overheating issuse - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 05:35   #1 (permalink)

overheating issuse

can someone help me?My clevo over heats when i sustain 100kph for too long.or when sitting in traffic.have checked all obvious causes.replaced fans thermostats and etc.It is driving me insane!but when i cruise at 80kph it seems ok.please help me!
headbangersbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 05:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: overheating issuse

how long have you had car , ie has it just started happening after a long time of normal temp
there has been other posts inb the pasts on here and fordmods about clevelands overheating , there is a lot to go through , has anyone followed them all and can give some advice for the newcomers , not me
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:03   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Mine does similar but I have to sit around 120kph. I can tell you what it is It's the thermostat is open and the water is circulating too fast to cool.

When mine does it I just switch on the thermo's and it cools nicely.
Old 08-05-2005, 22:31   #4 (permalink)

What sort of radiator, what sort of fan, what sort of shroud, what size pulleys are they (roughly; are they ford or aftermarket), what sort of water pump.....?, there are a few variables.

But, your symptoms sound like a shroud issue (at a guess anyway, without all the relevant info). A shroud not only makes the fan suck air through the radiator at low speed/idle, but it also slows the air down at high speeds on the road. If the air is going too fast (around 100.....) then it doesn't have time to absorb heat from the radiator as it rushes through the core. If you have a shroud fitted (of the correct type), then the air has more time to pick up heat and the engine runs cooler.

That's guess number one. Most people don't seem to realise that the most efficient cooling system (rad, fan, shroud, pulleys, etc) is the one that Ford designed. Obviously a strong engine will need the best that Ford offered (3 core, extra width radiator for XA onwards, flex fan, correct pulley sizes, and, most importantly, a functional thermostat !!!...).
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:17   #5 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Could also be an overbored block..............

Your water pump may be cavitating and not circulating the water........

Tou may be running the Windsor stat instead of the proper Clevo one, the look similar but as some of us here have found out work and seal differently.

Search these forums and you'll find literally hundreds of replies on this issue and some damned good advice from those of us who have been there......

Good Luck
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:22   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I run the DT66 myself. I notice it's a little more steady with temps.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:51   #7 (permalink)

Thermostat , had same prob with mine
borgiewindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech