Silly 4V question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2002, 19:21   #1 (permalink)

Silly 4V question

Hey Gent's, Maybe you can help with a problem I've been unable to solve here in the States. I have an old 55 Ford pickup that I bought many years ago. Before I became educated on Ford Motors wanted to put a 351 Clev. and auto trans in. Turned out I bought a 400 Ford from a supposed rep. dealer in junk cars. It was too late to change to the 351 C when I discovered this and had already laid out some cash. Fast foreward........

I came into some 351 4V closed chamber heads. Now thinking these would be great on a 400, I bought some spacer plates and put them on. I could never get things to seal quite right and put the stock 400 heads back on until I could figure out how to do things better. The 400 was Doctor Jeckle and Mr. Hyde with the 351 heads, at around 3500 rpm it was hold on to your a** and pulled hard to red line. I was able to out run the then current GT Mustangs.

My question is this, do you guys know of where I could get a 351M or 400 4V intake that would match up to the 351 4V heads? There has been no help like I said here in the States. I have heard Ford made a few but God only knows where they could be located. My project has been parked for some time now but I'm getting the hankering to get it out of the garage and scare a few folks. The engine and trany only have about 24,000 miles on them from total rebuilds. Thanks in advance for any and all input. Fords
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2002, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I am not aware of any manifold that is a proper match for the 4v heads on a 400 .. maybe there is an aftermarket job somewhere but thats about it.
You would be best getting a performer or such for a 2V 400 and putting that on .. it's only a workaround though.
Maybe you should look at getting 302 closed chamber heads for the 400 ... more compression but ports that match the stock sizes
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 23:06   #3 (permalink)

XA, thanks for the reply but, Already have the stock heads on with a performer. The reason I want these heads is because they have the 2. 19 intake valves with ports you can ventilate a mine shaft with vs. 2.06 and so so ports. The heads I want to use are the same heads that came on a Boss 351 or Boss 302. I've contacted a couple of minifold makers here with no answer.

The 400 has the same deck height as a 351 M. Thanks again. Fords
Old 08-02-2002, 00:09   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I am aware of what 4V heads are..but for street use bigger isn't always better..unless you have a fairly large cam and high compression then 4V heads are not that efficient.
I don't believe you will get what you want unless you get a custom made manifold

good luck
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 02:54   #5 (permalink)

Thanks.....I was hoping you guys down under had something we didn't. I understand the bigger isn't always better but with the torque the 400 makes it is a viable swap. It would be no different than a Chev 396, as they had simular heads. With our pump gas 9 1/2 to 1 would mean I wouldn't be stuck without enough octane.

I do know and engine builder here who builds engines for a local salt flats car. He said he would help but it looks like I'm stuck with the spacer plates. With the 4V heads even though I wasn't able to get a perfect seal they sure made a big difference. This project has been sitting for about 9 years now and it's time to get it back out on the street. Fords
Old 08-02-2002, 04:35   #6 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
Originally posted by XA coupe
I am aware of what 4V heads are..but for street use bigger isn't always better..unless you have a fairly large cam and high compression then 4V heads are not that efficient.
I don't believe you will get what you want unless you get a custom made manifold

good luck
4V can work well on the street, They worked well in a standard XY GT with 4V heads and a 2.75:1 diff. It is just a matter of working out an effective combination. I always thought the 400 Cleveland was a taller deck height than the 351. I could be wrong though.

As for a High Performance Manifold for the 400, I can't think of one off the top of my head as I don't think anyone does a lot of work to the 400. Please post if you do find a good manifold.

P.S. Good luck with the old F Series, I love those early F Series!
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 04:54   #7 (permalink)

Smciner1, Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right the deck height for the 400 is taller than the 351 C hence the problem. It is the same deck height of the 351 M which I don't know if it made it to your neck of the woods. The 400 and 351M share the same block as Ford didn't think they needed to run 2 different blocks. The 351 M has long rods but never caught on as a performance engine. 351 C, M and W all share the same stroke and piston size with the 400 square at 4X4 inches. But you knew that I'm sure. Thanks again......Fords
Old 08-02-2002, 05:27   #8 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

FORDS4ME,
What was the Rod Length (Centre to Centre) of the 351 MOD and the 400?
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 07:09   #9 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

351M, if Im not mistaken, wasnt that the half-breed engine Ford made as a stop gap once? It was a 400C with a 351W crank in it or something. Or vice versa, dont know, but I remember the name.

Hrrrmmm, getting a suitable performance manifold for the 4V heads on a 400C , think you might be pushing shite up a hill with a stick there. the 4V had bigger ports and valve seats, it (the 400C) is a relatively unknown engine here in OZ.

Surely there must be someone in the states that would sell them...
Old 08-03-2002, 06:37   #10 (permalink)

Fords4me,

Have you tried asking the guys on the Cleveland Engine Web board? It is based in the U.S. and they will definately be able to help as are very knowedgeable with 351C, M, and 400M stuff.

Their URL is http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/119419

or search google for "cleveland 335 series" and you will find it.

Good Luck

David
302GXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech