Removing Valve Springs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 17:12   #1 (permalink)

Removing Valve Springs

Has anyone removed/replaced valve springs on a clevo in the car without removing heads? I need to check spring tensions etc.
If I do one at a time @ TDC so they dont fall in, or is compressed air a must?
I convinced I have valve bounce beyond 6200. Want to shim springs a little more to 1.760 closed. What tool can you use to compress springs?
Thanks
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 17:48   #2 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Re: Removing Valve Springs

go to repco or bulls eye bobs and buy a long tooth spring compressor, make sure the U shaped is large because this normally slides under head, it will hav to go else where for grip...
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 18:21   #3 (permalink)

Ebay for $30 but u need a compressor to fill the spark plug hole full of air to keep the valve from dropping down !!!
Old 12-01-2004, 18:32   #4 (permalink)

Yes,it can be done with the right tools.Firstly ,there are the overhead type mini spring compressors which are universally available which sit on top of the retainer and the two arms locate aroaund the spring.I have used this many times to change worn seals.The only problem with this tool is that it only grabs the outer spring so if you have doubles then it is a little more difficult to extract but not out of the question.
A compressor is used in conjunction with this tool to hold the valves in place or at least to stop them from falling into the bore.Alternatively you can feed a piece of rope into the bore via the spark plug and bring the piston up to tdc.This holds the valves quite nicely.
And one piece of advice before shimming up to increase pressures.From memory installed height on most clevo valve springs is around 1.8 or 1.85 if my memory serves me correctly.If you are going to shim up that much you may run into coil bind or create another problem.If your springs are jiggered then toss them and install new ones.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I've done it. My spring compressor cost $99 about 9 years ago. I am pretty sure I've seen them for about $50 or less for the same thing.

It hooks onto the side of the spring and you wind it down with a 5/8th spanner or socket. Due to it not applying a large amount of downforce I used coat hanger in the spark plug hole to prevent the valve dropping.

Brenden
Old 12-01-2004, 21:49   #6 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

As said above, overhead spring remover available just about anywhere.

Compressed air in not necessary. In fact, I have found it easier to wind that piston over to top dead centre, with that cylinder rocking, that way its easier to fit rockers, etc back on at the same time.

With the piston at TDC, the valve doesn't drop far. its 1cm or not much more.

Good Luck
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 22:05   #7 (permalink)

I did all mine a few months ago, and it is still easy with double springs. I dont use compressed air either. If your'e seals are sort of new, they will hold the valves good, but of corse tdc is a must. As russxr6 said, spring bind may happen. Off memory you have a F238??? and if you take of full lift, you are down near 1.1? open height. This could be valve bind!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 22:12   #8 (permalink)

Thanks,
There little chance of coil bind as the springs are good for 1.1inch open. Spoke to crow cams he reckons all cam manufacturors are very conversative with closed pressures as to prevent probs on break in. Mine rated at 290# @1.860 he reckons now the cam has run in you can go to 330#! The cam surface becomes hardened after a while!!
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 18:12   #9 (permalink)

What Crow springs r u using ??? My Crow 7333 springs Seats at 1.82" about 120 lb and at 1.32" about 300 lb but Crower recommended lower pressure than that for the same cam. About 105 lb and 280lb.
Old 12-02-2004, 18:52   #10 (permalink)
Injection is nice But

Manley make a great tool for removing the spring,Its about 30 cm long has a v in one end a hole about 10 cm back fro the stud to go through. You can spring with seat preasure in the heigh 200- to low 300 seat pressue. I have seen home made ones.

You can also buy a tool that measures spring tension on the heads , these are great .

Compressed air is a hassel, the rope idea works a treat.
BAGTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech