oiling system - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 04:05   #1 (permalink)

oiling system

Gday guys im am building 351 clev for circuit racing i no the oiling system in clevo is not that good .What mods would people suggest to keep everything oiled and stop from blowing up . A few quick spec on engine are
bottom end girdle
302 rods
restictor kit
4v closed chamber
comp cam in 256 exh 266 @50 .589 .615
tfc manifold
825cfm demon
4 into 1 s
acl race sereis pistons
circuit pan (over $1000 for a sump)
and also what sort of power do u think i can get out of this combo .Any other specs u would like to know i can give thx for any help guys .
DUB RACING
dub racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 04:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: oiling system

Other than bushing the lifter bores, theres not much more i can see that needs to be done, without changing blocks alltogether..
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:44   #3 (permalink)

Ever thought about running a dry sump setup? These offer theultimate in oil control especially on a circuit engine and the good thing is you can plumb it directly into the mains to solve any deficiencies the standard oil system may have and run one stage of the pump as a crankcase evac as well. Oil tends to get pump upstairs quite efficiently as well and the drainback system could do with opening up of the holes somewhat to help or perhaps external oil drainback lines. Another great gizmo is the Ford Racing rocker covers with internal oil sprayers that oil the rocker gear and valvesprings with a light shower of oil.They use this setup on Nextel Cup engines (and probably v8 supercars) so you know it must be good.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:07   #4 (permalink)

Dry sump are banned in the class i will be doing .As for lifter bores next time coudnt afford this time after this motor will build another wit billet crank h beams and lifter bores .I was toying with the idea of plumbing the rocker covers to the sump and trying to get oil down bottom faster that way as of heard they fill top end.
dub racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:27   #5 (permalink)
Smoke? What Smoke?

use extra restrictors around no1 main feed and front cam feed.
lotsa side clearance
Red04VXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:03   #6 (permalink)
V8 man

Use full synthetic oil and if your sump has trap door baffles in it the big clevo will hang together.Not a bad idea to do a bit of deburing around all of the drain back holes in the block too cause some are pretty ordinary.Lastly its a good idea to open up the oil inlet on the block,gasket match the pump outlet and the block inlet and then the oil filter side can do with a bit of a nice chamfering...Happy grinding dude!
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:07   #7 (permalink)
Smoke? What Smoke?

and a good quality oil cooler doesnt hurt either.
Red04VXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 16:10   #8 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub racing
Gday guys im am building 351 clev for circuit racing i no the oiling system in clevo is not that good .What mods would people suggest to keep everything oiled and stop from blowing up . A few quick spec on engine are
bottom end girdle
302 rods
restictor kit
4v closed chamber
comp cam in 256 exh 266 @50 .589 .615
tfc manifold
825cfm demon
4 into 1 s
acl race sereis pistons
circuit pan (over $1000 for a sump)
and also what sort of power do u think i can get out of this combo .Any other specs u would like to know i can give thx for any help guys .
DUB RACING
What kind of circuit racing are you going to do? Personally id look at a better piston/rod combination (unless you mean the forged RACE only ACL piston) and speak to an engine builder who's built race clevelands.
Building a reliable tough circuit motor is a totally different ball game to building a tough street strip motor.
At a quick glance id say that combo would make approx 490HP @6800 rpm on PULP.
Old 10-27-2005, 16:50   #9 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Why dont you give Mick Webb or better still give Jim Sepherd a ring he has forgotten more than Mick webb will ever know, plus he has built some tough NASCAR motors over the years.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:03   #10 (permalink)

hi, the trick is to limit the amount of oil going to the top end. in the old days they used oil restrictor kits. about $25 and 1 hour to fit to a bare block. these days you can just turn the cam bearings so that only 25% of the hole is open to the oil gallary. iv done this many times and so do all the racers and speedway guys that i know. hope this helps...glen
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech