Ford Forums banner

Ryco oil filters - warning

33K views 53 replies 27 participants last post by  xcgxl 
#1 ·
Went to change the oil & filter but the reputable Ryco was firm to screw on and got tighter the further it went on. Was well short of seating when I decided to take it back off to check the thread in the filter. Had not been cross threaded. Old filter went back on without any resistance.

Took the new one back to the retailer who pointed out they are now made in China. Replacement Ryco was gave exactly the same problem as the 1st. Visually it appeared to have a tapered thread compared to the old one which was made in Australia.

had to settle for a "Valvoline" filter (also made in China) to get the car off the ramps and back in the garage as there is not much open at 4.30pm on a sunday. It screwed on freely.

In future I will be buying genuine Ford as long as they are made here.

I am sure that if I forced the new Ryco on it would have buggered the thread on the block. Would Ryco be replacing the block and paying for the rebuild - I don't think so! Will be complaining direct to Ryco tommorrow. At least they will know why their Z9 sales have ground to a halt.

#3 ·
ah so dont you people know yet ryco has actually been bought out by either cooper or wesfil they are only going to keep making the more popular filters and they might even shut right down give cooper filters a look in they seem to be pretty good or their are a couple of good filters such as k&n oe penzoil ones most autobarns should be able to help you out with some sought of aftermarket filter just dont be scared when they tell you how much

#4 ·
it is getting harder and harder to buy anything of quality these days,

would be very interesting to know who makes the motorcraft filters ???

proberly the same factory in china !!

#6 ·
All things considered and the important job a filter is suppose to do my advice is do skimp, Same with fuel filter's as we all know the so called quality of fuel these day's a quality fuel filter is must as well, I am about to buy a system 1 oil filter and a magnafuel quickstar 270 with filter at the pump and another one before the carb, not cheap but should last me through another couple of engine's.
AZZA

#7 ·
You could always try accel filters or you could just do what I do and buy k&ns from the usa next time you buy something big from one of the usa companies .
When ever I buy something that I need from jegs I will throw in some filters at $12.00aus its not bad to have sitting on the bench

PS I have worked for a major aftermarket company here in WA and I have to say 9 times out of 10 mechanics and public want the cheapest products possible.
There is a reason they are cheap and its because they are cheap

#11 ·
My old T-bird(1988) gets the synthetic treatment from Exxon and the filter is Fram. Have no idea where either is made but together they sure do smooth out ole Betsy.

As an aside, the radio and hvac controls on the 2005 T-bird are exactly the same as what's on my new Toyota Camry, Kentucky-made by the way.

Auto parts are of such a universal nature nowadays, they are mostly all the same and more and more they are made in China...America has priced itself right out of the market.

#12 ·
brenx said:
I had no troubles with the two new look Z9's I fitted. I screwed them up by hand.
Yeah, they should always be installed and removed by hand... tighten 2/3 of a turn after the seal touches...

I use any filter I can get and I don't mind if its cheap as I always replace it every oil change (5,000ks after warranty). I have never had this problem. The last few I used on my AUII before trading it were Repcos from Repco...

Thanks for the heads up though as my BA will be out of warranty soon.

#19 ·
I got my info about Ryco from a trade magazine, it also said they are going to sack about 30 people locally. Why not Valvoline? Because we sell them and have had a few problems with them, mainly diesel oil filters with anti drain back valves somehow restricting flow.

#20 ·
The Valvoline filter I bought from Supercheap was made in China under license to Valvoline USA.

The Cooper filter I was given today as a replacement for the 2nd crook Ryco was also made in China. The generic "no name" brand at Supercheap is made in Korea.

Was too busy with work today to get onto Ryco but will be able to do so tomorrow. Will post up the outcome here.

#21 · (Edited)
GUD Holdings own Ryco and Ryco has a lvery ong history of making oil filters for Ford Australia (your Motorcraft filters) & GMH. I thought they moved most of their filter manufacturing to NZ a year or two ago.

See http://www.gud.com.au/ryco.htm
Ryco, Wesfil and Goss constitute the automotive parts business group of GUD. Ryco was the business from which the GUD group developed. It is the leading brand of automotive filtration products in the Australian and New Zealand markets.

Wesfil is a major importer of automotive filters in Australia for the aftermarket, servicing a growing market, as automobile imports continue to grow.

The complete product range includes oil, air and fuel filters marketed under the high profile Ryco, Wesfil and Cooper brands, and fuel pumps and associated parts that bear the equally well-established Goss brand name.
and http://www.gud.com.au/about.htm

GUD Holdings Limited is an Australasian manufacturing and marketing company operating in a number of dynamic consumer and industrial markets.

GUD has a proud history of owning, managing and developing many of Australia's and New Zealand's leading, well recognized and highly respected brands. These brands include Sunbeam small appliances, Victa lawncare products, Oates cleaning hardware, Ryco, Wesfil, Goss automotive parts, Davey pumps and water pressure systems, Spa-Quip spa pool controllers, Microlene, Steriflo and Filterpure water treatment products and Lock Focus security products.

GUD has been listed on the Australian Stock Exchange for over 50 years and is included in the S&P ASX 200 index.
and http://www.rycofilters.com.au/index.php?pageID=12
G.U.D. 62 Years in Australia
GUD Manufacturing Company was formed in 1940 by W.L. Ryan and A.J. Harford, initially engaged in the production of a wide range of chemical products from furniture polish to toothpaste.

The company began importing filters from the United States based Fram Corporation, but the second World War made it impractical to continue importing. The decision was made to manufacture automotive filtration products in Australia to meet major war time requirements, - a direct consequence of the Americans entering World War II in the Pacific Basin.

Initially selling filters under the brand name Ryco-Fram, this continued until 1946 when the GUD Manufacturing Company's association with Fram was curtailed by the Australian Government, who requested that all Australian companies cease spending US dollars in royalties. From this point two GUD Manufacturing Company filter brands were established, the RYCO brand and the GUD brand.

The range of canister type filters developed quite considerably to include cotton roving style fuel filters and felt filters during the next few years. Throw away oil filters became additions in 1949/50 and in mid 1950 paper oil and fuel filters were introduced, replacing the oil bath air filters of the era.

GUD Manufacturing Company commenced spin-on oil filter production in the late 1950's. Two of the first part numbers were Z9 and Z10, both for the Ford Motor Company. The Z10 oil filter was used as original equipment on the Ford Falcon, Z9 becoming the service replacement oil filter for the same model.

Co-founder of the GUD Manufacturing Company, W.L. Ryan, then established the automotive wholesaling company W.L. Ryan Pty Ltd. This company marketed the wide range of products manufactured by GUD under the new "RYCO" brand name.

The next step in this ever growing Australian manufacturer's history saw Ryan's partner, A.J. Harford leave Australia and set up a virtually duplicate manufacturing organisation in Durban, South Africa. Harford maintained his interest in GUD Manufacturing Company and W.L. Ryan was his equal partner in the South African project.

The firm grew to include European manufacturing and distribution through United Kingdom Licensee G.E. Jones and a Dutch organisation was set up known as GUD Europe. All of these foreign operations were administered by Harford, by now a Swiss resident.

The English and Dutch companies operated successfully for more than a decade, discontinuing business in the late 1970's, while the South African company and the Australian company continue to flourish to this day.

By the early 60's, automotive filter designs became more complex, requiring larger production runs and stock commitments to cater for the boom in vehicle sales. It became increasingly difficult for GUD Manufacturing Company to maintain both the duplicate GUD and RYCO brands. The decision was made to market all GUD Manufacturing Company automotive filters under the one RYCO brand name.

The RYCO brand name has since become an icon in the Australian automotive aftermarket. RYCO continues to be Australia's top selling brand of automotive oil, air and fuel filters sixty years on, boasting a range and level of quality that is unsurpassed in the Australian market.

In 1958, GUD Holdings Limited was formed to acquire the capital of GUD Manufacturing Company Pty Ltd. The new company first appeared on the Melbourne Stock Exchange in 1959, where it remains today.
As GUD own Coopers and Wesfil it would be bit hard for them to take over GUD but perhaps Wefil the importing arm is going to replace the Ryco manudfacturing arm in Australia as the supply source. See http://www.gud.com.au/upload/150_20x10x200521256PM.pdf

The Filtration division should benefit from recent restructuring and offshore
sourcing of product, while continued product development by Davey and
Lock Focus should deliver growth from both divisions. Davey will also
benefit from a full 12 month contribution from last year’s acquisition of
Contamination Control (divisional forecasts are detailed overleaf).

#22 ·
The mighty AFL1 motorcraft filter is now made in Thailand. It has also had it's part number changed to AFL1MC.
It's the only filter i use on my cars and have had no problems to date. Although have used another motorcraft filter and found it had no thread tapped in it.

#23 ·
Aussiblue said:
GUD Holdings own Ryco and Ryco has a lvery ong history of making oil filters for Ford Australia (your Motorcraft filters) & GMH. I thought they moved most of their filter manufacturing to NZ a year or two ago.

See http://www.gud.com.au/ryco.htm

and http://www.gud.com.au/about.htm

and http://www.rycofilters.com.au/index.php?pageID=12

As GUD own Coopers and Wesfil it would be bit hard for them to take over GUD but perhaps Wefil the importing arm is going to replace the Ryco manudfacturing arm in Australia as the supply source. See http://www.gud.com.au/upload/150_20x10x200521256PM.pdf

thanks for the history lesson Aussiblue.
i never would have made a conection between ryco filters and victa mowers.

you have been busy. :hy:

#24 ·
last annual report of GUD at http://www.gud.com.au/downloads/pdf/ar05.pdf [/QUOTE]Closed Ryco’s automotive filter manufacturing in Australia and transitioned to a sourcing business.
......GUD
announced in September 2004 that it would be ceasing
the manufacture of automotive filters in Australia in early
calendar 2005. GUD Automotive, the Group’s business
unit that supplies the market leading Ryco brand of oil,
air and fuel filters to automotive aftermarkets in Australia,
determined that to be able to compete in the future it
needed to have access to a much lower cost product.
Continuing to manufacture automotive filters in Australia
did not enable this business to generate the margins
required to ensure satisfactory future returns, hence the
decision was made to cease manufacturing and to
source products from quality-accredited offshore
suppliers....
and in the summary of operations
Automotive aftermarket products:
• Ryco oil, air and fuel filters
• Wesfil and Cooper filters
• Wix heavy duty filters
• Goss fuel pumps
Closed filter manufacturing plant at
Tottenham.
Converted Ryco Australia to a full
import business.
Grew CVA return despite tough market
conditions.
Retained key housebrand contracts in
New Zealand.
Consolidate new sourcing structure
in GUD Automotive.
Support Ryco with targeted sales
and marketing programs.
Introduce new image for Ryco with
revamped packaging.
Evaluate further geographic expansion
for Wesfil.
Implement new business enterprise
system in Wesfil.
The conversion of Ryco Australia to a full import business
mirrors the strategy adopted in Sunbeam in the late
1990s and finalised with the relocation of electric blanket
manufacturing.
The final facets of Ryco Australia’s transition, following
the partial move in 2003/04, encompassed the closure
of the Tottenham oil and air filter manufacturing lines,
the identification of suitably qualified, cost-competitive
manufacturers and the establishment of product quality
assurance processes with the chosen suppliers, to
ensure that all products meet Ryco’s technical
specifications.
It's all kind of sad given the Ryco history in Australian automotive filter making. GUD also own Victa so who knows that Aussie icon may also eventually be headed for full offshore manufacture a well. They have already takenanother subsidiary, Sunbeam offshore.
Victa’s sales were impacted by the introduction
of low cost imported mowers.
I guess it's our own fault when we buy these things on price rather than quality.

#25 ·
Aussiblue said:
I guess it's our own fault when we buy these things on price rather than quality.
so true.

makes the future kind of scary in a way.

we are turning into a country that wont be able to build, grow etc anything in a few years time.every thing we use will be imported shit.

and the :wank2: :wank2: :wank2: in canberra think that every one should be happy because the economy looks good on paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.