Ford Forums banner

Sonic testing

6K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  cedric 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many blocks you blokes had sonic tested before you found a decent one? I'm on my third & at $165.00 per test (plus the cost of the blocks) I'm hoping I don't have to test too many more!
All three looked decent. One block had over .200" all over except for 3 small spots where it was down to .079".
Guess I'll just keep on looking. :bang:

#3 ·
tufLTD said:
Just wondering how many blocks you blokes had sonic tested before you found a decent one? I'm on my third & at $165.00 per test (plus the cost of the blocks) I'm hoping I don't have to test too many more!
All three looked decent. One block had over .200" all over except for 3 small spots where it was down to .079".
Guess I'll just keep on looking. :bang:
Ive never had one tested, but seems a good idea. Even if the block lasts ok, it could be causing other probs i spose like overheating/bad ring seal??
If the thin area is on one cylinder only, sleeve it and you will have a solid block by the sounds of it.

#9 ·
V8_GRUNT said:
mate going through exactly the same thing.....onto my 4th block as we speak should have results today......
Isn't that s**t! You can end up spending a small fortune before you even start the rebuild.
I've been told a decent block should have a minimum of .160" all over. Are you working on the same specs?

#10 ·
xdclevo said:
Ive never had one tested, but seems a good idea. Even if the block lasts ok, it could be causing other probs i spose like overheating/bad ring seal??
If the thin area is on one cylinder only, sleeve it and you will have a solid block by the sounds of it.
Unfortunately, the three thin spots were in three different cylinders.
I've been advised not to sleeve Clevo blocks as it weakens the deck surface of the block. Don't know how true that is but it sounds reasonable to me.

#11 ·
you guys need the number of a couple places that have stocks of cleve blocks and they have already sonic tested some. I found a couple places after a mate went through 3 attempts... I will try to get the numbers back.

the only prob is they know what the blocks are worth, the shops i mean. 500+ for good blocks, but that saves the drama of buying the blocks, post, testing, failing and goin all ova again :(

#14 ·
Similar story here.

On my second, but it's not up to scratch either.

On the hunt for a third to test.

Although the first one's thinest bore was .090" in one bore (cyl 6 from memory)

I'll keep looking, but yes at $160 odd for each test, its getting busy.

#18 ·
Had yet another block fail a sonic test today. Good all over except for No.1 cylinder. It had only .085" wall thickness.
At the same time, a sonic test report came back for a Bathurst XE 4-bolt block. 2 cylinders had less than .065"! The readings on this block were worse than any of the Clevo's I've had tested. Most cylinders on the 4-bolt had .260" on one side of the cylinder & only .060" to .070" on the other side. That's a core-shift of .100".
Makes me feel a little bit better. I only paid $50 - $100 for each block. I'd hate to guess how much the bloke paid for the XE 4-bolt.
I was told that only 2 out of 10 blocks will pass a sonic test. I'm up to number 4, so hopefully number 5 will be OK (yeah,right!!!).
Oh well, off to find another block. Cheers.

#19 ·
Pitty your in QLD. SJ performance WA and Moe engines, Vic both sell sonic tested blocks for $300. Isn't there someone in QLD that can sell you a suitable block? If that was me after that many I'd crack the shits and buy an SVO block.

#20 ·
brenx said:
Pitty your in QLD. SJ performance WA and Moe engines, Vic both sell sonic tested blocks for $300. Isn't there someone in QLD that can sell you a suitable block? If that was me after that many I'd crack the shits and buy an SVO block.
I checked with a couple of machine shops in Brissy & they want $880 + GST for a sonic-tested block (no machining). That's $968.
I was thinking of buying an SVO or similar (Dart, World) but do they do Clevo's? Most seem to be Windsor-based.

#25 ·
tuffLTD.... Call Mick at HOGG performance 33764333 he has heaps of good blocks all tested for approx $450-500 and he will help with any else you'll need. If your in QLD(or anywhere in that case) you'll know of him and his work.. he's a top bloke too. Every engine I know that he has built makes better then the norm power for whats done. Try him trust me..............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.