New problem (yes, another one) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 02:27   #1 (permalink)

New problem (yes, another one)

I am finding that when my car warms right up, after 30 mins+ of driving, the motor starts to lose power and stalls. It seems to be a fuel issue. When I re-start and rev the car a bit it clears itself. Could it be the fuel getting too hot? I am running a 1/2" phenolic spacer.. Should I try a bigger one? The fuel rail is chrome (Holley brand) and running very close to the intake manifold, a bigger spacer would move it further away also. What should I buy?
My set-up can be seen here:
http://gallery.fordforums.com//showp...sort/1/cat/500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 03:11   #2 (permalink)
XW GS Fairmont

Re: New problem (yes, another one)

Do you run a fuel filter?

You may have a bit of crap under the needle and seat causing fuel to leak in from the boosters at idle. Could also be the fuel pressure too high.

I see you have a nice new dissy what is the coil like? If it is old it could be breaking down when hot. Altho' they usually just stop working altogether!

Nice ride by the way!!!
shard351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:46   #3 (permalink)

Probably not hot fuel.
Could be coil as above said.
Fuel tank venting properly?
Fuel pump can heat up and have temporary failures - 10 mins to cool and off you go again.
Dirty needle and seat. Strip and clean carby - blow everything out.
Change filter.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:14   #4 (permalink)

My car used to suffer from fuel boiling giving me vapour lock.

The "plastic" phenolic spacers do a great job at insulating the engine heat from the carby, so it sounds like it could be something else.....my shaker scoop would aslo trap lots of hot air under underneath.
Old 03-29-2006, 14:15   #5 (permalink)

I have same fuel rail and non braided fuel line (which runs closer to my motor)with no heat probs. Years ago i experienced same problem. Ended up that the holley blue fuel pump was to close to the exhaust at the rear.
andrewcrocos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 14:55   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I am finding that when my car warms right up, after 30 mins+ of driving, the motor starts to lose power and stalls. It seems to be a fuel issue. When I re-start and rev the car a bit it clears itself. Could it be the fuel getting too hot? I am running a 1/2" phenolic spacer.. Should I try a bigger one? The fuel rail is chrome (Holley brand) and running very close to the intake manifold, a bigger spacer would move it further away also. What should I buy?
My set-up can be seen here:
http://gallery.fordforums.com//showp...sort/1/cat/500
By the look of the photo where your fuel line runs under the A/C compressor, If the braided line you use is the sleeve type then the combination of engine block & exhaust heat maybe causing your fuel to vaporise a bit if it runs through a mechanical pump. I can see the fuel pressure gauge but you don't say whether you run an electric pump in which if this is the case then I would look at mounting a fuel reg off a bracket on the shock bolt closest the engine, Mount the gauge off 1 end then go across to the fuel rail. Obviously you would rerun the fuel line in the engine bay from where it is located now to reduce the amount of heat the line is exposed to.
351ClevoCorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 23:32   #7 (permalink)

I have a mechanical pump. The fuel line is the braided over rubber (Earls) type, not just a sleeve. Coil is under the battery pretty much away from heat. Might upgrade to an electric fuel system int he future, but not unless I have to.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:08   #8 (permalink)

once i had a carb that ran bad once warmed up. sometimes if carb underside base screws are not done up tight they can leak. these can only be tightened when the carb is off. then sometimes leaks like this can make the motor idle high or low depending on which carb circuts are being affected from the vacume leak.
try the 30 min rip carb off and check all screws trick and see if that helps.. cheers..
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:11   #9 (permalink)

From your initial description it sounds like an over fuel situation.

Are you running a high Volume pump??? It may be overpowering the needle and seat.
A fuel block and return line may correct this.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:19   #10 (permalink)

my mech. choke decided to start closing once giving same prob. make sure its staying open.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech