Speed Shop reviews - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 16:11   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Read Speed Shop reviews

hey all,
to go with my other post, i thought it would also be a good idea for people to start posting there experiences with difference speed shops etc. This could be the place to make a difference, or to get back at a shop that has upset you.
At the very least it will giv people a good idea where to buy certain things -and which stores giv good prices to the general public...
I can think of a few, the rest will come when i look through my receipts etc..
(these are just opinions, you dont have to agree)

Aussie Desert Cooler:
-hopeless company. I have dealt with Norm.H from aussie a fair bit lately. First off i ordered a tripple flow XE radiator, 3 Row. I quoted the street machine price of $416 and he laughed saying not a chance, until i pointed out the advertised price as it has been for about 6 mnths or more...
after the radiator had arrived i could see it was of high quailty, not. The radiator had not even been wet after beening made, no cleaning what so ever.
-I had paid for a tripple flow but the was NO signs of an baffle system inside the tank. Norm just had sorry for this.
-the over-flow bottle spout had never been braised on only tacked, that lasted 2 days befopre falling out.
-it went to a local shop to fix the spout, where he noticed both bottem and top tank that need to be closed for strength had not be touched.
-to many to pists inclu waiting 4weeks for $450 return on a shit rad that performed worse than the stnd 3 row i hav now.

Superoo Falcon Spares
-their prices are silly marked up though they offer alot...
-I had an order i need fast, It only took 5 weeks or so once it was sent back and forth from melboune for no reason after they left a label on the box over and over.
-their "CUSTOM" new pedal box was nothing more than an OLD box re-painted and charged double price
-their "CUSTOM" tear drop power steer bracket is soooo stupid, it all made from loose washing that you have to organise yourself, there is no point on this kit. could be done at bunnings.
-prices can be argued down allot after a couple calls.

KB Engine Parts
i would have to say i like these guys on my experiences. there parts arrived fast, the order was correct for suck a large order and all the parts were very very welll priced.

FOMOCO
prices can be talked down alot, markup is to big over all their products.
good service on phone but takes a while for then to get the stuff in the mail.
bad packaging.

just a start i guess.
sorry if this offends anyone, this is just to help people just starting out.
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 17:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: Speed Shop reviews

my experience's
ivan tighe cam shafts
good service price 250 for a cleveland solid new billet, only thing wrong is i picked up to camshafts and no tags on one and guess for the other, apart from that very good.
queensland converter service
very good overall, i ordered a 4200 c10 stall 9 inch diameter took around 5 working days, nice shiny red paint cost me 617 plus gst trade price they are called the series 5 has all the fruit only mod not done was a billet front plate and there cores are new from the states and no change over req only gripe was the converter was not packed up but came on fastway couriers who are very good.
ray parker
excellent at first but went pear shaped phoned him to order a 4v manifold for my 2v headed clevo being built and he wont sell it to me telling me it wont work and my engine builder is a dickhead, my engine builder has been building clevos for 20 years and has a lot of excellent feedback and numbers to boot
so any way if you ring terry for a manifold here is his hate list
a] 6 inch rod combo dont work on clevo
b] 4v valve's in 2v heads dont work
c] do not put a 4v manifold on a 2v head clevo he realy hates this
d] my brand new cam the cam lobes when degreed in will be out!
basically its his way or the highway he realy let me down after realy impressing me first time around. oh and my engine builder sent him a brand new metal nos shaker to fit up his manifolds when he first brought them out and this moron was stopped just before he sent the shaker overseas to be copied and manufactured for his company, yes a brand new new old stock shaker, thats what you get for helping someone out.
tfc
great guy ordered his manifold last week he wont tell you any shit has his own views but will not force down your throat and the only other thing he will do is try to sell you a comp cam which is o.k very good allround
AZZA
azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 21:46   #3 (permalink)

Azza,anyone who says 6'' rods don't work in clevelands knows nothing.There are many varied combinations that work in clevos and the 6'' rod is just one of them.It all really depends on the application.An engine builder that makes such a broad based comment probably only has one combination and sticks to it regardless of engine application.
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 22:19   #4 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

not a speed shop, but i have to comment on rare spares weather strips. people DO NOT buy their inner or outer strips for your xa/b/c. these suckers don't even touch the glass. i'll be getting my new, new ones from Clark Rubber, i know they'll fit.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 13:16   #5 (permalink)

Heres my experience (brisbane, northside)

GMF Automatics - Grahem really knows his stuff. He's helped me out so many times. He put the shift kit in my C4.

Perry engine reconditioners - these guys did all the machining work on the A14 datto motor that i'm running in the zook, and i'll be getting them to do the machining work on my clevo when I freshen it up.

Rob Bliss exhausts - I know alot of ppl don't like Rob, but he's helped me out alot as well. My best mates dad is good friends with him, prolly why he helps me out haha. Again, he's making the headers for the A14(gota make them fit around twin webber intake man).

For parts i normally use coventry. Tuning = Redcliff dyno

my 2c
xemeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 13:42   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by george 351
Azza,anyone who says 6'' rods don't work in clevelands knows nothing.There are many varied combinations that work in clevos and the 6'' rod is just one of them.It all really depends on the application.An engine builder that makes such a broad based comment probably only has one combination and sticks to it regardless of engine application.
He does not say that it won't work, just that he prefers the stock rod length. The reason that he stated was due to the Cleveland ports having good low lift flow.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:25   #7 (permalink)

Generally deal with 3 shops for parts, KB engine parts, Superplus, and VPW.

Superplus and KB are about the same, good service, fairly helpful, with average prices.

VPW is usually a fair bit cheaper than the above, but service perhaps not as good (but still acceptable.)
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:42   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I usually use

Superplus : Prices vary depending on what I'm after. I'd say 50% of the time at least no-one can match the prices I get there. I'm on 1st name basis with 2 people there.

Speedpro : prices are usually lower than most

VPW if I'm in the area. Prices are cheap but customer service is minimal. They get you the part you leave. They don't make you feel like a valued customer.

I tend to shop between superplus and speedpro the most. I have my preferances/loyalties to superplus though. Customer service is excellent.

Hallam Performance/Barney's exhausts : The end result is always well worth it. Customer service is very good. Completion times are slow but hey the product/works 1st rate. Which in the end is all the matters. Everytime my car goes for a holiday, I get it back and I'm nothing but impressed.

Brenden
Old 02-16-2005, 12:18   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xemeanmachine
Heres my experience (brisbane, northside)

GMF Automatics - Grahem really knows his stuff. He's helped me out so many times. He put the shift kit in my C4.

Perry engine reconditioners - these guys did all the machining work on the A14 datto motor that i'm running in the zook, and i'll be getting them to do the machining work on my clevo when I freshen it up.

Rob Bliss exhausts - I know alot of ppl don't like Rob, but he's helped me out alot as well. My best mates dad is good friends with him, prolly why he helps me out haha. Again, he's making the headers for the A14(gota make them fit around twin webber intake man).

For parts i normally use coventry. Tuning = Redcliff dyno

my 2c
You must be very local to me!

Perry's did not zero deck my block properly even after paying for mock assembly, had to return it after I measured! When they milled the block they missed the flanks that extend into the valley!! I had to take a file to one. Those F's

Norzworx did me exhaust system, seem ok.

Driveline services made up the tailshaft but cant balance it right after 3 attempts!!!
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 13:24   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
You must be very local to me!

Perry's did not zero deck my block properly even after paying for mock assembly, had to return it after I measured! When they milled the block they missed the flanks that extend into the valley!! I had to take a file to one. Those F's

Norzworx did me exhaust system, seem ok.

Driveline services made up the tailshaft but cant balance it right after 3 attempts!!!
Hey Northiam,

I'm over at Albany C. Which perry's did ya go to? I took the A14 to the one over at petrie, and the young guy there did all the machining, i think his name was scott. He was really helpfull.

I forgot to mention QLD Ignition leads on anzac av, I've heard that guy is the master for doing custom leads. I'm gonna try his services for the zook.

Northside carbies at geebung were also pretty good to me, I needed a new powervalve for the holley.. at around 3.30 on a sunday arvo. Luckily the owner was there working on his own car haha
xemeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech