Parker Funnelweb - under bonnet? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2004, 15:19   #1 (permalink)

Parker Funnelweb - under bonnet?

Last night I measured the assembled height of my 2V Funnelweb manifold, 750 Holley, 1 3/4" drop air filter housing with a 3" Filter. Total height less gaskets was 315mm.

I then placed some cardboard on top of the airfilter of the motor currently residing in the XB. The top of the cardboard was at the same height as where the top of the Funnelweb assembly will be. I closed the bonnet and then reopened it. The cardboard had been crushed by around 10mm.

Joy of Joys!
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 15:21   #2 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Re: Parker Funnelweb - under bonnet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Last night I measured the assembled height of my 2V Funnelweb manifold, 750 Holley, 1 3/4" drop air filter housing with a 3" Filter. Total height less gaskets was 315mm.

I then placed some cardboard on top of the airfilter of the motor currently residing in the XB. The top of the cardboard was at the same height as where the top of the Funnelweb assembly will be. I closed the bonnet and then reopened it. The cardboard had been crushed by around 10mm.

Joy of Joys!
Time to take that funnelweb to a machine shop and get 15mm milled off the plennum...
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 15:52   #3 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Bugger that! Time to take to your hood with an angle grinder
Old 09-27-2004, 17:30   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

one of my worries too. If you can't get it under the bonnet, the problem then is finding a scoop that doesn't look wanky .. which is near impossible these days
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 18:01   #5 (permalink)

I will not put a bonnet scoop on it. A XB GS Coupe with a vinyl roof will not look good with a scoop.

I could try a 2" filter and K&N Extreme Filter top. This will give me an extra inch and hence some clearance.

Milling the manifold will remove the 'clover leaf'. Undesirable but perhaps necesary.

Were the XY engine mounts lower than the XA-XE mounts? This could give exhaust clearance issues.
Old 09-27-2004, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Quote:
I could try a 2" filter and K&N Extreme Filter top. This will give me an extra inch and hence some clearance.

Go for that set up. I know it works because my bro has this set up in his XB. It's not ideal....but almost. The extreme top does a good job of compensating for the smaller height filter. DO NOT MILL the manifold as it has been suggested that you can lose HP.

This way you can have your cake and eat it as well..............
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 19:35   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
I will not put a bonnet scoop on it. A XB GS Coupe with a vinyl roof will not look good with a scoop.

Milling the manifold will remove the 'clover leaf'. Undesirable but perhaps necesary.

Were the XY engine mounts lower than the XA-XE mounts? This could give exhaust clearance issues.
I don't blame you about the scoop. The only issue is if there is no way of lowering the carby enough then something has to give and aircleaners through the bonnet may look good but they are not roadworthy .. but it depends on whether that bothers you or not I spose.
ESP's brother's car run's 12.5s or thereabouts so that option can't be too shabby
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 19:51   #8 (permalink)

Hypothetically - If I had to have a scoop I would use a fibreglass bonnet in the Bathurst XC style.
Old 09-27-2004, 19:53   #9 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Go for that set up. I know it works because my bro has this set up in his XB. It's not ideal....but almost. The extreme top does a good job of compensating for the smaller height filter. DO NOT MILL the manifold as it has been suggested that you can lose HP.

This way you can have your cake and eat it as well..............
The Xtreme top gives the equivalent of an extra 1" of filter height, so it'll be about the same as the 3" filter... however, you could have a equivalent to a 4" filter if you milled it... I wonder what the trade off would work out like ie 15mm shorter plennum vs 30% more filter area?

Ben
Old 09-27-2004, 19:54   #10 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Forgot to ask, how tall is a Funnelweb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech