Rod Angle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 22:38   #1 (permalink)

Rod Angle

The rod angle discussion was a bit off thread in the stroker thread.

I have created an Excel file that calculates rod angles as well as some other things.

I'm a bit rusty at this but let me know if you find it of any help, or you find any errors in it.

http://www.fordforums.com/attachment...id=20539&stc=1

edit for spelling
Attached Files
File Type: xls ROD ANGLE.xls (28.5 KB, 37 views)
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 02:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rod Angle

Thanks for that, a good file.
Old 05-07-2004, 21:28   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis
I don't want to go around with you on this issue, but so far, there is no theory. What is the theory? What are you trying to say? That there isn't much significance between a long/short rod?

Is your theory:

"Stroker kits may have longer rods, but they also have greater strokes. Overall they are more likely to have greater rod angles and greater horizontal loads."

I don't see the "theory" part of whatever it is that you're trying to say. Using a rod of 1000m is still a ridiculous example that does nothing to illustrate any meaningful point nor is your point ever disclosed.

It isn't my intention to run you down or criticize your postings, but why not try to tell us what point you're trying to make with the hyperlong/short rods? The correction of your short rod length doesn't account for the actual piston material thickness required to maintain an adequate pin bore, nor does it account for any skirt length. Just because a center-to-center length is at the mathematical minimum, doesn't make it a practical implementation. This is true for the 1m rod, the 1.41m rod and the 1000m rod.

Let's can the BS and agree that the whole "rod angularity" issue isn't worthy getting twisted panties over. We're all here to have a good time and talk shop. Let's all try to focus on meaningful examples that make some kind of useful point, OK?

:davis:
I'm not theorising, just calculating the angles. I will let others decide for themselves what they think about rod angularity. My intentions have only been to explain how rod and stroke lengths effect the angle, not to buy into the argument of what is best.

I never intentioned the 1000m long rods or the 1.41m rods to be practical. I was just using extreme geometrical examples to demonstrate how rod length can influence the rod angle and the bore forces.

I'm happy to 'can' this issue as I think we both agree that other factors such as rod weight, piston weight, C/H, skirt length etc, play far more significant roles.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 23:24   #4 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I'm not theorising, just calculating the angles.
Did you forget your words?

To explain this theory I will use two engine examples; a really "short rod" and really really "long rod".

I'm not sure that I'm ready for another explanation right away, but as long as you're willing to take care of everyone "without a physics or engineering background" we're ready to keep pointing you in the right direction when you decide to go on a mental walkabout off the beaten path.

Cheers mate. We know you mean well.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech