Is it possible? low 10's in an LTD??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2005, 03:20   #1 (permalink)

Is it possible? low 10's in an LTD???

I know its not really a clevo topic but the clevo area is well viewed so I'll post it here.

Assuming I have the power and drivetrain to run 10's what should I be doing to the susp and such? In an 83 FD LTD, watts link rear. I know that some LPG XD/E/F turbo 6's are running consistent low to mid 10's, so I figure an LPG turbo 351 can do the same, but my LTD is heavier so this may not be possible without mini tubs, I don't know?

Any help much appreciated.
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 06:15   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Is it possible? low 10's in an LTD???

It's more than possible with enought boost. Run 15psi+ and it's done. You'll need somewhere around 350-400rwkw I think (guestimation).
Old 05-28-2005, 07:46   #3 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd351
Any help much appreciated.
The best way to run low 10s (9s even) in a heavy LTD is to simply push it off of a really tall cliff!

...not sure how much help this is to you! <grin>

On a more serious note, I ran low 10.0x in a 2850# (me in it) '66 Mustang with a 520" pump gas stroker tube chassis car with 18" wide "street" slicks.

...it made 667 HP and over 600 foot pounds of torque throughout its entire useful RPM range. It had a 4800 RPM stall converter, transbrake C6, 9" rear with 3.89:1 gears on a spool and plenty of traction. You need to ask yourself how close your LTD is to a car like it.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 16:46   #4 (permalink)
Club Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis
The best way to run low 10s (9s even) in a heavy LTD is to simply push it off of a really tall cliff!

...not sure how much help this is to you! <grin>

On a more serious note, I ran low 10.0x in a 2850# (me in it) '66 Mustang with a 520" pump gas stroker tube chassis car with 18" wide "street" slicks.

...it made 667 HP and over 600 foot pounds of torque throughout its entire useful RPM range. It had a 4800 RPM stall converter, transbrake C6, 9" rear with 3.89:1 gears on a spool and plenty of traction. You need to ask yourself how close your LTD is to a car like it.

:davis:
Well said Davis. 10's is the new figure we pull out of the air these days, along with a mild 600 horsepower clevo... dead easy. Anyone who has actually been down the race track knows what crap that is. So much so, the difference between 10.9 and 10.1 is massive, and if nothing else bloody expensive. A 600 horsepower clevo requires a whole bunch of friends on the way to a 10 second pass. Big $$ gearbox to hang on, 31 spline full spool rear end, kaltrac (at least).... the list goes on. Get ready to put your hand in your pocket and keep it there.

I guess if it's any consolation, the turbo tosser rice boys are twice as bad.
COUPEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 18:20   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPEMAN
Well said Davis. 10's is the new figure we pull out of the air these days, along with a mild 600 horsepower clevo... dead easy. Anyone who has actually been down the race track knows what crap that is. So much so, the difference between 10.9 and 10.1 is massive, and if nothing else bloody expensive. A 600 horsepower clevo requires a whole bunch of friends on the way to a 10 second pass. Big $$ gearbox to hang on, 31 spline full spool rear end, kaltrac (at least).... the list goes on. Get ready to put your hand in your pocket and keep it there.

I guess if it's any consolation, the turbo tosser rice boys are twice as bad.
OK, 10.47 is the figure I was working from as XE/6cyl turbo/LPG/3.25 gears has done that without extensive chassis mods. I didn't just pick it from the air. My drivetrain is more than capable of a 10sec pass, I just wanted some specific info about the watts link rear end or any other chassis based tweaks to help get traction, apart from putting mini tubs or anthing drastic like that, although that may well be rerquired in the end.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 18:25   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

With technology advancements etc 10sec pass's are becoming the norm. There's plenty of 4.1 turbo's running in the 10sec bracket using "GAS" not n2o. It's definately possible. A bloke I met Jon builds the engines for $15,000 from memory. All you have to do is do the auto and diff. He tells you the rest
Old 05-28-2005, 19:47   #7 (permalink)

Yes turbo and LPG is supposed to produce very good TQ and with the turbo you can leave the line with reduced psi to help it hook up.
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech