Question on carb and manifold combo? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 13:19   #1 (permalink)

Question on carb and manifold combo?

Hi.I'm new to this forum,but,after reading hundreds of posts,it sounds like you guys are quite knowledgable.I'm from N.H,U.S.A.and noticed that a lot of you are from Australia where the Cleveland still reins.My question is what,with the specs I give you, would be the best combination carb and manifold I should run for a strictly street rod?
I own a 1972 Mercury Cougar with a transplanted 1970 351C with 4V closed chambered heads,flattop pistons bored .030 over,apprx.10.7:1 -11:1 compression ratio,a mild street cam(204In./214Ex @ .50 dur.484 int./510 exh.lift) with a stock dual exhaust and FMX tranny.I'm presently running an Edelbrock performer 600cfm carb on a stock 4V cast iron manifold.
I'm thinking of purchasing an Edelbrock manual choke 750cfm carburetor and a weiand 4V x-celerator manifold.Do you think this combo would be too much for what I'm running?
I appreciate any info you could give me.Thanks!
Joki13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 14:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Question on carb and manifold combo?

Welcome to the site. I wouldn't change manifolds,the standard manifold can b used even for a much larger cam. Carb wise a 650dp would be max to go to. This would then give u some room for more motor improvements without killing your fuel economy now.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
4V-XWGT

I agree, the motor would benefit larger cam, weiand, even 750cfm be good for more top end.

351 XC V8,
Brendan,
New Zealand
351 XC V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
82XE 351c

i'd go with a 650DP, as for intake you could wait for the new edelbrock air-gap,
maybe a weiland with a 1" 4 hole spacer, or have a look at http://www.torque-power.com.au/
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:54   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the help.It sounds as if I'll stick with what I've got until the time I decide to change cams.That will have to be after the paint job.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:19   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joki13
Thanks guys for the help.It sounds as if I'll stick with what I've got until the time I decide to change cams.That will have to be after the paint job.
For what it's worth with the small cam you have, good idea to wait until you do the cam change. Your stock manifold would be fine with that combo.

Welcome to the forum. You must be starting to defrost up there in NH by now!

Yep, predominantly aussie guys on this forum. Here's another Cleveland forum but in the US, which would be handy when looking for engine builders / parts suppliers etc in your part of the world.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419
Old 04-09-2005, 07:42   #7 (permalink)

You guys down under don't see much snow I bet.I could have shipped some of it to you.We got a S&!Tload of it.It's almost all gone now with temperatures in the 60s this week.Anyways it's about time to take the bomb,as my wife refers to it,out of the garage and start having some fun.Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech