Ford Forums banner

Shortblock questions

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ScreaminC 
#1 ·
I will be going through the shortblock this winter and have a few questions to ask. First, a brief summary of my engine:

385 ci
12:1 compression CP pistons
Low tension rings (.043 or something like that)
cc 4V iron heads
Ferrera valves
NO porting
NO bowl work
Comp roller - 280 degrees duration at .050 lift and a total valve lift of .750"
Strip Dom
Hooker Super Comp's
BIGS 950

Engine is in a 1969 Ford Falcon, roughly 3300 lbs with driver. Car is used mostly for drag racing with about 100 miles of street use per year.

Questions:

1.) Gas porting. My pistons do NOT have gas ports due to the street driving. Figured they would carbon up. Would they be a good idea?

2.) Block filling. I have a good cooling system. I do not run a t-stat (so I can pull the temp down between rounds) and the car doesn't see over 160 driving or 190 sitting. I'm thinking of spraying the motor this year and considering filling the block at least a little to strengthen the bottom of the bores. Opinions?

3.) Oil pan. I run a stock oil pan currently with a MPG windage tray. I have a really cheezy baffle I welded in the pan. I'm sure I would benefit from a good pan. What pan would be best and should I get a different windage tray? Scraper?

4.) Main girdle. If I spray, it might be a good idea. Who/what/where?

5.) Lifter bores. I read about sleeving the lifter bores. Why?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.