please need engine builder - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2004, 05:26   #1 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

please need engine builder

I need help finding engine builder
I live in perth and have all parts needed for the build
The engine 351c - 393 stroker alloy heads etc
Want someone who can do all work from engine build, advise,install in car, tuning of the car and someone trust worthy . Have tried a1 high performance and can't get anyone to call me back (very busy)I realy wanted them to do my engine .
At this stage any help would be great .Also any experience with this sort of thing would help good or bad and what prices I can expect.
Once again thank you
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2004, 06:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: please need engine builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony xa
Have tried a1 high performance and can't get anyone to call me back (very busy)I realy wanted them to do my engine .
I doubt they are that busy more like they're not interested, especially when you are supplying your own parts. They make more money when supplying parts as well.

Try Chris Mills in Welshpool (very happy with their work) they did some machining and balancing for me also gave me some advice and I put the engine together myself.

JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:33   #3 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Thanks but I have tried chris mills before I decided to get my own parts . Same thing no one returned my call , can't get anyone here in Perth to take my money .
People don't seem to take me for real .
Looks like I will have to go over east again . I have spent alot of money over east only because companies here don't take me serious.Not good for the locals but maybe they should pull their heads out of their a@#$ and realize money is money .
Old 07-16-2004, 06:41   #4 (permalink)

Actually Leon at A1 is a very honest guy, he really is THAT busy and unless you know him well or are prepared to wait a few months you would need to go elsewhere. Also he won't do any install's or tuning these days.

Personally I haven't had any direct experience myself with Chris Mills, but also have heard more unhappy stories (expensive and the odd failure) than anyone else. Doesn't give me a good vibe.

Have spoken to the guy at Quinnana a few times - Southside Engine Performance - I think they are called, I've had no direct experience with him either but he definately knows his stuff. Have only heard good things about him.

The guy at Quinnana used to work with Gary at Performance Unlimited in Welshpool which are a great outfit. Gary would be one of the best guys in Australia to talk to about Clevo's and my last rebuild was modelled off his advice - they built an identical stroker to mine for a VERY fast Mustang a few months previously - but I didn't get them to do the assembly work for me. Also heard only great things about them.

My last 3 engines have been done by Alan Nylander at AJN Performance Plus Malaga. I've been dealing with him for 15 years. He's honest, reliable and thorough. Only problem I had was a recent valve train failure but I am not in a position to say it was anything he did wrong. At all accounts it just seems like "one of those things". Other 2 motors he did for me I cained mercilessly for 5 years each with no failures and minimal wear when I did subsequent freshen ups. He's probably not up with the latest ideas as far as parts compatability etc goes that is why I sought out the advice of others as well but got Alan to do the assembly work. Also he's not too hot on the idea of doing installs, you will find many of the top guys around Perth will only work on your motor delivered door to door.

Other outfit with a reasonable reputation for quality, and they also do installs if you have to go that way, is Ray Geneve's in Oz Park. I've got most of my dyno tuning done there over the years. Find the old man Ray is good, I'm not so keen on his son's work. Last tune-up they did was pretty average.

My best advice to you is do the install yourself or with the help of a regular mechanic, that way your freed up to go to one of the top guys that just do the rebuilding and assembly. Also will keep your labour costs down that way.

As to cost, it sounds like the sort of project where it would be good to not limit yourself by budget. Personally I would rather go to a quality outfit and just ask them to build it to what I want/need and I just find the money for it even if that means going into a bit of debt for a while.

Also when you say you have all the parts, do you mean also carby, inlet, headers and ignition? Because you will save yourself $ by purchasing these yourself. Generally an engine builder will add some mark-up on these otherwise. New carb these days (BG or Holley 750/850DP), plus large bore headers, plus inlet to suit, plus MSD ignition, dizzy etc is going to set you back about $3000 all up.

(On edit) Just saw your last post whilst I was typing this one. As to going ES why bother? Have you seen the track times clevo's are doing over here compared to the ES? We're blitzing them.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:01   #5 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Thanks STROKEXD. I have everything mighty demon 825 carb crane ing and coil msd dizzy chi heads chi manifold etc and the motor is starting from a block only .I told the lady that I spoke to on the phone at a1 that I was prepared to wait 3-4 months still no phone call as of yet . Chris mills just prefer not to use them . I am prepared to install the engine myself just a bit worried about scatching the new paint .
I might give performance unlimited a try and ajn performance .
Thank you for your post it will help.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:16   #6 (permalink)

Yeah ladies name is Sue - maybe go see her to make an impact instead of just over the phone.

Just sometimes you gotta put a lever under people to get them motivated.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:17   #7 (permalink)

I did the same things in Cairns, but everone said "build it yourself". I got sick of asking and just ended up doing it myself, and it has lasted 3 years and 20000 km of hard use. It's easier than some people think.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:27   #8 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
Yeah ladies name is Sue - maybe go see her to make an impact instead of just over the phone.

Just sometimes you gotta put a lever under people to get them motivated.
Yeah I was thinking of just going in person .This way they know I am for real
Old 07-16-2004, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
Nod

If your worried about your paint then i'd definatley install it yourself. It's not that hard and i'll gaurantee you will be more carefull of the paintwork than any apprentice mechanic the shops would be using.
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:58   #10 (permalink)

Try these;

SJ Performance in Mundijong;
Call Glenn on 0438 427 494

Chapman Brothers in Mosman Park
Gary and Mark
9383 2845

Not sure if Mark and Gary will assemble, fair bet they wont install. However, ask any one that knows these two and you will only get very positive comments. Go in and talk to them, especially about other engine builders (some listed here) and see what they have to say.

Not sure of Glenn's work, but know him personally and I would say definitely worth a try. Glenn really does know Fords, more than any one I have ever met (they specialize in Ford performance parts and drag racing).

Best of luck

Paul

If all else fails, do what I and a lot of others have done, research and then put it together your self.
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech