Only People With AFD Heads Apply Please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 06:29   #1 (permalink)

Only People With AFD Heads Apply Please

Just want people that are using AFD heads on there motors or have brought them to put on please apply here. Just getting a idea on times at the track with AFD. Or motors that have been dynoed with them. Let me know your thoughts on them. Or if you know of other guys that are using them. Cheers
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 15:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: Only People With AFD Heads Apply Please

I have an XE that i have a set on. It is very basic combo 6 inch ford rods, standard stroke 2v AFD's. F246 crane cam, 11.2:1 comp, active intake, bg750 carb,c4-4500 stall, 4.3gears with 28x9 slicks, fullstreet weight (FAIRMONT GHIA) and it runs 11.47@118mph all day every day. I am very happy.
xwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 17:10   #3 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!

There are a few people on this forum that have AFD 4v's that I know of. Ruger, Jet711 and me.

Ruger's i think is a 377 and was engine dynoed at somewhere around 550-570hp & 500ft/lbs?

Jet711's combo I don't think is sorted or dynoed yet?

I've slapped on these heads to my mystery standard stroke bottom end until the stroker short comes along which I believe the heads are more suited to.

I have had it on-off the road since January..more off the road...waiting for diff etc.

I was going to race it last wednesday as i managed to find some 28" tall street tires, but the track closed due to wild weather!. No use racing with 25" tall tires & 4.56 gears.

We went for a cruise with a few falcon's that night, one being an iron headed 4v stroker. We had a bit of a squirt and I admit he was pulling away from me, 'could not rev mine past 6200 as it started to valve bounce! The stick is way to big for the isky 6105's... lift is in the mid 600's and that spring is only recommended for up to 550 with 315lbs open. sad but true!

I can't wait for my stroker!!! although i may change the springs and race it before then... we'll see how motivated i get. I'ts just been in my garage for way too long!
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 17:18   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for those 2 posts guys. They seem to be working ok on your engines. Yes i think they are more suited to stroker engines. I cant wait to have mine finished. But i reckon it will be next year though as everything to bolt and nut is going to be brand new. I am hoping for 600+ hp and hoping to run very low 10S and 9S on gas.
Old 09-01-2005, 19:09   #5 (permalink)

Im going monday to dyno and tune, just havent had the time for it lately! im hanging to race it, but just been to busy with work, i really need to do the exhaust ive only got a twin 2.5inch press bent ! i think with pipes and a good tune it should eat the ground, i goes pretty good now, i have only raced one person to judge how it goes, my friends rx3 with 13b turbo, its got about 350hp at the rear, i had a full car he had a single person with him, i jumped him down low and he slowly was catching, we were line ball at 160kays.....He wheel spun 1st and 2nd, but my clutch is gone so i cant change gear very quickly and i was carrying an extra 200kg....... He will destroy me when he puts the boost to 25 pounds, but at over 400+ hp at the rear and only weighing 1000kgs id need to send th xy for liposuction to compete
Jet711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 19:33   #6 (permalink)
Resident Budget Racer

The servo around the corner does some performance work.
They have an XC in at the mo getting AFD 2vs, a 248@50 hyd roller, and TFC mani. The guy building it is following AFD Daves advice and says it should be good for 450-500fwhp.

I am watching with interest and have already worded the owner up to let me know when he is taking it to the track.

I've also hear Cleveland Tech may be renamed "The Sandpit", if the current level of sh*t continues
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:43   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
Just want people that are using AFD heads on there motors or have brought them to put on please apply here. Just getting a idea on times at the track with AFD. Or motors that have been dynoed with them. Let me know your thoughts on them. Or if you know of other guys that are using them. Cheers
Hey Crochunter,
I know you're looking for 1/4 mile times but I thought you might find this interesting.
I had my AFD 4v's flow-tested & they produced 585.46hp @ .600" lift on the intake.
Last week we changed the valve seat angles & they picked up 72hp! Now produce 657.69hp @ .600" lift, 661.49hp @ .650" lift.
They're still a bit low on the exhaust side so now we're trying 20degree tulip valves. Hopefully that will pick them up.
Standard CHI 218's flowed 623.47hp @ .600" lift on the intakes, but the exhaust side was heaps better on the CHI's, about 40hp better than the AFD's.
Hopefully, changing the exhaust valves on my AFD's will bring them up to a more acceptable level, equal to or better than the CHI's.
Like you, I'll be running giggle gas so I definitely need the exhaust flow to improve.
Cheers, from Mal.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 23:53   #8 (permalink)

So wasnt the afds flowing what they meant to out of the box.
Old 11-20-2005, 00:44   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
So wasnt the afds flowing what they meant to out of the box.
They're supposed to flow 680hp out of the box. Originally they only flowed 585hp. We're up to 661hp but we'll never reach 680hp without porting & bowl work. Now I'm not blaming the heads completely, I think some of it was the wanker here in Caloundra that originally fitted the valves & did the seats. He'll go un-named but I'm sure anyone from this area would know who I'm talking about. A so-called performance expert.
I've attached the most recent flow chart. The higher cfm flow is tested at 7" pressure but corrected to 10". This equates to approx. 350cfm @ 28".
Notice how low the exhaust flow & inlet/exhaust percentage is. Ideally, the in/ex ratio should be 70% or above, especially with nitrous, which means we need to get the exhaust flow up to approx 450hp. Hopefully with the new valves & some unshrouding & minor porting we'll get the exhaust flow up to where it should be. I'll let you know how we go in the next couple of weeks.
I can post the CHI 218 flow chart for comparison for anyone that's interested.
Also, I'm not getting into a shit-fight over which is better, CHI or AFD. Each seem to have their strengths & weaknesses & I reckon the end result would be almost identical in flow & horsepower. Both need work to get them up to where they should be. When you pay over $2000 for either pair, you shouldn't have to spend another grand to get them to work as advertised!
Cheers, from Mal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afd flow chart.jpg (118.8 KB, 53 views)
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:14   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Sounds like the CHI's had an untidy seat area which once cleaned up the flow 680hp. Takes less than 15mins a head. That's the problem with buying bare heads your getting raw casting and not out of the box.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech