not f'ing happy jan, more problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 13:23   #1 (permalink)

not f'ing happy jan, more problems

Hey all,

The weekend consisted of the final work to get the car ready for a roadworthy that was meant to happen today... I detailed everything, fixed up all the little things that could make them say no etc. I got to the rocker covers and noticed a little bit of surface rust, and thought screw it, i'll take them off, clean them, sandblast them, and respray them.

To my disapointment, when pulling the passenger side r/c off, i found a heap of sludgy shit sitting on the deck of the head. The inside of the rocker cover looked like it had been powder coated, the shit was that hard and thick.

Now, heres the strange thing right, when i replaced the intake man gaskets mentioned in my previous posts, the valley was remarkably clean. When the water pump was pulled off and replaced, the water galleries in the front of the motor were also remarkably clean.

basically i have a big WTF!!! i don't want to have to strip the motor down and rebuild it as aparently its been done not so long ago. Is there any way i can get this shit out of the heads, and possibly flush the oil system to get any more crud out that might be hiding somewhere.

Also, I started it with the covers off to see if there was oil flowing where it should be, like out the top of the pushrods.. Couldn't see shit :(. I pulled the first rocker and pushrod out, and the push rod was completely blocked, i cleaned it the best i could to the point where degreaser can now be sprayed through it and it comes out clean. I put it all back together and started teh motor again... still no oil :( I've checked that i have pressure, and if you look down the bigger pushrod holes with a torch while the motor is running, u can see oil flowing back across the valley.

A mate said that the lifters could be stuffed and not be providing an oil feed... but they're not noisy at all... this motos is one of the quietest clevo's i've ever heard, yet i find all this gunk in there..

Any suggestion would be greatly apreciated, cause i'm completely stuck on what to do, as i said, i don't wanna have to rebuild the motor :(
xemeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 14:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: not f'ing happy jan, more problems

Looks like you may have been runnung without a PCV or a blocked up one, or maybe a head gasket leak. My 302 block had done 270,000 ks and and 1 inch thick slurry in the sump but oil flowed thru all pushrods fine!
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 15:29   #3 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

Never change your oil and it turns back to the sludge it began life as, let your pusrods soak in some kenco degreaser over night then use compressed air to blow em open.

u can clean the heads but its not pretty and not really nesassary.

Oh yeah your bottom end may have been rebuilt if valley is clean but heads are dirty. Alot of ppl dont touch the heads when they do a cheapy rebuild on the bottom end.
Old 11-15-2004, 16:21   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, i think i'll give that kenco stuff a go... And i'll do my best to clean the heads anyways just for a peace of mind. I intend draining the oil and trying my best to flush out all the crap from the oil drains.

Thanks for your input guys, i'll let ya know how it goes
Old 11-15-2004, 18:09   #5 (permalink)

What i hate about this whole ordeal, is that the guy that had this motor before me, that aparently rebuilt it, is aparently a mechanic :/

I change oil in my motors every 5000 regardless. And planned to with this one as well, I guess i'm lucky that i wanted to repaint the rocker covers, otherwise i wouldn't have found the shit in the heads.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?? I'd just like to hear how you dealt with it
Old 11-15-2004, 21:17   #6 (permalink)

try draining your oil and run some really thin home brand shit oil in it with a new filter and buy some engine flush, I think wynnes do one, run that for 10 minutes or so untill its nice and warm (dont drive it, just let it idle) then drop the oil while its still hot, this should clean it right up (did this on a 250 XF that hadnt been going in a couple of years because the lifters wouldn't come up, fix it up no problems) then replace with your good oil (I use HPR 40) and a good quality filter.

You might want to clean out those push rods first tho.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:24   #7 (permalink)
Proudly Average

diesel flush it - drain the oil, put 6 litres of diesel in there, run it for 10 seconds, drain the diesel, fill it with cheap shit oil, run that for an hour or so, then drain and fill with your normal oil...
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38   #8 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

nulon have products for flushing oil and freeing up lifters to
Just an option
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:54   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all your advice guys. BUT... after cleaning more of the sludge off and getting a mate to have a look at it, we have now discovered that the first exhaust valve on the passenger side is completed screwed. The sound that i thought was an exhaust leak, is actually blow by past the valve. Makes alot more sence now as to where the carbony looking shit around that area came from. I'll be ringing Perry's engine recons in brisbane today to find out how much to reco the heads. I'm dreading pulling them off, I don't wanna find any more problems :/
Old 11-16-2004, 13:59   #10 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
diesel flush it - drain the oil, put 6 litres of diesel in there, run it for 10 seconds, drain the diesel, fill it with cheap shit oil, run that for an hour or so, then drain and fill with your normal oil...
Ummm...don't do that. Run the oil pump using an oil primer not the engine...if you value the condition of your bearings, cam lobes/lifters and cylinder bores at all.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech