Roller Rocker adjustment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 00:03   #1 (permalink)

Roller Rocker adjustment

I have a set of Street Terra adjustable roller rockers on my new motor. it is just run in and needs the roller rockers adjusting. I was thinking of having a go ad doing it myself so I had a look at the instructions on the Yella Terra website:

"Set hydraulic lifters about a half-turndown past zero lash, this point is determined by holding the pushrod between two fingers while you adjust the lash. When you can no longer turn the pushrod easily, you are at zero lash, now adjust the rocker a further to turn."

Sounds fairly straight forward. Has anyone done this recently? What tools do I need and is there a locking nut or anything on the adjusters? I havent looked yet! Which way do I turn the motor? How do I know when the engine is on TDC between the compression and the power strokes?? I will have to take the distributer cap off and check the timing marks and go over them in the firing order, wont I? I kow that the dissy goes anticlockwise and I think the motor does to, I spose I could start it up and take a look, its only rocker science after all.

I suppose you will be thinking if I have to ask this many questions I probably shouldnt be touching it, but I am wiling to have a go and I have given up waiting for the mechanic to call me back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 00:27   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Roller Rocker adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I have a set of Street Terra adjustable roller rockers on my new motor. it is just run in and needs the roller rockers adjusting. I was thinking of having a go ad doing it myself so I had a look at the instructions on the Yella Terra website:

"Set hydraulic lifters about a half-turndown past zero lash, this point is determined by holding the pushrod between two fingers while you adjust the lash. When you can no longer turn the pushrod easily, you are at zero lash, now adjust the rocker a further to turn."

Sounds fairly straight forward. Has anyone done this recently? What tools do I need and is there a locking nut or anything on the adjusters? I havent looked yet! Which way do I turn the motor? How do I know when the engine is on TDC between the compression and the power strokes?? I will have to take the distributer cap off and check the timing marks and go over them in the firing order, wont I? I kow that the dissy goes anticlockwise and I think the motor does to, I spose I could start it up and take a look, its only rocker science after all.

I suppose you will be thinking if I have to ask this many questions I probably shouldnt be touching it, but I am wiling to have a go and I have given up waiting for the mechanic to call me back.
I haven't done rollers on a Hydraulic cam before as I personally think it's wasted $ with a hyd camshaft but have done my fair share of roller adjustments on a solid cammed engine.

The actual adjuster on the roller is 5/8th same as your spark plug socket. There is an allen keyed grub screw which locks the adjustment in the centre of the adjuster. So with the 5/8th adjuster turn till the adjustments correct, then just lock it off with the grub screw in the centre.

It's about an hours work maximum to do.

Brenden
Old 04-12-2004, 00:45   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Brendan,

Yep I figured the adjustable rockers were a waste of $$$$. But I was held to ransom by the engine builder who KNEW what I needed. He just should have bought the right pushrods, seeing has he ordered a full set of cromoly ones from Crow.....There is plenty of valve noise at the moment and he told me not to drive it until he adjusts them, but I have given up waiting.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:15   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Amen to that. I know the feeling. Hell freezes over and you develop gray hair before anything happens.

Brenden
Old 04-12-2004, 04:40   #5 (permalink)

Roller rockers are a smart idea even with hydraulic cams so I'm sure your engine builder actually knew what he was doing when he 'put you to ransom'. I'd go with his advice on that, they are sure not a waste of $ if they save you ruining your motor from a buggered rocker.

Unless you know how to find TDC easily and can then work out what inlet/exhaust valve to do next when they are in the fully closed position I suggest you stay away from it. The whole job is quite easy but a good idea if someone shows you first.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:53   #6 (permalink)

TDC is when both valves are closed right? But how do you tell when its between the compression and power stroke? Is it one crankshaft revolution after the inlet valve closes? There is no disputing that roller rockers are a good idea, just that hydraulic cams do not require ADJUSTABLE roler rockers if the correct pushrod length is chosen.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:18   #7 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
TDC is when both valves are closed right? But how do you tell when its between the compression and power stroke? Is it one crankshaft revolution after the inlet valve closes? There is no disputing that roller rockers are a good idea, just that hydraulic cams do not require ADJUSTABLE roler rockers if the correct pushrod length is chosen.
That is not correct actually as you need to get a certain amount of preload measured in thousands of an inch on the hydraulic lifter at TDC and with non adjustable roller rockers this is achieved by packing under the pedastal with shims as each rocker will not be identical load/gap when you screw the valve train together.

This is overcome with the adjustable roller rockers to make it easier but it appears you don't have the mechanical knowledge required to attempt this and it is very critical to get it correct OR you will stuff your cam and lifters which will fill your motor with metal and this means a full rebuild including rebore and pistons .

Be patient - phone the mechanic and ask him to recommend somebody else if he can't get there soon enough
Old 04-12-2004, 05:31   #8 (permalink)

Yes the instructions say to turn it down 1/4 to 1/2 a turn past zero lash as the preload. They say that zero lash is when you just cant rotate the pushrod anymore.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:32   #9 (permalink)

I could understand him wanting to do it rather than me do it myself
Old 04-12-2004, 05:52   #10 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Yes the instructions say to turn it down 1/4 to 1/2 a turn past zero lash as the preload. They say that zero lash is when you just cant rotate the pushrod anymore.
Thats when you can't rotate it freely anymore - it goes from being "loose" to being firm and then another 1/4 turn or so.

BUT you have to be sure that you are on TDC or the adjustment will be incorrect and this when you can bend pushrods if its too tight or slap the cam and lifters if too loose.

After you have been shown how to do it then attempt it yourself. This way you will still have an engine to work on.

It is unusual to have to reset hydraulic tappets so soon after installing them and I am wondering if something else is amiss - leave it to the mechanic as you won't have any recourse om him if you have been playing with it.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech