Original Clevo Carbies - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2004, 14:02   #1 (permalink)

Original Clevo Carbies

Hey all,

I'm getting a bit confused. My 600 holley is playing up a bit, like leaking fuel between the baseplate and body of the carb. The float levels are fine etc. We replaced the metering block, gaskets etc, still the same problem. I put a straight edge on the face of the body of the carb where the metering block attaches, and the damn thing is warped. I've also been told that 750's have a much better idle circuit on them than the 600vs. I'm kinda up in the air at the moment, cause i've been doing some research on the standard Carter carbies that come with clevo's. The main site that I looked at said that they are an awesome carb, just nobody can tune them. Aparently if you set them up correctly they're a set and forget application.

The reason i'm asking is, I have one of these Carters, as it was the original carb that came with the car. It was taken off and put away when the new motor went in, and hasn't been touched since.

I'm not sure of what model it is, but it came on a 302 clevo in an XE. I know for sure that it is the plastic type body one. Just wanna know if anyone here is running one, and if so, how does it go etc?

For now, i'm more happy to have a relyable motor, that returns better fuel economy than it is at the moment, as this holley is chewing fuel from the leak.

The other thing i forgot to mention is, when both idle screws on the holley are screwed in... the motor still runs happily :S

Let me know what you guys think.
xemeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 15:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Original Clevo Carbies

If you have a warped base plate that will allow air into the manifold negating the effect of the idle bleeds. Also check that you dont have any other vacuum leaks around the manifold.
Have a look at the attached document for some info on the thermoquad carbies, please note that I am not the author of this doc and it was downloaded from the web some time ago, If the original owner has issues I am happy for the mods to delete.
Regards,
tote
Attached Files
File Type: doc Carter Thermoquad Information Page.doc (48.5 KB, 38 views)
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 15:27   #3 (permalink)

Thats the document that I was refering to when i said about the research :D

I've read all of it, and hence why i'm considering putting a kit through this carb and using it. Just want to know what the more experienced ppl on here think, as I'm basically relying on advise for this choise.

Its not the baseplate of the carb that is warped, its the actual body of the carb, where the metering block screws onto :(

There are no other vac leaks, i've checked that a few times. I just wanna know if anyone else uses a Carter, or what everyone thinks of them for a very mild 351, keeping in mind i want a decent amount of aconomy.

I mean, at the moment with the way the carb is leaking, $30 of fuel returned just on 100k's, and during that 100k's, there was no lead footedness at all(i wanted to see how long i could make the $30 worth of fuel last).

So yeah, any more suggestions would be great :)
Old 11-29-2004, 15:54   #4 (permalink)
Buff XC

If the thermoquad is tuned correctly it will be easily adequate for a mild 351. My one has been tuned with the use of a dyno and a very good mechanic, and I can assure you the 302c heads are a way bigger restriction than the carbie.
Wouldn't know how economical it is though, as I run on lpg, and only use fuel when I desire power.
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 17:03   #5 (permalink)

What i guess i really wanna know is, the worst case senario downsides to this type of carb, and the problems that other people have had with them etc
Old 11-29-2004, 17:28   #6 (permalink)

As far as I know, one of the biggest problems with them used to be that the rods in the base plate that the throttle butterfly mount to are steel and the body is plastic. The rods have a rep for wearing away the plastic and causes them to leak and you weren't able to get them re-bushed, so everyone threw them out and bolted on a holley. But they were always a good carb. Cant help you with much more than that.
Old 11-29-2004, 18:20   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, everyone is telling me to get a different holley. i've been quoted $595 for a new 750vs. Its a real pain having to think about shelling out that sorta money, after this one was completely rebuilt for $325 and has done a total of just over 300k's and is stuffed again :(
It would be alright if it just didn't go through so much fuel because of the leak
Old 11-30-2004, 03:43   #8 (permalink)

Hello xemeanmachine.
If you have the Carter thermoquad then give it a try. They flow about 650 cfm. If they are tuned properly then they can be a good carby. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try. There are places in the US that can sell you kits/metering rods etc. There are places that are competent to rebuild and tune the thermoquads. If you are in Melbourne I know of a place in Clayton that does a good job.
The Thermoquads were originally bolted onto big block Chryslers (440 cu) and flowed approx. 800cfm. The vacuum secondaries kicking in are a joy to experience, thats for sure.
Cheers
Craig
kionga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:28   #9 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by xemeanmachine
Yeah, everyone is telling me to get a different holley. i've been quoted $595 for a new 750vs. Its a real pain having to think about shelling out that sorta money, after this one was completely rebuilt for $325 and has done a total of just over 300k's and is stuffed again :(
It would be alright if it just didn't go through so much fuel because of the leak
You can get rebuilt 750 vac sec electric choke $375 or man choke $395 from Hume Performance see www.holley.com.au or advert in Street Machine p141 Probably less if you trade yours in or get yours rebuilt by the experts

Personally I like the thermoquad and nothing beats the sound of those vac secondaries opening up and hearing the induction roar. I got 21 mpg from a 351 with 2.77 gears on a trip at 100kph so you can get economy from them (thats about 540km from a 16 gallon (72 litre) tank)
Old 11-30-2004, 15:45   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kionga
Hello xemeanmachine.
If you have the Carter thermoquad then give it a try. They flow about 650 cfm. If they are tuned properly then they can be a good carby. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try. There are places in the US that can sell you kits/metering rods etc. There are places that are competent to rebuild and tune the thermoquads. If you are in Melbourne I know of a place in Clayton that does a good job.
The Thermoquads were originally bolted onto big block Chryslers (440 cu) and flowed approx. 800cfm. The vacuum secondaries kicking in are a joy to experience, thats for sure.
Cheers
Craig
Definitely with you on the 'joy to experience' thing. I have three runners, 1 x 302 and 2 x 351s. My 78 LTD gets approx 420ks per 72 litres of fuel (17.5 mpg). My XC ute with a fully rebuilt engine/carb gets exactly the same mileage, where as the Fairlane gets 16mpg (302), don't ask me why. Personally, I would not use anything else as the clevelands idle very smoothly with the Carters and the secondaries coming in are a thing of beauty.

Yes, they are a pain in the arse to set up/tune but there is one place I know of in Perth that does an extremely good job. However, if you are into performance etc, best off going with the Holley's. Carters should be set up and left alone and only touched if they need it.

Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech