Solid camshaft - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 05:23   #1 (permalink)
XW GS Fairmont
 
shard351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Age: 44
Posts: 47
Solid camshaft

I'm in the process of replacing a buggered hydraulic camshaft with a solid cam. With the hydraulic (Crow cam 211367, lift .530 / .548, 0.050dur 226/232) the car made 231rwkw.

the new cam is Crow cam 21626, lift .560 / .570, 0.050dur 238/244. This seems pretty close to a Crane F238?

What do you think would be the expected power gain?
Are there any parts which don't match the combination(ie any areas for improvement)?

Engine as I know:
351 + 0.040"
Keith Black forged pistons
2V heads ported flows 530hp
Yella Terra roller rockers
Redline street torker single plane manifold
1" 4 hole spacer
750VS Holley
Accel electronic dissy
4-1 Pacemaker headers 2"primaries
2.25" twin exhaust

Engine runs through toploader and 3.25 LSD 9in diff
shard351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-19-2005, 05:46   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont
 
brenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cranbourne, Vic
Posts: 5,113
Re: Solid camshaft

Probably go close to 250rwkw with the manual box. Parts that don't match? Carb I'd think. Also exhaust twin 2.5" would work better. Use what you have and see what happens. It can't hurt.
__________________
XB Fairmont (street car) 11.07@123.02mph.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:54   #3 (permalink)
XW GS Fairmont
 
shard351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Age: 44
Posts: 47
Re: Solid camshaft

Yeah, 2.5" exhaust would be good. But once bitten twice shy. I recently had the EPA to contend with.

X pipe or balance pipe would be good also.

250+rwkw would be great
shard351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:56   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sydney
Posts: 889
Re: Solid camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard351
Yeah, 2.5" exhaust would be good. But once bitten twice shy. I recently had the EPA to contend with.

X pipe or balance pipe would be good also.

250+rwkw would be great
keep both systems one for fun and one to keep the neighbours happy.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:06   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont
 
brenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cranbourne, Vic
Posts: 5,113
Re: Solid camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard351
Yeah, 2.5" exhaust would be good. But once bitten twice shy. I recently had the EPA to contend with.

X pipe or balance pipe would be good also.

250+rwkw would be great
To get a 2.5" twin system legal 96db. You need just twin straight through mufflers and at the rear you need some resonators. That netts about 94-96db. Other alternative is run better mufflers or triple flows.
__________________
XB Fairmont (street car) 11.07@123.02mph.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:24   #6 (permalink)
XW GS Fairmont
 
shard351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Age: 44
Posts: 47
Re: Solid camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
To get a 2.5" twin system legal 96db. You need just twin straight through mufflers and at the rear you need some resonators. That netts about 94-96db. Other alternative is run better mufflers or triple flows.
hmmmmm,

maybe I need a better exhaust shop. But what I was getting at was having spent money to get it legal I'm hesitant to spend more.

Reece

I was thinking about getting flanges cut in for track days.
shard351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:33   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sydney
Posts: 889
Re: Solid camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard351
hmmmmm,

maybe I need a better exhaust shop. But what I was getting at was having spent money to get it legal I'm hesitant to spend more.

Reece

I was thinking about getting flanges cut in for track days.
flanges are definatley the go just makes it easier to do anything with. the cost is minimal compared to the ease of removal.
and you can have the best of both worlds cause even the most hardcore like a quiet exhaust sometimes
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:33   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont
 
brenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cranbourne, Vic
Posts: 5,113
Re: Solid camshaft

I'd try what youve got as it doesn't hurt the hip pocket. Then go from there.
__________________
XB Fairmont (street car) 11.07@123.02mph.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 22:42   #9 (permalink)
ESP Man
 
shaynet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Gosford NSW Australia
Age: 61
Posts: 888
Re: Solid camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard351
I'm in the process of replacing a buggered hydraulic camshaft with a solid cam. With the hydraulic (Crow cam 211367, lift .530 / .548, 0.050dur 226/232) the car made 231rwkw.

the new cam is Crow cam 21626, lift .560 / .570, 0.050dur 238/244. This seems pretty close to a Crane F238?

What do you think would be the expected power gain?
Are there any parts which don't match the combination(ie any areas for improvement)?

Engine as I know:
351 + 0.040"
Keith Black forged pistons
2V heads ported flows 530hp
Yella Terra roller rockers
Redline street torker single plane manifold
1" 4 hole spacer
750VS Holley
Accel electronic dissy
4-1 Pacemaker headers 2"primaries
2.25" twin exhaust

Engine runs through toploader and 3.25 LSD 9in diff
I run a solid 605/605 lift with 248 @ 50 and AFD heads, 800 v/s carb and make 248 rwkw on Dyno Dynamics shootout mode and 252rwkw on a new Mailine dyno. see the Clevo sounds thread for vid of my car on Dyno

So if your combo willl make 250rwkw I will bring my car down to your dyno so I can make 270/280rwkw. Only thing you have that I don't is 1" spacer and 2" Pacys.
I have 1 3/4" Pacys and 2.5" twin exhaust only one muffler each side thru toploader and 3.5 geared 9"

Not bagging your car/combo but I think 231rwkw is a bit high for what it had. Try another dyno. I have no doubts you will make more power with the new cam. Good luck
__________________
The cop said "Do you know why I pulled you over". I said " Well, that all depends on how long you have been following me!"
shaynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 22:59   #10 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT
 
XFFAIRMONT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rockhampton, QLD.
Age: 29
Posts: 367
Re: Solid camshaft

The X pipe quitens the exhaust a fair bit doesn't it and draws out the gasses better.
__________________
Just love that V8 sound, rumble, music!
XFFAIRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.