oil weight opinions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 04:55   #1 (permalink)

oil weight opinions

i'm about to switch to synthetic after doing 5000 miles on 10W-30 valvoline cahanging at every 1000. considering mobil 1 10W-30 except fot the cost.
it seems on the network 54 355 series forum most guys seem to run 10W-30 oils. but i notice from other ol posts alot of people here running heavier oils. i can see that 20-50 is a safe old weight but alot of the penrite oils are even heavier. just curious as to the opposing schools of thought here as the difference between 10-30 and say HPR50 at 40-70 or even HPR30 at 20-60 is pretty big.
i would have thought an engine that has trouble keeping oil up top would be better with a thinner oil that will drain back quickly?

your opinions anyone?
anyone gone kinda half way with say a 15-40?
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 05:11   #2 (permalink)
V8 man

Re: oil weight opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
i'm about to switch to synthetic after doing 5000 miles on 10W-30 valvoline cahanging at every 1000. considering mobil 1 10W-30 except fot the cost.
it seems on the network 54 355 series forum most guys seem to run 10W-30 oils. but i notice from other ol posts alot of people here running heavier oils. i can see that 20-50 is a safe old weight but alot of the penrite oils are even heavier. just curious as to the opposing schools of thought here as the difference between 10-30 and say HPR50 at 40-70 or even HPR30 at 20-60 is pretty big.
i would have thought an engine that has trouble keeping oil up top would be better with a thinner oil that will drain back quickly?

your opinions anyone?
anyone gone kinda half way with say a 15-40?
Some of penrite's oils like HPR50 are just friggin' grease!Just pour them into the rocker cover and watch how long they take to drain down into the motor compared to say mobile 1.No passenger car needs oil this thick and all it does is put enormous pressure on your cam gear and oil pump drive,the latter sometimes snapping if to many revs are used when the engine is cold...If your clearances are tight i.e not rooted,go for thinner oils every time-they are horsepower
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:18   #3 (permalink)

what do you run yourself GS?
i cant really understand the thick oil odea myself but intersted in why some people run it?
i like to change oil frequently. anyone recommend a low weight synth oil that not gonna cost as much as mobil one or is it worth the bucks?

while on oil,whats brand for a readily available quality filter?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:50   #4 (permalink)
V8 man

Quote:
i cant really understand the thick oil odea myself but intersted in why some people run it?
i like to change oil frequently. anyone recommend a low weight synth oil that not gonna cost as much as mobil one or is it worth the bucks?

I use castrol formula R which has just been renamed Edge.I use the 10-60 grade full synthetic and have been doing so for nearly ten years...Price varies,used to be $39.95!around $50 now.My car only does a couple of thousand kays a year so I change it once a year.I had castrol GP50 in it years ago (25-50)and couldn't get over how much more responsive the engine was when the oil was cold when i switched to 10-60 formula R.You can notice the cranking of the engine when it's cold is quite a bit easier with it as well...I have always used motorcraft oil filters and couldn't speak more highly of them.Best way to buy them is to go to your local ford parts department and push 'em for a bulk deal-3x6 packs for example you end up getting them for around $4.50 each!ryco are ok as well but I have had a few of them stick the anti drain back valve-not nice for your ears or bottom end!
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:42   #5 (permalink)

I use Penrite HPR 15. Wouldn't bother with expensive fully synthetic oils in a old design motor.Wouldn't use rediculously heavy oil in a fresh old design motor either, henc my choice of HPR 15 (20W-60). Penrite recommend HPR 50 (40W-70) for a Cleveland, might be OK in a stuffed Cleveland.
Old 03-06-2006, 13:03   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Thick oil such as HPR 50 is designed for old motors that have big clearances and can't get oil pressure. And it works well.
No engine should be revved when cold anyway regardless of oil.

I'm curious - what does your engine have in it? Why the oil changes at 1000 miles and why synthetic?
There are many good mineral oils on market that sustain changing at a lot greater distance than 1000 mls.

I tend to run 20/40 oils mostly for our climate. 10w is a bit light imo.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 15:56   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
Thick oil such as HPR 50 is designed for old motors that have big clearances and can't get oil pressure. And it works well.
No engine should be revved when cold anyway regardless of oil.

I'm curious - what does your engine have in it? Why the oil changes at 1000 miles and why synthetic?
There are many good mineral oils on market that sustain changing at a lot greater distance than 1000 mls.

I tend to run 20/40 oils mostly for our climate. 10w is a bit light imo.
ok so HPR50 wouldnt really be run on a new motor,fair enough. ive just been changing every thousnad while running in a bit, its a new blueprint motor,and i was told to do this by the guy that built it, like everything you listen to what people have to say and try make up your own mind..but so much choice and opinions,what 20-40 oil do you run northey? happy with it?
Old 03-06-2006, 17:08   #8 (permalink)

Over a long time period i've used a lot of different brands and weights of oil for race and street cars.

Mainly used BP, Pennzoil, Penrite. I personally think almost any decent brand will do the job. I always stayed away from cheap stuff, only used synthetic for short while - never found anything outstanding with it so stuck with mineral bases.

In areas of high ambient temperatures it pays to use a slightly heavier weight than in cold areas simply because oil thins out a bit when hot.
I take notice of oil company recommendations for their products. After all they're the ones doing the research. But also I choose in the end, regardless of recommendations.

When drag racing we used straight 50W oil on methanol. Just had to heat the engine up properly before revving. Might take 10- 12 minutes sometimes. Pennzoil worked extremely well; Penrite did not (didn't seem to cope with alcohol for some reason). Never lost an engine; just not happy with it's appearance after running.
I use Penrite in one street engine now, no problems.

I have run 15W40 before - in a diesel 4WD engine and also a clevo 302. Was happy with it.

Trucking companies do a lot of oil analysis to ensure their engines do the correct amount of work between rebuilds. That stuff can be interesting reading at times; the amount of information and potential problems they find can be surprising.

You're right. There are a lot options and it gets confusing. And new engines need good clean oil.
Sticking to one company for a time (as long as you're happy) can be worthwhile. I did often use BP help line for info for oils; found it very helpful.

cheers
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 22:43   #9 (permalink)

thanks for your advice.yes ive noted that even the oil companies differ somewhat in their recommendations of what weight to use in an old style v8.
but yes i think i might run a little thicker and look at 15-40 or 20-40 or around there.might try a few of the advice lines though .thanks
scott
Old 03-09-2006, 23:54   #10 (permalink)
Country Boy Rippin it up!

in my 302 Clevo im using 10-40w Castrol Magnatec it seems to work well

in my Daily driver a 3.9 EA with 300,000 odd kays im using penrite HPR50 40-70 trying to delay a rebuild for as long as possable, i would go a little thicker for the warmer months if i could find anything.
GTFORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech