performance fuel pump?? wtf - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2004, 04:56   #1 (permalink)

performance fuel pump?? wtf

Ive been told that since my new cam runns till 6500 that Im going to have to fit a new 'performance' pump, whats the go with these, whats out there and what do you look for when shopping for these items? Any favourites out there or conversly anything to steel clear of?
And on an unrelated note, timing chains, is there anything to be gained from one trype to another? like double vs single and straight cut etc etc.
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2004, 05:05   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: performance fuel pump?? wtf

Stick with a double rom chain. http://www.superplus.com.au sell a 90gph mechanical. Stock I think it 70gph from memory. Your next step is going electric. A holley blue @ 110gph and then the mallory or holley @ 140gph.

I'd try the 90gph mechanical but if it does run that high you maybe reaching it's limits and require a holley blue electric.

Brenden
Old 09-26-2004, 05:09   #3 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikGan
Ive been told that since my new cam runns till 6500 that Im going to have to fit a new 'performance' pump, whats the go with these, whats out there and what do you look for when shopping for these items? Any favourites out there or conversly anything to steel clear of?
And on an unrelated note, timing chains, is there anything to be gained from one trype to another? like double vs single and straight cut etc etc.
It's common sense to give your engine more fuel if you make more power.A holley Mechanical pump work very well and if you go electric again the Holley Blue pump works quite well but very noisy.If you want to spend a little more the Mallory pumps too are good and a very quite as well.Timing chains well double will not stretch as much as a single chain in the same amount of time.If you are building a strong motor then a double timing chain is a good start.I think most brands are pretty good it all depends on who sells what.
Cheers Alex

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:23   #4 (permalink)
Nod

You can get high volume mechanical or electric pumps if your current pump is starving the engine but unless your going to spend a lot of time at high rpm you probably dont need it. If you do upgrade you may need to run bigger fuel lines and a regulator and a return line is a good idea too, then you need to make sure you keep the pressure under about 6-7psi or you start to flood the carby, so a fuel guage is a big help. Basically i'd drive it for a few weeks before deciding you need one, as you may find its fine.
I've always used the Rollmaster timing chain packed by crow cams on my engines with good success. They cost about $90. I've never bothered with the multiple keyway sprockets as I've always installed the cams to manufacturers specs.
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:50   #5 (permalink)

Here you go! My new set up just tested today. Mallory Comp 140 with 1/2" fuel lines. Should feed two 351's I'm running a return style regulator. There's an additional fuel line sending unused fuel back to the tank from the engine bay - easier on the pump over long periods.

So much to the Mallory's being quiet?? It's rubber mounted to my new fuel cell trough which acts like an amplifier/drum so it buzzes quite loud, nothing unbearable though. My mechanical holley one just died - no replacement kits available. I guess the holley blues must really make a racket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech