Running a cooler 351 clevo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 17:25   #1 (permalink)

Running a cooler 351 clevo

Hi All,

Im running a 351 clevo in an XE. It reaches about 95degrees cel on the open road and 110-115degrees cel around town. Is this normal?
I am running a 3 core radiator.
How do you run them cooler?
Do Thermo fans make a difference?
Feedback much appreciated?

Thanks
Joe
zed54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 02:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Running a cooler 351 clevo

I'd say that's too hot. Could be a few simple things.

I have a 180*F (83*C) thermostat in mine which is a standard temp rating. On the highway it sits right on that regulating temp meaning my cooling system is fine. Around town in city traffic it would go a little higher with the engine fan only, around 190-200*F (88-94*C). Your 110*C (230*F) is pretty hot!

Is your radiator clean from sluge etc? Good flush and make sure all the cooling tubes are clear from hardened crap which blocks the radiator.

Try a high flow thermostat, they let more water by.

Use a good coolant.

Plastic engine fan SHROUD fitted on your radiator? Otherwise it makes them very inefficient when you need it.

Is your pump in OK order?

Lower radiator hose OK? Is it still hard to compress? Inner spring stops the hose sucking in on itself creating a blockage.

With my electric fans fitted now, I can drive in 40* city traffic and keep it on 180 (83*F)!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:58   #3 (permalink)

i know this goes against what everbody beleives but i would try taking the thermostat out and leaving it out i had a cleveland in a sigma and had alot of heat problems i ended up totally cooking one engine and then built a new one and still had overheating problems i had a large 3 core radiater and a 16" thermo fan so i knew they were fine i tried a couple of new thermostats and still the same problems as a last resort i ripped the thermostat out and then it ran fine i have had quite a few clevo`s and never had these problems before and none of them had thermostats in them now the thermostat slows the flow of water down so the water can stay in the radiater longer and cool it down this may be right on a brand new block as it has clean water jackets now with the old clevo`s there jackets are covered in rust scale i beleive that this scale slows the water down enough to keep it cool and therefore you dont need the thermostat i would try leaving it out it cost`s nothing to try
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:05   #4 (permalink)

That would definitely tell whether the thermostat is inhibiting flow.

In the middle of winter (at least in country Vic!!) your engine will take ages to heat up properly with no thermostat. In snowy countries a thermostat is a must, otherwise your engine will wear out from running it so cold.

A thermostat is actually designed to hold water in the engine longer, not the radiator. This allows the water to heat up in the block, not really cool down in the radiator. Once at operating temp, it lets the out water out and cool water in.

krusty, have you seen the BIG free flowing thermostats you can get? The water passage in them is huge compared to those crappy stock ones.
Old 10-30-2005, 21:21   #5 (permalink)

mine ran hot all the time untill I fitted twin EL thermos.

I think this is due to the extractors making the engine bay alot hotter and the engine is therfore sucking in hot air, as it ran fine with the old manifolds fitted. it would be interesting to see if fitting a scoop would change anythig.
Old 10-30-2005, 22:19   #6 (permalink)

The rebuild is only 2 years old. New water pump at the time, Im not sure about the thermostat, Im sure its a stocky. Hoses and radiator are new too
I get enormous heat from the extractors thou, so I am going to put a set of thermo fans. What size twins would you recommend?
I was also going to cut a couple of vents in the bonnet to release the heat, but they look terrible!
Old 10-30-2005, 23:05   #7 (permalink)

well guess what?
It doesnt run have a thermostat in it!
But i have noticed that the temp gauge sits on 50degrees before the car is running. Its a speco gauge, what are the chances the gauge is out of calibration?

Joe
Old 10-30-2005, 23:32   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed54
well guess what?
It doesnt run have a thermostat in it!
But i have noticed that the temp gauge sits on 50degrees before the car is running. Its a speco gauge, what are the chances the gauge is out of calibration?

Joe
Definitely a good chance the gauge or sender is out of whack. Senders are cheap. Is 50 degrees on the lower stop for the gauge? Water tempo gauges don't go to zero- motor freezing!

Most common upgrade if fitting electric fans is a set of twin fans from an AU Falcon.....they're all housed in a custom fitting shroud. You won't buy better. There are aftermarket shops/websites that sell cheaper versions for about $200-250.
Old 10-30-2005, 23:48   #9 (permalink)

Hook up the standard gauge, put a thermostat in, fit a set of AU fans and it should be a different car alltogether. (sounds obvious when I typed it.....)
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 00:05   #10 (permalink)

the gauge starts at 40degrees. As soon as you turn to Acc before cranking the car over it jumps staright to 50. I thought that before cranking the car over water temp would be 25 degree. If the gauge is 10 degrees out of wack that would indicate why the gauge is hitting 100 plus.

So a super flo thermostat and a set of au fans, does the standard fan stay?
Whats the diameter of the au fan?

Thanks for the feedback
Cheers
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech