Putting a Manual behind a 351 in a ZH - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 11:57   #1 (permalink)

Putting a Manual behind a 351 in a ZH

I am curious if anyone knows anything about throwing a Manual in behind my 351.. I've just got a Standard C4, but wouldn't mind a Manual Gearbox, Anyone got any prices... and how to move that pedal handbrake???
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Re: Putting a Manual behind a 351 in a ZH

As ZH Fairlane V8 said, a Manual V8 was available in the early ZC Fairlane. It should be pretty sraight forward to conert your ZH to a manual. Just use all the bits off a manual one. As for the Park Brake, you will have to look at the differences between then to compare.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 22:28   #3 (permalink)

It would be an awesome car with Manual
Old 02-21-2004, 00:35   #4 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

ok u have a 351 powered zh which means you have a standard fmx auto unless it has been changed in which case its more likley its a c10 anyway, next becuse you already have a tbar the manual will bolt straight up the shifter will come through the correct spot (provinding u get a box with the falcon position shifter).

On your firewall you will have the 2 bolts and hole next to your brake booster for the clutch master cylinder and the pedals are simply going to be replaced with falcon items either xa,b,c. gearbox selection will be easiest and probably best if on a budget to use a toploader will bolt up easy all hydralics are available new flywheels easy to source etc.

any other info just ask, b4 anyone recomends a single rail reconsider it the zh is heavy my marquis was 1980kg dry.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:51   #5 (permalink)

The ZH will be straight forward, unlike the XE upwards where you have to remove the Dash including the Steering column etc and change the Mounting plate for the Brake Pedal to one from the XD series so as to take the Clutch pedal.

You then have to modify the position of the Master cylinder piston shaft so as to alter the stroke to suit the right movement for the slave cylinder of the Top Loader.

It is a big job from start to finish in the XE up wards.

Personally I would not do it again as you can have more fun and less expence with Auto's and Stally's.
ESP_429SCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:23   #6 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

i assume you r refering to the xe when u say the shaft has to be relocated for the master as they ran the cable, but in the zh the whole lot can be done in half a day pedals and all.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:52   #7 (permalink)

Are you sure you have to change the whole clutch/brake pedal box? Not that it's totallly the same but I just did a manual conversion on my XD. All I had to do was get a clutch and brake pedal from a wreckers - they fitted straight onto the same pedal box I was using for my auto. Not sure how the ZH is, but it's worth a look if it saves having to take it out.

Other small items you'll need in addition to the box and flywheel:
- Clutch master and slave cylinder (I'm assuming your going hydraulic)
- Hydraulic clutch line
- Clutch fork / Dust boot
- Bell housing
- Clutch pressure plate
- Clutch disc
- New throwout bearing (on clutch fork)
- New spigot bearing (on back of crank shaft where gearbox input shaft plugs in)
- Starter motor spacer (fits between starter & bellhousing, autos don't need them)
- Can't remember the name!.....the steel plate that goes between flywheel and block, need one for manual (auto ones don't fit behind a manual flywheel).

......and thats about it!

Some wreckers may charge a bit too much......try looking in the paper for people wrecking their own Falcons.

I'd go the Toploader too! Tried and proven bullet proof gearbox!

Have a look on the firewall from INSIDE the engine bay (where the clutch pedal would be inside, near the brake booster).....there's probably a small plate attached to the firewall with 2 bolts?? Thats where the clutch master cyclinder will fit??

Cheers.
Old 02-21-2004, 23:09   #8 (permalink)
Proudly Average

I considered putting a toploader in my Marquis to replace the column-shift C10. Then my mechanic pointed out that with the big armchair Marquis seats, i'd just about have to stand up inside the car to change gears :-(
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:27   #9 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

not true my marquis started of as a 302 hence the arm chairs instead of the normal seats in the 351 and i put the top loader in only thing is you may need to run a slightly longer shifter to make it easier to grab, dont get hung up on having a small/short shifter its all bullshit and works the same long or short.

The only bastard is marquis is heavy mine was 1980kg dry and with the manual you will pop uni's alot and if you still have the borgwarner u will pop that alot too.

As for the pedal box question you dont have to replace the box u can replace pin and pedals only but its easy to replace the box on these so the whole assembly is easier
Old 02-22-2004, 14:38   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreToaster
not true my marquis started of as a 302 hence the arm chairs instead of the normal seats in the 351
I think the reason why your Marquis had the armchair seats is because of the build date.
Pre March? '78 builds had the armchairs, post '78s didnt get them

I have never seen a 302 Marquis so not 100% sure if it the engine option made a difference in what seats you got

Also MakoZH's Fairlane started life as a 302 so it would have a c4 at the moment

sorry to go off topic....
ZH_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech