Ford Forums banner

shelbycobra

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  northey 
#1 ·
ok im building a shelby cobra kit car and im woundering what engine i should use. the 302 or a 351C. i know that the 351 has the four bolt main but the 302 is also about 100 pounds lighter. i would like to see what everyone else things. thanks for the help

#2 ·
shelby_85 said:
ok im building a shelby cobra kit car and im woundering what engine i should use. the 302 or a 351C. i know that the 351 has the four bolt main but the 302 is also about 100 pounds lighter. i would like to see what everyone else things. thanks for the help
All depends on what you are going to use it for? cruising,drags ,circuit, I take it a 302w or 351c are the options at this stage ,You have got such a light foundation , power to weight ratio will be better than most vehicles its going to be a real missile ,with either of theses provided its a healthy engine.Have you ever considered something like a 302 boss -8.2 windsor block with something like CHI 185 3v heads ,you can even stroke it to 347 you would have one very tuff engine thats lighter over your front axle.? :priest:

#6 ·
i built a Shelby Cobra Kit Replica too. im using a 302 for the weight issue. it doesnt need any weight in the front. the problem with these cars is that the rear is so light. plus, the last thing it needs is more power. i can break the rear loose in 3rd without even poppin the clutch. its plenty fast with a 302, its better on gas, lighter, and leaves room for any mods u may want to add later down the road.

Cheers, and GL

Rad

#7 ·
Hi Shelby_85,
I am also building a Cobra replica and went for the Cleveland option. Where i am, you have to run them on LPG if they are in a new car, so i went that way and put on a Whipple 3300AX supercharger for just a bit more go.......

I think it more than makes up for the block being 100lbs heavier.

Cheers
gus351

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.