Porting 4V Cleveland heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38   #1 (permalink)

Porting 4V Cleveland heads

Hi guys, in the process of rebuilding my Cleveland after an unfortunate incident with rounding a couple of cams lobes. Not to worry, everything is coming along nicely. Last thing to tackle now is the heads.

My question to you gurus out there is in relation to 4V Closed Chamber heads. I have a pair that were on the engine than need recoing. I've purchased a new set of Stainless Ferra 5000 valves, Crane springs and retainers. All good so far, just need to send them off to get new K line guides, etc. However, before I get them done I was wondering if anyone knew of mods I can perform to the heads that will make these flow any better, either in the intake or exhaust? I note that in the exhaust port there is a very defined raised (lump). So questions are:

Would it be worth while removing the lump and blending the port?

What about the short turn radius in the intake and exhaust?

Would it be worth smoothing the sharp edges in the short turn area?

What about modifying the bowls?

I am pretty handy with a die grinder and have experience porting heads, not 4V Cleveland heads, more into Windsors. I'm not going to assume anything, just in case I turn a good set of heads into shit.

Engine will be Stock stroke 351, out 0.30thou, cam limited to around 545" lift on the exhaust side. Heads quench 4Vs, flat top Speed pro forged pistons, Manifold is a Strip Dominator, Carb is 800DP, MSD 6AL and MSD Dissy. 2" Primary pipes, 3.89 gears, top loader, 26" tyre.

Should I leave the heads as they are with a port match to gaskets, and mild cleanup of dags, or should I spend a little time cleaning these up? Are there considerable gains to be had with 4V heads, or should I leave them alone as they'll make good power stock?

Pretty hard finding good information on porting 4V heads, most posts refer to Windsor 4V heads.

Cheers guys, all replies are much appreciated. Oh lastly, please no posts about Alloy heads. I know they're better, I'm not interested. I need info on iron heads. Thanks

Troy
XY GT Replica (Track Red), 351 4V, Forged Pistons, Rollers, Crower Solid Cam, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Distributor, Pacemaker 2" primary pipes, Twin Two and a Half inch exhaust, 31 Spline Top Loader, Daikin clutch, 31 Spline 3.5 Nodular 9", HO Brakes, Simmons B45s. No stereo, nothing but the sound of SWEET Cleveland music...ahhhh, the only woofer is the one that's in my yard. $$$
XYHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 20:58   #2 (permalink)
Flying @ a mile high

Re: Porting 4V Cleveland heads

Greatings, I have basically the same set up. port math the intake side, they are already big enough, the exhaust, raise the top and if you can raise the port there are inserts that plain off the bottom of the port, they are ideal. the clev heads tend to drop the exhaust charge which is not condusive to flow. the higher the bottom deck the better. The name of the plates escapes me, but they boasted 20 hp gains. kinda like a high port for lack of a better term. hope this helped. 4015 lbs 72 sport fastback @ 6200 feet 14.94 on hyd cam edelbrock 750 cam.411 gears. 6 rounds bandimere raceway fun ford weekend 2006.18 year old motor.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:53   #3 (permalink)

please dont fit those port plates to the exhaust side of your heads, i fitted them a few years back and they done sweet fa, and i lost some mph.. if it's a street car use the intake tongues and devcon up the bottom of the intake ports on the manifold, clean up the bowls and get rid of any sharp edges, blend the valve guide bosses into a nice smooth cone shape, and leave it at that...

if you like pm me and i will send you some pics of some 4v heads that i have done, they are not a way out set just a nice basic job..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 19:44   #4 (permalink)

The Port inserts are made by Terry Parker in Aus(parker racing products) ....Without a flow bench I'd do the minimal...port matching,bowl work,blending...get rid of the "bump"......Parker's e-mail addy is parkerracing@itfusion.com....he also has gaskets that work with the port insert's!
Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 351c pt comparison.JPG (86.0 KB, 23 views)
fomocoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 16:07   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYHO
Oh lastly, please no posts about Alloy heads. I know they're better, I'm not interested. I need info on iron heads. Thanks

Troy
hehe well said
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 15:07   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomocoB
The Port inserts are made by Terry Parker in Aus(parker racing products) ....Without a flow bench I'd do the minimal...port matching,bowl work,blending...get rid of the "bump"......Parker's e-mail addy is parkerracing@itfusion.com....he also has gaskets that work with the port insert's!
Bruce
When you say 'get rid of the bump' are you referring to the bump deep within the exhaust port, just before the bowl? I had heard to leave it alone, as I may hit water. I'd like clarification ASAP as I am part way through doing the heads now and like to complete these soon. That bump would have to affect flow, surely!

Apart from that, all the intake bowls have now been enlarged and blended and I am part way through cleaning up the guide bosses. It's a big job, but it's all coming along nicely - Helps when you use the right tools for the job too.

I've just got hold of those Stainless Ferra valves for the heads last week along with PSI springs, Crower retainers and locks (I went with the PSI and Crower as they were recommended as a great combo for the cam I'm running) They're coming up sweet... Any Aussie interested in parts at great prices PM me, I found a guy who's excellent on price and is excellent with his customer service - a rare find.

Cheers

Troy
XY GT Replica (Track Red), 351 4V, Forged Pistons, Rollers, Crower Solid Cam, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Distributor, Pacemaker 2" primary pipes, Twin Two and a Half inch exhaust, 31 Spline Top Loader, Daikin clutch, 31 Spline 3.5 Nodular 9", HO Brakes, Simmons B45s. No stereo, nothing but the sound of SWEET Cleveland music...ahhhh, the only woofer is the one that's in my yard. $$$
XYHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech