Priming oil pump and carb.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2005, 16:30   #1 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Priming oil pump and carb....

Howdy folks, well things are getting done and the engine will be back in either today or tomorrow. I have a couple of simple questions - Do I need to prime the oil pump with a drill, or can it be done by hand? I've made up a tool using an old distributor shaft but it's too big to fit into my drill, so I'm turning it by hand. I'm not sure if this will get the job done well enough or not. If needs be I will grind it down so it fits in the drill.

Second, when I'm ready to fire it up, how do I prime the carb? I have a mechanical fuel pump, so all I can think of is to pull off the air horn and pour in a few tablespoons of fuel into the bowls (Edelbrock carb). I'm worried if I do that it might stall after a few seconds of running while the fuel lines fill up.

Thanks guys!

Haha by the way, it's pretty important to get this done this weekend, as my EA just shat itself (buggered head gasket) and I really don't want to walk to work on Tuesday. Thank god it's a long weekend!!
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 17:07   #2 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Re: Priming oil pump and carb....

F*CK! I'm so god damn pissed off. I broke that stupidly long f*cking alterntor mounting bolt yesterday and I've been to every god damn wrecker, bolt shop and engineer supplies store and not a single one of the dumb sh*ts can supply me with a bolt the right length and thread. I have no idea what to do, but I don't think I can get one this weekend so looks like I won't have a car on tuesday. One stupid f*cking bolt, god dammit. Anyone got any bright ideas?
Old 06-03-2005, 17:50   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
F*CK! I'm so god damn pissed off. I broke that stupidly long f*cking alterntor mounting bolt yesterday and I've been to every god damn wrecker, bolt shop and engineer supplies store and not a single one of the dumb sh*ts can supply me with a bolt the right length and thread. I have no idea what to do, but I don't think I can get one this weekend so looks like I won't have a car on tuesday. One stupid f*cking bolt, god dammit. Anyone got any bright ideas?
Just get a longer one and cut it down to size.

Is it stuck in the block? Just get a drill and bolt remover kit. Make sure the metal bits don't fall down the dissy hole.
Old 06-03-2005, 17:50   #4 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
yeah, kinda :( try using a really thick cable tie, this is just on the slider mount?
make sure the top through bolt is tight as, it will hold most of the load. does on mine anyways.
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 18:00   #5 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Can't find a longer bolt either. No one has anything nearly long enough in the same thread. It's not the slider bolt, it's this little bastard....

Old 06-03-2005, 18:23   #6 (permalink)

:Doh I'll read your post properly next time!! Early morning goggles.

I'd say best bet try a wreckers before they shut at 12!! Go Go Go !!

Is that the rest of it sitting in the head? Bolt extraction kit will fix that easy.
Old 06-03-2005, 18:30   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

why is the alternator on the passenger side?? It's supposed to be in the driverside. Look below. Whatever works I guess?

Old 06-03-2005, 18:34   #8 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Nah I got it out of the head no worries. The bolt actually snapped off about half way through that iron tube it goes through, and upon closer inspection it snapped where some other dork welded and ground it. Looks like someone else had the same trouble with finding it as I did. It's already 1:30 over here so no luck with wreckers, but I already rang the only V8 wrecker in my city and he didn't have one. This just sucks ass, I'm one bolt away from firing up my brand new motor :( Oh well, spose it'll have to wait. At least now I'm not in a hurry to get it back into the car. Think I'll leave that till tomorrow now, I'm too pissed off to bother with it now. Brenx - I have notice that mine is the only Clevo around with a dizzy on the passengers side. I've noticed a few little weird things like that with my car, I think it has had some didgy work done on it. It start life as a column shift manual 6, and now it's a floor shift auto eight. Most of the work is pretty dodgy (all column shift gear is still here, hole in the floor is a laugh, clutch master cylinder and all line still remain) so I'm not sure. The alt runs on the rear pulley (water pump pulley) and there's no belt on the front pulley a I don't have power steering or a/c.

Other than this drama everything has gone really well. I ground my old dizzy shaft down and put it into a drill, the oil pump is primed and seems to be working well. I'm pretty confident that it will fire first time, but I'm still not sure how to prime the carb - any ideas anyone? I'm not keen on cranking the motor over for half a minute to fill the fuel lines, as I don't want to wipe the break-in lube off my new bearings.

Would you believe that when my shitty EA broke down this morning I was directly outside my work? How much does that suck? I ended up going in to use the phone and my boss grabbed me and got me to finish the work on one of the trucks - on my day off! Hasn't been much of a day, I tell ya. EA shat itself, had to work on a weekend and now this bolt drama. Think I'll get good and drunk tonight and forget my worries.
Old 06-03-2005, 18:47   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Have you got a syringe or a little squirter bottle? Fill the fuel bowl up via the float level plugs on the side. If the carb has them?
Old 06-03-2005, 18:52   #10 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Nah Edelbrock carbs don't have plugs on the side but it's only a five minute job to pull the airhorn off so I can tip a bit of petrol in there. Gaskets aren't a problem, there are no gaskets below the fuel level. God bless Edelbrock carbs :) So much easier to work with than Holley's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech