Stalling after a dab of the brakes..? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 21:33   #1 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Stalling after a dab of the brakes..?

Neeek is rolling towards a roundabout at about 10km/h. He thinks he can make it before the car to his right hits said roundabout, but decides against, so hauls on the anchors and comes to an abrupt stop. And the mighty ZH stalls.

Of course there's more - Neeek has to try and crank her over again which involves a lot of starter motor noise but no actual V8 noise. And naturally, Neeek has flooded it. So he and he alone pushes nearly 2 tonnes of ZH across the roundabout (thanks to all who helped...) and to relative safety on the other side, making sure that no-one has a nasty "shit, there's a dirty great car with the bonnet up in my way and I have nowhere to go and no way of stopping in time" moment.

Wait for abour 5 or 10 minutes and try again - that familiar V8 burble erupts from the rear of my car, and we're off again. It behaves itself the remaining 2 kays home.

So my question is, why would a sudden stop cause my engine to stall? 302C running a 2-barrell 350 Holley.
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 22:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: Stalling after a dab of the brakes..?

Many Holley's flood under heavy braking, in fact, I can't remember a time when mine did not flood under braking. It's an auto reflex for me to keep my left foot on brake and right on throttle at the same time.
Old 10-13-2004, 22:26   #3 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
Many Holley's flood under heavy braking, in fact, I can't remember a time when mine did not flood under braking. It's an auto reflex for me to keep my left foot on brake and right on throttle at the same time.
That would certainly explain it, but at the risk of offending Holley-lovers the world over, isn't that... well, a bit crap?
Old 10-13-2004, 22:33   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
That would certainly explain it, but at the risk of offending Holley-lovers the world over, isn't that... well, a bit crap?
Yep certainly is... one of the reasons that IMO Holleys arent the best around....
Old 10-13-2004, 23:04   #5 (permalink)

The off-road guys fit an accessory Holley sell, not sure how it works or where it goes though.
Old 10-14-2004, 22:37   #6 (permalink)

Check your float level. If it is low, when you hit the brakes the level, or what there is there, may surge forward and starve the ngine of fuel.
Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 23:00   #7 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull
Check your float level. If it is low, when you hit the brakes the level, or what there is there, may surge forward and starve the ngine of fuel.
Paul
You could be onto something there... float level has recently been tinkered with and it's lower than it was before - was literally spewing petrol previously.

Methinks a little more tinkering may be required...
Old 10-14-2004, 23:09   #8 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
You could be onto something there... float level has recently been tinkered with and it's lower than it was before - was literally spewing petrol previously.

Methinks a little more tinkering may be required...
Just get a 4 barrel... that way only two barrels will flood...
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 23:12   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
The off-road guys fit an accessory Holley sell, not sure how it works or where it goes though.
They have a spring to hold the needle and seat closed to prevent flooding at extreme angles. http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...SCA/6-513.html
You can see the spring in the pic.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:15   #10 (permalink)
Nod

Sudden braking might have caused fuel to splash out the top of the vent tube (especially if your float level is too high) which would have flooded the carb. On 4bbls racers normally run a piece of rubber pipe between the front and rear vent tubes to prevent this happening.
Does your idle drop at all when you apply the brakes as it might be a vacuum leak from a stuffed master cyl that caused it.
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech