rocker arm trouble! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 21:29   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down rocker arm trouble!

hey fellas i've got trouble!
Im running closed chamber heads and I've got a lug broken off where the no1 intake rocker locates in the cyl head. because of this the rocker moves sideways and it bends the pushrod won't open the valve fully, any ideas how to fix this prob on the car without having to pull the head off. when I straighten the rocker after replacing the pushrod and retension it it's ok 4 a while but eventally it moves again and bends the pushrod and I drop off hp again! any Ideas. has it happened to any1 else
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2005, 03:49   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: rocker arm trouble!

Break a lug off? Where has the lug broken from? Do you have pics as I can't picture where this has broken off? If it's broken off the rocker itself? Replace the rocker.

If your local? I am sure a mate or I could help out with a replacement rocker. We've got quite a few lying around doing nothing wasting space.

Brenden
Old 02-26-2005, 09:16   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Break a lug off? Where has the lug broken from? Do you have pics as I can't picture where this has broken off? If it's broken off the rocker itself? Replace the rocker.

If your local? I am sure a mate or I could help out with a replacement rocker. We've got quite a few lying around doing nothing wasting space.

Brenden
Sounds like he has broken off the metal around the thread on the head. The best way would be to weld and repair. Good luck!!
Old 02-26-2005, 14:49   #4 (permalink)

yer the lug in talkin of is the 2 raised sections that form a slot for the rocker arm base to bolt into. its got a top and bottom lug I guess u'd call'em lugs? or just callem machined cast that the rocker arm bolts to
Old 02-26-2005, 14:55   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

To fix that you'd need to remove the head and take it to a machine shop. Don't know how you do that damage? I've never seen someone do that.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:59   #6 (permalink)
Pommey Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
yer the lug in talkin of is the 2 raised sections that form a slot for the rocker arm base to bolt into. its got a top and bottom lug I guess u'd call'em lugs? or just callem machined cast that the rocker arm bolts to
Ahhhh this is interesting... I have a pair of 2v heads off a 351 that came from a 69 Muzzy that was used for drag racing, both heads have the same damage that you describe. On both heads the corresponding valve guides are broken top & bottom which would suggest (to me anyway) the damage was caused by valve piston contact & maybe the rocker was pushed back & bust the back of the cast locating slot off.
mach1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 00:29   #7 (permalink)

Ziggy, its called a rocker arm pedestal.....incase you're ringing around getting quotes to fix it.

You could always machine all 16 off and use screw in studs with guide plates
Old 02-28-2005, 22:17   #8 (permalink)

thanks tru blue, for the life of me I couldn't find that word in my vocabulary, hehe, more beer!
unfortunately it looks as though the head has to come off, I think i'll nurse it till I get the alloys.
Old 03-01-2005, 00:27   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
thanks tru blue, for the life of me I couldn't find that word in my vocabulary, hehe, more beer!
unfortunately it looks as though the head has to come off, I think i'll nurse it till I get the alloys.
No probs. I have plenty of thingymajiggywhatchamacallits on my car too! You know what I'm taking about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech