shelbycobra - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 00:00   #1 (permalink)

shelbycobra

ok im building a shelby cobra kit car and im woundering what engine i should use. the 302 or a 351C. i know that the 351 has the four bolt main but the 302 is also about 100 pounds lighter. i would like to see what everyone else things. thanks for the help
shelby_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2006, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
CLEVO KID

Re: shelbycobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby_85
ok im building a shelby cobra kit car and im woundering what engine i should use. the 302 or a 351C. i know that the 351 has the four bolt main but the 302 is also about 100 pounds lighter. i would like to see what everyone else things. thanks for the help
All depends on what you are going to use it for? cruising,drags ,circuit, I take it a 302w or 351c are the options at this stage ,You have got such a light foundation , power to weight ratio will be better than most vehicles its going to be a real missile ,with either of theses provided its a healthy engine.Have you ever considered something like a 302 boss -8.2 windsor block with something like CHI 185 3v heads ,you can even stroke it to 347 you would have one very tuff engine thats lighter over your front axle.?
potty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 00:28   #3 (permalink)

You will find virtually all 351 Clevelands have 2 bolt mains but you can fit 4 bolt caps by drilling and tapping the block.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:04   #4 (permalink)

theres a lot of choices but if you want an easy modern option go an injected windsor
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 13:16   #5 (permalink)

get a roller cam injected 5ltr , alloy heads, and 6 speed box going to the jag rear end.
Old 01-28-2006, 14:32   #6 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

i built a Shelby Cobra Kit Replica too. im using a 302 for the weight issue. it doesnt need any weight in the front. the problem with these cars is that the rear is so light. plus, the last thing it needs is more power. i can break the rear loose in 3rd without even poppin the clutch. its plenty fast with a 302, its better on gas, lighter, and leaves room for any mods u may want to add later down the road.

Cheers, and GL

Rad
Old 01-28-2006, 16:53   #7 (permalink)

Hi Shelby_85,
I am also building a Cobra replica and went for the Cleveland option. Where i am, you have to run them on LPG if they are in a new car, so i went that way and put on a Whipple 3300AX supercharger for just a bit more go.......

I think it more than makes up for the block being 100lbs heavier.

Cheers
gus351
gus351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 17:15   #8 (permalink)

A 302 Cobra with 380 hp, good brakes and suspension setup would blow most cars off the road. With a carby. Doesn't need fuel injection unless you want it.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech