Port Matching Manifold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 05:49   #1 (permalink)
ESP Man

confused Port Matching Manifold

My 2V heads have been ported to somewhere between 2V & 4V size.
I have bought an Edelbrock Performer manifold but the port size is obviously smaller than the inlet ports on the heads.
Should I leave the manifold as is or would it be better to "match port" the openings. If so where can I find info on how to do this i.e. match the openings correctly.
Also, I have been told to remove all but the bottom 5/8th inch of the dividing plate in the plenum for better performance. Has any tried this?
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I believe that the performer deliberately has smaller ports than the heads .. most likely for airspeed I figure. It's up to you whether you want to spend the $$ matching it but I don't feel it's worth it.
I too have heard that removing the divider can yield results, but what I read (many moons ago ) is that you want to 'tune' it to your particular engine rather than just take a set amount out. Becomes an expensive exercise doing it that way. If your motor is hot enough, go a single plane and then you won't have all these worries !!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 18:54   #3 (permalink)
ESP Man

Thanks XA.

This is in my XD which I want to run with the std bonnet so clearance is a problem as I already have a sports cleaner that droops down over the carby to avoid rubbing the underside of the bonnet.

Can you recommend a manidold that sits nice and low like the Performer
Old 05-04-2003, 23:55   #4 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

i have a redline torker single plane and it doesnt sit too high, not much more than the heads
Old 05-05-2003, 00:16   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

Thanks qwikcorty

I will check out the height of the redline. I assume you are running yours under a std bonnet. Although if your car is a TD/TE with power bulge maybe that helps it to fit?

(Just made me realise, BA XR8 power bulge is old technology)
Old 05-05-2003, 02:43   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

it also depends on how hot the motor is going to be .. don't have a mild motor with a single plane or you will lose the advantages of it.
I will pick up some HP by going to a single plane .. but the performer really does well enough for the time being
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:22   #7 (permalink)

about your question for performance the answer is defantely yes to port matching becuase when you have the air flow from you inlet manifold say at 1 and 3/4 inch for argument sake and your head at 1 and 1/2 tha airlow will start to bottle neck and then cuase a turbulence in you flow wich will drop the overall performance by about 12 to 15% you want to try and get no obstructions in your ports for maximum flow evan for high horsepower racing motors you would completely grind away the valve seating so it does not diturb the flow and gets no air pockets or turbulence. for port gring you can use a die grinder or a cutting tool of your choice but you want to get the ports as smooth as possible as in flat and chromed is ideal but it is up to you how far you go
hubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:35   #8 (permalink)
ESP Man

Thanks hubble,
But the manifold opening is smaller (being standard 2V inlet manifold) than the inlet port in the heads which have been ground out to about halfway between 2V and 4V size with 4V valves installed.
A 4V inlet manifold will be too big. Some say leave the manifold at 2V size because this will increase the airflow speed and this has the effect of ramming more into the cylinder. A dyno report with before and after figures will be the only way to be sure.
What sort of tool/stone do you use on an alloy manifold to enlarge the ports without it cloggging up with alloy?
Old 05-05-2003, 05:34   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Just champher [sp] the inlet to the gasget size.When Gatt Bros ported my heads they went to alot of trouble to dent inlet ports said it kept fuel atomised.Looked like they used a prick punch all over inlet ports.It pulled well and made heapds of difference..Who am I to argue ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:44   #10 (permalink)
ESP Man

Do you mean they put lots of little dents in the inlet manifold ports with a sharp punch?

I imagine that they would not be able to dent very far back up the ports.

I wonder if they were trying to spread the metal to increase the inside diameter?

Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech