safe 200hp nitrous - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2005, 02:16   #1 (permalink)

safe 200hp nitrous

Just looking for opinions about what would be required for the safe use of 200hp nitrous. I’d imagine forged rotating assembly. . . . Ring gap, camshaft selection, compression ratio?

Does this stuff have any effect on the valvetrain?

Would be nice to have a mild 350hp daily driver and 550+ for the strip. :)
351ZAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2005, 15:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: safe 200hp nitrous

Through much experimentation I have found that a standard motor can handle a 40% increase in horse power through NOS without any mods at all, so if you have a 350hp motor now that 40% is knocking on 500hp safely.

A word to the wise tho, Fuel plays a MAJOR part in using NOS, use bad/old or low octane fuel and your motor is lunched in seconds.
Old 11-07-2005, 22:29   #3 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

All depends how much you want to use the gas, or how long you want it to last.

You wouldn't really need a forged rot assembly if only using it ocasioanlly at the strip.

If you where keen on pumping 200HP into, you'd be looking at least forged pistons.

You can do anything with nitrous. How safe you want it to be, and how long you want it to last are 2 of the main deciding factors.

Keep a good watch on fuel. good fuel makes things easier.

More than anything, a good safe tune will see your engine last a LONG time.

Are you serious about doing this, or just asking the question for the sake of asking?
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:06   #4 (permalink)

Seriously considering, TTNOS8. We all want to go fast as possible on the track, but for me a weekend only car is not really what I want.

Right now I’m having an engine built and nitrous seems like the way to have your cake and eat it too. So I think its good to start the process as educated as possible as to what can be done, and get a good balance of compromises.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:04   #5 (permalink)

when you set your gas system up make sure you start off with only an extra 50 hp rather than going for 200hp straight away your less likely to grenade your new engine that way, just until you know what your doing and have sorted out any bugs then gradually step up eg 50hp 100hp then 200hp
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 15:05   #6 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351ZAFairlane
Seriously considering, TTNOS8. We all want to go fast as possible on the track, but for me a weekend only car is not really what I want.

Right now I’m having an engine built and nitrous seems like the way to have your cake and eat it too. So I think its good to start the process as educated as possible as to what can be done, and get a good balance of compromises.
No worries then. Just thought I'd ask

Unless you can easily afford it, or you want to use the gas alot, I wouldn't worry about a forged bottom end. Just forged pistons.

You may even find that in the end you won't need 200HP nitrous into it. You might find that 150HP makes your pucker squeeeeze tight. lol

Run good fuel. All the time. like at least 95 octane pump, if not 98.

Have you dizzy graphed to suit, better than having to retard the timing each time you wanna use the gas. And have a good ignition system. Go over everything.

Go colder plugs, probably at least 2 heat ranges.

Have a nice free flowing exhaust. Nitrous needs to get out quick so it can get the new stuff in quick.

Fuel system. Spend a lot of time, thought and a bit of money here. Get good pump/s that can handle what you want them to do and more. Have nice piping running everywhere, no kinks, where bends, tiny fittings, etc. Make sure that under power (driving) that the pumps will continue to be fed. One little starve and BOOM!

Have the car tuned right before playing with the gas. Its a good starting point. Plus nitrous will only make any small problems now bigger.

Run a hobbs/pressure switch on your nitrous fuel side to cut power to the arming circuit should fuel pressure drop (this can save the previous mentioned boom!)

Try and run a return style reg for the nitrous fuel side. It will make tuning an ease, and give a nicer feel when you hit the gas. much smoother.

There are a STACK more things to do, but it might be easier to e-mail or call me.

Most of important of all is a good tune from someone that knows what they are doing. This can be the difference between it all.

Your on the right track. Do plenty of research before making a mistake.

The NOS website is good for advice and has a heap of FAQ's answered.

Good Luck.

ps. Nitrous is addictive. It is extremely likely that every vehicle you own after having used nitrous, will be fitted with it... lol
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 18:25   #7 (permalink)

Good advise,

If you have never run nitrous before, 200hp is not the point to begin learning. A 200 shot can do an awful lot of damage!
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:12   #8 (permalink)
Resident Budget Racer

Just to reinforce the good advice of TTNOS8 and Racer, I've been fooling with 100/125hp shot of n2o for a little while and managed to hole a piston twice.

It's not like I'm a complete fu#kwit (although the question has to be asked). I was careful, but not careful enough.

It's quite possible someone who had a better idea of what they were doing could run 200hp on my motor. I managed to damage it using only 100hp.

So it's not so much the amount of nitrous you use, within reason, it's getting it tuned correctly that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351ZAFairlane
Would be nice to have a mild 350hp daily driver and 550+ for the strip. :)
100hp shot dropped my 13.8@98Mph to 12.1@114mph
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:50   #9 (permalink)

Appreciate all the replies.

Good to see that at least it is a practical possibility.

Yeah, thanks for the e-mail offer, TTNOS8, all I need to do now is get the ball rolling.

The engine getting built will have liquid forged pistons; 400-450fwhp + nitrous. I guess fourteens with a 302C will be a thing of the past. It’s a damn shame aint it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech