Shakey block - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2005, 12:41   #1 (permalink)

confused Shakey block

Can anyone tell me whats going on, my 302cl, headers, 650cfm holley, has been going not to bad in the last 5 months, even though it my need a tune up or rebuild(its a factory 79 XD 302), untill i stopped driving it 1 week ago from today.
Now i went to start it up(done this before,left it for a few days then cranked it over no problem) yesterday and the whole engine just shook like mad, and would idle low like that for all the time it was running, just shaking.
Drove it round the block, couldnt go past 50km, gear change was s#*t(auto)
Feels like no compression somewhere or timing out(but diz hasnt moved at all), or gasket leak? around carb/inlet?
Im not to sure really, but if anyone knows wot im saying, please reply, and if any questions ill try to answer as best i can.cheers
Was going for a warrant but cant even drive back to the test station.
79XD82ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 15:25   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Shakey block

Fouled plug?
Old 06-20-2005, 16:47   #3 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Fouled plug?
Not likely. More likely is a slipped timing chain/tooth, dampener inertia ring elastomeric problem, or possibly loose sparkplug high tension leads, emphasis on plural.

I've had internal carb leaks and have run with fouled, even wet, plugs before...and they didn't shake as bad as what is being described.

There are a lot of potential mechanical reasons for bad engine vibration, including losing a rod cap and sticking a piston at the top of the cylinder. Other possibilities include an imbalance weight coming loose from the the dampener. A broken engine mount could also amplify some kinds of problems.

I'd look for where the vibration is coming from and fix it.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 17:00   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I've had fouled plugs make the shake as if the engine only had 3 pistons before. It sounded like it was only running on 2-3 cyls. The fuel/flames and vapour coming out the tailpipes confirmed it.

The with my foot to the floor I couldn't rev more than 2000rpm or drive the car up my driveway. I needed asistance to get it up the driveway. I always try the simplest things first. The reason I suspect plugs is because it was sitting. Which mine did for almost 2 years without street legal use. The engine sounded like a chaff cutter.
Old 06-20-2005, 18:26   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I've had fouled plugs make the shake as if the engine only had 3 pistons before. It sounded like it was only running on 2-3 cyls. The fuel/flames and vapour coming out the tailpipes confirmed it.

The with my foot to the floor I couldn't rev more than 2000rpm or drive the car up my driveway. I needed asistance to get it up the driveway. I always try the simplest things first. The reason I suspect plugs is because it was sitting. Which mine did for almost 2 years without street legal use. The engine sounded like a chaff cutter.
Cheers for the help guys, brenx, yeah that sort of hits it on the button, will check plugs, leads, tomorrow, and get back to yous.
Old 06-20-2005, 21:09   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79XD82ZJ
Cheers for the help guys, brenx, yeah that sort of hits it on the button, will check plugs, leads, tomorrow, and get back to yous.
Idle the car (if you can) and then pull the ingnition leads off one at a time (from the dissy cap). If the idle gets worse - that one is OK. If the idle doesn't change - thats the suspect one to start with. Try them all, don't just suspect one............could be 2. And/or pull them all and look for different colour ones (black/oily)

Just check all the other basic little things that effect your tune as well. eg:
dissy cap/rotor.........and timing if you can.
Old 06-20-2005, 21:15   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Hardware that can also cause it will be lifter and pushrods. There's loads of items that can cause the symptoms as Davis stated.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:23   #8 (permalink)

Hi people

All good now, checked dizzy cap, leads, timing, carb/manifold(in/out) leaks, and they seemed ok. checked all plugs and they were all oiley and fouled so replaced them and straight away she was firing like new, and its driving sweet as. i suppose im lucky as that is all it was, yeah it could have been anything too, but doing the simplest checks first helped out.
So thanks everyone for the help, all info received/mentioned very much appreciated.cheers.
(GOCLVO)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech