Port Plates - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 09:36   #1 (permalink)

Port Plates

Are they worth it on a street car?
I know this has been covered many times. I've heard people use just exhaust, just intake and both. Is there any benefit if just using the exhaust? I'm have CC 4V heads. (didn't want to pull the intake) OR, should I just leave it alone? Hope this dosen't open a can of worms!
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 18:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Port Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera
Are they worth it on a street car?
I know this has been covered many times. I've heard people use just exhaust, just intake and both. Is there any benefit if just using the exhaust? I'm have CC 4V heads. (didn't want to pull the intake) OR, should I just leave it alone? Hope this dosen't open a can of worms!
I dont have any experiance with them, but have heard they are
more trouble than woth in regards to sealing.
Also, have been told they can hinder exhaust flow on std falcon type
cars, as they don't compliment the design of headers used. Maybe
it is different with a Pantera??
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 19:20   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

4V's have reasonably good exhaust flow. The issue with them is they are just too big for a 351. If you had something with more cubes ie 383 or larger. It wouldn't be an issue.

The intake side suffers in low/mid ranges due to being so large. The if you increase airspeed on the intake side you'll get a nice kick in the pants.

Falcon coupe has just put tongues in his 4V's. Powerwise it's the same but the torque improvement is quiet substancial. Enough to make breaking things easy. I've seen all the before and after chassis dyno data and I'm pretty keen to a) go for a hell ride in it and b) see it on the strip.
Old 08-07-2005, 22:30   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
4V's have reasonably good exhaust flow. The issue with them is they are just too big for a 351. If you had something with more cubes ie 383 or larger. It wouldn't be an issue.

The intake side suffers in low/mid ranges due to being so large. The if you increase airspeed on the intake side you'll get a nice kick in the pants.

This is exactly opposite to how it is. The exhaust flow badly compared to
the intake, and this is why they made 4v cams with bigger lift/duration
on the exhaust side. The exhaust is where you want to increase the flow.
The intake has CFM to burn. Mobs of it.
Old 08-08-2005, 17:18   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Look @ stock 4V heads. Inlet out flows the exhaust port by miles. The inlets built for 7000+rpm. Yet the exhaust is built to suit normal spirited use. With tongues you gain more performance without needed massive amounts of head work and loads of rpm. Makes them streetable for the ones too scared to rev it Also gives more torque throughout the rpm range.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:19   #6 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

I think you guys are both saying the same thing, but inverse.

Why stuff around with plates when there is a large range of alloys to choose from? I thought plates were mainly used by Pro Stockers revving to 10,000 RPM.

Tongues are good value for money from what I've heard and help to speed up port velocity (and therefore throttle response and torque) in 4Vs.

I expect PANTERA lives in the USA, so he doesn't have access to 302CC heads which I think are the best value for money.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 19:07   #7 (permalink)

Use the exhaust plates cos its easier to insert.
Use the intake plates when u change ur maniifold or carby.

I have a set of Active intake plates and they are not a fully sealed plate and not a perfect fit but anything to helf airflow will benefit the 4V clevo.

Show the alloys up ur a** cos I'm sick of people just buying things off the shelf to go fast. I good mechanic can use what he's got to make it go fast.
Old 08-11-2005, 19:12   #8 (permalink)

Oh, Alloy heads are better flow and lighter and have better re-sale value. But u might as well put a CAPA on it. If u are a genuine Ford enthusiast just keep it original and do ur best with what u got. I am more impressed with a crappy iron head 4V clevo doing 12.2 than an all new Alloy head doing 11.2. It's always come down to how much money u wanna spend to beat ur mate.
Plates r cheap. Intakes round $180 and Exhaust $120. See Active for the intake plates. I will take photos and post.
Old 08-11-2005, 19:15   #9 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevo400
Oh, Alloy heads are better flow and lighter and have better re-sale value. But u might as well put a CAPA on it. If u are a genuine Ford enthusiast just keep it original and do ur best with what u got. I am more impressed with a crappy iron head 4V clevo doing 12.2 than an all new Alloy head doing 11.2. It's always come down to how much money u wanna spend to beat ur mate.
Plates r cheap. Intakes round $180 and Exhaust $120. See Active for the intake plates. I will take photos and post.
Well said!
Do you have a link for active?
Old 08-11-2005, 20:23   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, but what about these changes from standard.

carby
intake manifold
extractors
fuel pumps
cam
valves
springs
wheels

If you dont want to change anything and leave it standard, why change any of the above. Then mention a head change, and it is all different. Any cleveland going fast impresses me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech