Newbie looking for info -> XE 351 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 20:11   #1 (permalink)

Newbie looking for info -> XE 351

Hi Everyone,

I am new to these forums, and new to V8's etc as well (having dedicated the last few years of my life to GTR's).

I currently have a XE Falcon S wagon, which is 100% standard with the original 4.1L engine and 3 speed (I think its 3sp?) auto gearbox. The car has done 300,000kms and is still running ok, but is in need of an engine overhaul badly (the interior is still in very very good condition, as is the body).

I am looking at making this car into a 12 - 24 month long project where I do all the work myself, and am looking at putting in a 351 V8. How hard is this conversion to do, and is anyone able to offer advice and a list of some of the parts I will need?

At this stage (probably dreaming) I am looking into making it an immaculate show car that still gets driven, and around 500rwhp. I will probably go something like a C4 or another auto gearbox to handle this power. Also what modifications would need to be done to the 351 to get it to this power level? Also if anyone can provide info on diffs/driveshafts etc I will need this would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to venturing into the V8 world!
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 01:11   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Newbie looking for info -> XE 351

Firstly doing it in an XE isn't easy as XE's have the worst pollution requirements. Can't even change the carb!

Firstly you'd need either a 393 or 408 stroker. A set of aluminium heads. Big cam etc etc. Your looking about $20,000 for the engine and driveline. I don't know whether a C4 will cope but hey I'm looking at building a big stroker and testing the C4 out

In regards to the conversion you need some V8 chassis mounts and v8 engine mounts and thats it.

Brenden
Old 12-30-2004, 05:06   #3 (permalink)

i have done this swap and am just about to do it again.It really does,nt get any easier than this as far as swaps are concerned.
You will need to look at the front suspension in its entirety i would think as 300 000 kms its due for a rebuild .change the front springs to suit when you rebuild.Everything else is standard from 6 to 8.
Cooling system will require a dedicated v8 core and i would suggest a late model twin thermo setup (ef or similar)
Exhaust system needs changing completely.
One thing I would look into is aquiring a donor car,one with a clevo already fitted .It doesn,t have to be fancy ,just use it to pillage parts off.Thats what i am doing now with my rebuild and it has saved me hundreds of dollars and cost me 150 bucks.
Let me offer this piece of advice before we go any further.I am currently in the process of doing what you intend to do with your wagon .What i can tell you is that building a show car is no easy task.I would not say that mine is remotely not intended for the show circuit but has been built to what i consider a high standard.It takes an enormous amount of sweat and unlimited funds to build such a vehicle.Look at how many dudes sell thier unfinished projects .
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 13:26   #4 (permalink)

Like russxr67 said it is a very easy swap i bought a xe with a six in it and gutted my xd that was riddled with cancer. I did the whole swap over two weekends. Ensure that you use v8 springs in the front though otherwise the front will drop with the extra weight.

Sadly enough i put the xe into a wall yesterday morning on the local mountain on the way to work. Dont think i can put myself through swappig everything again.

Good luck with your swap and enjoy the end result, i know everytime i hopped in my car i was as happy as a pig in shit.
XECLEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:36   #5 (permalink)

if you plan on giving it a hard time the c4 auto wont last long at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ive been through a few, ide go a manual box
old falcon fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 13:34   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by old falcon fan
if you plan on giving it a hard time the c4 auto wont last long at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only if it's been built not to handle the power of the engine. Plenty of C4's in quick cars inc mine.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech