Noisy Lifters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2005, 20:14   #1 (permalink)
Phantom 351 XE

Question Noisy Lifters

Hey Guys,

Ive Just installed new cam and lifters in my 351.

I just started running it in and had a pretty big water leak so had to stop after 5 mins but the Lifters are Insanely Noisy, they are crane anti-pump ups and ive set the preload as per the crane instructions using the standard rockers with shims.

Any ideas, do they just need to run in fully. After 5 mins at 2000-2500rpm im half deaf and that dont seem right to me , the same engine with the old cam and lifters was no where near as noisy

Rob

EDIT: The cam was installed 4 degrees advanced, also doesnt really feel like it wants to rev
351xd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 20:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Noisy Lifters

I would run it longer,,if you are sure you have preload is it 3/4 of a turn with those lifters? run it a few times getting it hot then letting it cool and starting it again,,ive had the same thing a few times and they shut up after a while.

Cheers Marty
aussiemart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 21:23   #3 (permalink)
Phantom 351 XE

thanks, yeah only reason shut it off was because i had a leak at the water pump so gotta pull it off and re seal it, i hope ur right and it stops cause my ears are ringing bad
351xd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 00:35   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351xd
Hey Guys,

Ive Just installed new cam and lifters in my 351...... ive set the preload as per the crane instructions using the standard rockers with shims.
Were the shims to compensate for head/block face machining?

Quote:
After 5 mins at 2000-2500rpm im half deaf and that dont seem right to me , the same engine with the old cam and lifters was no where near as noisy
This does not sound right to me. Personally, I usually sit the lifters in a container and cover in oil. That way they are nice and lubed up before they go in, and "some" oil will find it's way inside as well, so they are not bone-dry. If you still have noise, then I would say they are too loose (preload).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemart
if you are sure you have preload is it 3/4 of a turn with those lifters?
Clevos go down tight with standard rockers, hence the shims to set preload.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 22:45   #5 (permalink)

Clevos go down tight with standard rockers, hence the shims to set preload.[/QUOTE]

Yes it should be half to 3/4 of a turn with the std bolts tight thats what the shims are for i thought.

And yes they should be prelubed,,was this done?,, 5 mintues at 2500 they should be oiled by now but not necessaraly pumped to there happy preload.
aussiemart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:36   #6 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I just started running it in and had a pretty big water leak so had to stop after 5 mins but the Lifters are Insanely Noisy, they are crane anti-pump ups and ive set the preload as per the crane instructions using the standard rockers with shims.

Any ideas, do they just need to run in fully. After 5 mins at 2000-2500rpm im half deaf and that dont seem right to me , the same engine with the old cam and lifters was no where near as noisy

Rob

EDIT: The cam was installed 4 degrees advanced, also doesnt really feel like it wants to rev

The hydraulic lifters should make no notable noise. Did you set preload before or after priming the engine with oil? My concern is that you may have too much preload...but, other than valves smacking the tops of the pistons, I can't think what noise would be made...unless something else was screwy.

The primary sources for valve train noise in a hydro cammed engine are rockers whacking against the valve stems and a really loose (no/too little preload) set up. To make the noise you're describing, you'd have to be very loose, so much that you can feel room between the lifter and rocker when moving the pushrod up and down. Another is incorrectly installed poly-locks, assuming that you're using them...backing off and creating unwanted space...but that doesn't sound as if it is the case with standard (factory) rocker arms.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the rocker body isn't clearing the retainer at some point in its travel. I'd look into it to see what you can see. Take off one of the rocker arms and look it over to see if you've got a new shiny spot. Look at the retainer too to see if there is a "dent" or other indication of wear. That is the only thing that I can think of where you could run it for 5 minutes and likely not have something catastrophic happen.

Something else that you can do when posting is be sure to include your camshaft details, as these can sometimes point out the obvious rather quickly.

I definitely do not recommend further running until the problem is found and fixed.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:12   #7 (permalink)

sitting the lifters in a container and covering with oil before putting in engine is a BIG NO NO any engine builder will tell you this [ well the ones who know what there doing ]
turbomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:13   #8 (permalink)

i had a set of these anti pump up lifters. they too made considerable noise. i had rhoads brand and it claimed that they would in deed make noise like a solid lifter and it was normal. i ran them without any problem i really enjoyed having them above a regular hydralic lifter i notice a definet power increase down low and i gained about 300rpm top end. good luck with it and i dont think i would worry about the noise since my instructions clearly stated that they will make a lot of noise. just make sure preload is to specification and everything is secure and you should have no worries. perhaps just call the hotline to make sure. maybe they are not exactly the same as the rhoads but i would assume they must be the same design and i have heard they are.
musclemustang8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 19:22   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomania
sitting the lifters in a container and covering with oil before putting in engine is a BIG NO NO any engine builder will tell you this [ well the ones who know what there doing ]
I don't use this method either. I think even the Crane site say not to. Especially with hydraulic, as when you go to set the preload, the lifters can be "solid" and not let you set the correct preload into it.
Priming the oiling system is what get oil in there.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 21:26   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Rob

THE OTHER THING THAT NO -ONE HAS MENTION IS THAT YOU MAY HAVE LOST : A FEW LOBES OFF THE CAM , WHICH IS COMMON PROBLEM IF THE RIGHT SPRING IS NOT USED IE : NOT TAKING THE INNER OUT WHEN RUNNING
IN A NEW CAM OR USING STD SPRINGS TO RUN IN A AFTERMARKET CAM
ALKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech