Ford Forums banner

solid lifter conversion kit

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  OldIron 
#1 ·
#5 ·
solid lifters are for the higher performamce builds ... they have the advantage of not using engine oil to keep them working properly and can rev a lot higher with the problems you get with lifters 'pumping up' Hydraulic lifters use engine oil to keep themselves expanded and making sure that the correct clearances ( ie: none ) are kept. Solid lifters are basically that, solid and the adjustment is in the valve train and a manual job.
The are higher maintenence but if you want a serious build I personally think you can't go past them ... unless you get into roller but that's another story alltogether.
They also have the advantage of being rattly and a lot of people think your motor is worn out and clagged ..
:angel:

#8 ·
xacoupe said:
that's news to me .. and Ford too I suspect
I only saw solids in the Mach I Mustang here stateside in the Clevo. Any other Yanks know different? But why put up with the complexity of hydraulics and their shortcomings when you actually like the sound of solids and can goway up the rpm range once in a while. I think hydraulics were developed to quiet down the family car, then the aftermarket guys realized there's no money in solids so now we have overpriced hydraulics being thrown at us. Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.