Ford Forums banner

oil pumps

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cjperformance 
#1 ·
I have a 351 clevo with around 450 hp i am going to rebuild the motor but i want to know what oil pump to use eg, standard or standard with morroso with 100psi spring or high volume engine has restrictors in mains.

#2 ·
hi. i like to use melling/speedpro hi volume pump, restrictor kit(only to cam bearings if using hydraulic cam) and match the pump outlet and block inlet to each other. i also (if you want to be picky) run an external line from main oil gallery(next to fuel pump hole) to rear of block where oil press gauge gallery is. its an old school trick but is effective in high load applications(N2O, super or turbo charging) or circuit type cars. This will hold 40 to 50 psi at idle and around 80 (releif spring pressure) at revs. i never use the 100 psi springs but you can if you want to. i use penrite HPR15 oil in them to. yes you can get a couple more HP out of them if you use the thin(racing) oils. but i dont think the tiny gain is worth the shoster bearing life. hope that helps. cheers

#4 ·
hv pump is fine with bronze gear, i always put a light chamfer(.75mm across) on the edge of the bronze gear teeth, it does seem to help them in any application. and of course use cam lube on the gear when assembling. if you run a real thick oil and give the motor a hard time before the oil is above about 80 degC you will wear any dissy gear, but if the oil is of normal weight and up to temp, no prob's.

#6 ·
10,000km? the only time i have seen a bronze gear(or any dizzy gear) wear out in 10.000km is if it is used in the wrong application, fitted incorrectly or just an el-cheapo crappy part(cam or gear). a quality bronze gear will not wear out in 10,000km, you will in fact(when used with matching quality components) get many 100's of thousand km's out of one. just as an example the early(92up) 5.0L windsor HO motor has a steel roller cam as a factory fitment and uses a bronze dissy gear and will easily do 3-400,000km before needing a recon, then when pulled down, you will usually find that the cam is in perfect condition, and you will also find that the bronze dissy gear is perfectly good to put back in again. a high pressure oil pump spring will of course put more load on the dissy gear so when you use one you must take the time to make sure the cam and dissy gear mesh correctly so that you dont have a wear problem, another point to note is that there is no need to run a high pressure spring in a ford V8 engine unless it is running extremely high revs(8000 or above) or unless a very high ammount of N2O, turbo or supercharger boost is used in a high revving engine, and an engine like this would be pulled down regularly anyway for inspection so the small wear you will get can be assesed and dealt with at this time. i hope this clears up some of the myths surrounding bronze gears. when a failure of a part is encountered it is always too easy to just shitcan the part and blame it rather than take a good look, do some tests and checks and find out what you did wrong to cause the failure, it may not be any more than the fact that you were just given the wrong information in the first place and with best intentions you fitted it correctly but in the wrong application. in my experience, bronze gears & high volume pumps work well and give good service life. thanx

#8 ·
who is they? a polymer gear would be a good thing if it were reliable. as with any metal component running on another metal component there is of course some wear with time, this metal ends up in the oil and therefore the rest of the motor too, all be it a minute ammount of metal it must cause some damage to other components over time, a polymer gear should eliminate this and help make things even more reliable. some engines have been using polymer dissy drive gears for years already, but, none of those are also driving the oil pump, at this stage atleast, the best way is the proven way. trust me, if you prepare a bronze gear properly you will not have any problems at all. as with any gear that runns on another gear the mesh must be checked and must be correct, would you just slap in a set of diff gears without checking how they mesh, of course not, a dissy gear is no different. thanx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.