a lot of punishment.

A nicely built 357 OC engine will work well in a light car like a Fox. With the nitrous, it ought to spring into a strong step. The taller gears, when backed by the squeeze will make for good MPH at the top end where the Cleveland heads work the best. Have you had any problem with predetonation with the OC heads? What do you use for fuel?

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 23:26   #8 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Welcome aboard musclemustang8, that sounds like a tuff Muzzy, got any pic's to show us ?
Old 06-20-2005, 00:41   #9 (permalink)

G'Day musclemustang8, welcome to FF.....the place where we'll tell you what you think Naa, just kidding. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay. You in the US?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31   #10 (permalink)

thanks guys, i am from Florida in the US .detonation problems are minimal, i keep the timing backed off b\c i run nitrous on the car as well. when just running N\A, i use 93octane pump gas And with a 175 nitrious shot i use a 50/50 mix 93 octane and 110oc. b\c its easiest to find around here. but i do have to regret to inform that i do not have any pics up to date and my scanner is in terrible shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech