Rev Range For Sroker Motors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 15:38   #1 (permalink)

Rev Range For Sroker Motors

I have heard srtoker motors dont like big revs. I want to rev mine to 7500. Is that alright. They reckon only rev it to 6800 or you will have problems. I am seriously thinking of just building a normal clevo without stroking it. What do you other guys with stroker motors rev them to. And any ideas on cams you use. I will be using 4v AFD heads. When you use a roller cam do you have to get the lifter bored bronze lined. I heard you dont have to. If i build a 393 stroker can someone give me a good cam recommendation to go with it. Roller.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 16:36   #2 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Re: Rev Range For Sroker Motors

Gday mate. If built with the right stuff and person you should be able to accomplish this. My clevo is stroked to 366 which is only small i know but its right to rev to 7200, not that i take it that far. I don't have any knowledge of roller cams a bit out of my price range but not shure it you can get more revs out of them more easily or not. I've got a solid ultra street racer made by come racing in my combo. @ .050" In252 Ex259 with 624"lift. This is probably no help i know. But goodluck with your build. With a stroker that size and those heads with a roller you should be looking at some big hp figures.
Old 02-15-2005, 17:45   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
I have heard srtoker motors dont like big revs. I want to rev mine to 7500. Is that alright. They reckon only rev it to 6800 or you will have problems. I am seriously thinking of just building a normal clevo without stroking it. What do you other guys with stroker motors rev them to. And any ideas on cams you use. I will be using 4v AFD heads. When you use a roller cam do you have to get the lifter bored bronze lined. I heard you dont have to. If i build a 393 stroker can someone give me a good cam recommendation to go with it. Roller.
With the crank and rods you were referring to the other day, 7500 will be fine. I recon its a myth about not revving stroker motors hard. Still, only rev it where it makes max power. I would definatly go stroker if i were using those heads. Also, get a custom ground roller to suit the flow of the new alloy heads. Most off the shelf cams suit the older steel head flow.
Old 02-15-2005, 18:14   #4 (permalink)

The issue about not revving strokers comes from concern over the rod/stroke ratio being low (compared to a 351) and the resulting higher piston speeds and side loading causing premature wear and failure.

Personally I believe it is a case of too much time spent on theory and there is not any proof of it in the real world. I've never heard of a stroker clevo going bang.

More capacity from the increase in stroke means you get the same HP at lower revs with the same cam. So I doubt you would even find a big enough cam to warrant making a 393 rev to 7500. Eg A roller cams that makes max HP in a 351 at 7500 will most likely make its max HP in a 393 at 6500.

I rev mine to 6500 because that is where I make max HP.
Old 02-15-2005, 18:24   #5 (permalink)
xbgt coupe 378 efi

from what i know xdclevo is right about the cam the alloy heads dont need split duration as the flow on exh is alot better balanced than iron head flows & the cam should be worked out for the whole combo you will run & peak where you want it to peak as a stroker combo will not peak as high as smaller cube engine,

with all the good crank, rod & pistons available i believe they wont be a problem to suit your revs but maybe the block will for instance 347 stroker combo on windsor should have stud girdle & mexican block as a minimum as they have been splitting blocks,
most stroker combo's have lower than std rod ratios & the piston is trying to push out the side of the bore on a low revver its not as big a problem as on a 7000+ motor

hope this helps but probably confused you more lol
xbhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 18:26   #6 (permalink)
xbgt coupe 378 efi

what are your cam specs strokedxd?
xbhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 18:58   #7 (permalink)

248/258 @ 50", .596/.606 lift on a 108LSA
Old 02-15-2005, 19:12   #8 (permalink)

Grandma's Commodore will rev to 7,500. I presume by wanting to rev it to 7,500, you mean you want to cam it for 7,500 - big difference

Thats a big ask and lots of changes are required to the car - not just to the engine.

I hope you are not intending to drive this thing on the street!
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 19:31   #9 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

They do like big revs belive me have had mine in over rev to 8500 and no truble at all. Like most have said if there built right no worrys. I have a safty margin of 9500.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 19:51   #10 (permalink)

What do you mean not going to drive it on the street. Cause i am. I always drive my cars on the street. What is the use of sitting it in the shed. What about xd408 i am sure he revs it to 7500 and drives it to the drags and street all the time. My new engine will be as follows.

393 cubes
forged steel crank
forged srp pistons
scat crank
afd 4v alloy heads flow 680 hp
11.1 comp
fully balanced
top loader gearbox as i going back to a manual
hoping for 600 hp
not sure on cam yet as a roller or solid
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech