The search begins... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2004, 03:15   #1 (permalink)

The search begins...

Hi all

As soon as i leave school i will be pulling down my 302 to be rebuilt. I will immediately go with a 351 crank in it etc.. At the moment it is a stock standard 302 and i want a 351 that will put out a large amount of horspower. My budget is 8k and i was wondering what i should start looking into for hi-po parts for my cleveland (alloy heads maybe something along those lines, plus right size extractors and the list goes on, can someone recommend a good setup that will beat clubsports in between lights, hehe.. can this be achieved with 8k budget?
The car is an XD, it has a toploader behind it and 3.23 9" diff so there shouldnt be an issue with drivline problems

Peace out
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2004, 05:18   #2 (permalink)
Mr Slippery

Re: The search begins...

let me make a suggestion even though you will probably ignore it, but can I suggest you walk into an engine shop (u will have to use one eventually) and say "hi I have a 351 Cleveland and an 8k budget what can we do and what do I get for my money" instead of asking here where everyone will tell you their combo is better than the previous one without any real way to back their responses, plus you may find that an engine shop has tried many combos in different cars and will be better suited to give you advice for your application.

Also and I hate to say this but I will if you need to ask what you are going to have to buy for this engine chances are you may not know enough to be selecting appropriate parts in the first place and should leave the important decisions to the person building the motor, I just think you may be starting another war here.

Last edited by TyreToaster; 02-15-2004 at 05:24.
TyreToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 23:33   #3 (permalink)
Whats traction?

You can start getting exhaust manifolds, radiator, thermo fans, air cleaners, etc but i'd agree with tyretoaster that your probably better off speaking to engine builders about your bottom end, cam and heads.

They can give you prices and HP figures as well as the cost to do your heads and what carby will suit. With 3.23:1 gears and a toploader i'd also forget about HP figures and start worrying about torque figures. Big HP engines will loose to big torque engines on the street every time and cost far less to build.

P.s. If all your after is beating dunnydoors at lights then it'd be far cheaper to keep your 302, get a set of 5:1 gears and an auto with a 3500rpm stallie. If you want to do something usefull with your engine like 1/4mile racing then maybe its worth building a decent engine.

My 2c.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:59   #4 (permalink)

yeh i would do what tyre toaster told me to do.. go into an engine builders and say that, but, i would want to know if they are ripping me off, i have a fair knowledge.. and i do want to be able to run it on the quarter, so keeping the 302 is not what i want to do. The monster torque engines sound like a good idea, do you think i could get around 300hp at the wheels but like alot of torque? sorry if im not making any sense but i need to know whats good and whats not if you know what i mean, like, wot other clevo users have under their hood and what quarter times they are getting. You get what i mean?

XDman

p.s. with the engine builders, theres like 2 decent guys in town... so i havnt got much of a choice
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500

Last edited by XDman; 02-16-2004 at 03:04.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:12   #5 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

i agree with tyre toaster also, it can be easier and cheaper sometimes to cosult the engine building professionals, some you will find will have and engine sitting there with its specs and HP outputs, my father had a 351 short motor prepaired that came to around $5000 its meant to be good for 380Hp with his 302 2Vhead combination (the heads of course have had work done to them). If your mainly concerned with beating cars off the line between the lights then yeah go and get a set of 4.11:1 diff gears, port and polish your heads so it will rev better, and get a good intake manifold and carb setup.
just my 2cents
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:01   #6 (permalink)

8grand is heaps for a decent street engine.

Why don't you buy a complete motor with dyno report from an engine builder, such as COME racing, they are expensive and could most likely get the same thing done from another engine builder for a lot less.

Have a look at COME for an idea of what you want, if you want to be quick you'll need to focus on torque, a 378 stroker will give more than a 351.

http://www.comeracing.com/ and check out the 378c SS2 Street it has 330hp and more importantly 347lb/ft of torque complete motor around 7grand, you have to supply a change over though.

Or the 378ss2 Stree/Strip for $7700 a little more power (380hp/ 349lb/ft torque) than the previous engine.
just my 2cents
clevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:10   #7 (permalink)

yeh thats what i was thinking, i just want to be able to beat a powerful HSV cause im sick of getting spanked by v6 eco's in any holden :(
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Old 02-16-2004, 05:18   #8 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDman
yeh i would do what tyre toaster told me to do.. go into an engine builders and say that, but, i would want to know if they are ripping me off, i have a fair knowledge.. and i do want to be able to run it on the quarter, so keeping the 302 is not what i want to do. The monster torque engines sound like a good idea, do you think i could get around 300hp at the wheels but like alot of torque? sorry if im not making any sense but i need to know whats good and whats not if you know what i mean, like, wot other clevo users have under their hood and what quarter times they are getting. You get what i mean?

XDman

p.s. with the engine builders, theres like 2 decent guys in town... so i havnt got much of a choice
There is always a choice. Go out of town if you have to but make sure you post the specs they have offered you and we will always be able to tell you if their trying to stooge you.

300hp and monster torque is definatly possible. I spoke with an engine builder a few years ago that put it perfectly...

"If i had 2 engines sitting here, one with 400HP and the other with 300HP, 99.9% of people walking through the door would pick the 400HP engine without even questioning the torque. The reality is if the 300HP engine was making 30% more torque than the 400hp engine it would not only beat the 400hp engine any day of the week it would be cheaper to build and cheaper to run too."

How can I put it any other way? (and i might add this guy builds drag engines for a living and has run some of the fastest cars in the country over the years).

I'd give you some figures for my engine, but at the moment i don't have any!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:20   #9 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

380 hp is about 290kW right
so 347lb/ft is how many nM?
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:36   #10 (permalink)

if you could find them it would be sweet as, and ive decided my mind im gonna stooge on the HP but its the torque that wins races so im gonna look for a torque monster... cant wait!!! any recommendations who is a good builder down there, looks like ill have to ship my donk down there and get it brought back up cause here is crap for engine building :mad:
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech