Starter motors for 351C - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 23:01   #1 (permalink)

Starter motors for 351C

Hey guys, I just ordered my self a hi-tourqe 'gear reduction' starter motor for the 351 running manual. Has anyone had these before? are the a mofo to install? I have extractors and Ive been told they have to come off to fit it. But other than that any suggestions, recomendations, experiance stories, any bits I need fir it to fit it, like adaptors?
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 03:00   #2 (permalink)
speedkills so snort Slowr

Re: Starter motors for 351C

Yeh i bought one off ebay for $189 for my 351 Clevo... Yep i was looking at installing it the other day and i believe the extractors have to come off to make things alot easier...
Unless someone knows of a way!!!!!
I dont think you need any adaptors either
http://www.freewebs.com/tzenu
crzyxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:07   #3 (permalink)

I wouldnt own a starter that required removong the extractor to fit. I dont like changing starters, yet alone taking off exhausts. Surely it would fit without having to do that ah??
Old 04-20-2004, 04:45   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

what? removing the extractors to fill a hi-torque starter? What shit is that? You can get a much larger stock starter in and out without touching the exhaust.

With 4-2-1 extractors it should be a piece of piss. 4-1's make it a little tighter but still easy.

The starter has to go in from underneath of course Angle it up @ the engine mount and lift in. Then lift the nose of the starter and move the nose of the starter into the bellhousing. Bolt it up and in less than 15mins your away.

Brenden
Old 04-20-2004, 21:57   #5 (permalink)

My hi-torque starter is the big 2.3HP unit from Castle Auto Electrics, I didn't have to remove extractors but it was a real bitch to fit. About a 3 hour job that should have been 20mins. The top bolt is hard, but not impossible, to get too with a big set of extractors.
Old 04-20-2004, 22:02   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
My hi-torque starter is the big 2.3HP unit from Castle Auto Electrics, I didn't have to remove extractors but it was a real bitch to fit. About a 3 hour job that should have been 20mins. The top bolt is hard, but not impossible, to get too with a big set of extractors.
To do the top bolt you need. 3*12" extension bars/flexable joint (knuckle joint and a 9/16 socket. If you do it this way I'll take about 5 mins maximum to do the top bolt.

Using the above method also makes it easy to remove the 5/8 bolt above it.

Brenden
Old 04-20-2004, 23:21   #7 (permalink)

Can some one just jot down a quick step by step for me. I know the basic shiat like disconnet batt, remove wires to old starter, unbolt starter connect wires to new starter (apparently its easier that way first) then rebolt up the new starter. But is there an order for the wires or any other tricks ppl would like to add?
Old 04-21-2004, 00:00   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
To do the top bolt you need. 3*12" extension bars/flexable joint (knuckle joint and a 9/16 socket. If you do it this way I'll take about 5 mins maximum to do the top bolt.

Using the above method also makes it easy to remove the 5/8 bolt above it.

Brenden
With my 1 7/8 primaries this didn't work for me Brenx, I had to use a small spanner angled sideways. It was one of the shittiest small jobs I've ever done on a car yet. It was a 43 deg day, had been 2 weeks of non-stop work rebuilding and putting motor back in, and the power steering fluid even had the audacity to drip in my eye... One said starter motor nearly eneded up thru the windscreen.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:26   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Should have worked as I have less than 5-10mm clearance max with my extractors. They wrap around the starter.

[edit] If I use a spanner on the top bolt. The job takes about 1hr as I can only turn the bolt for about 4mm each time. Extractor sits way to close to the starter.

Brenden
Old 04-21-2004, 18:15   #10 (permalink)

Okay clearance on the extractors was a problem but I used a ring spanner instead of a socket and got it off in a few mins. Now Im trying to get the new one to fit but it just wont go in! I can get the bottom bolt to sit flush but not the top one.

Heres a pic that might make it easier to understand

Help anyone!?!

PS. I should also have added that altho it looks like its hitting the extractor its not, there is plenty of room with the new smaller dimension starter in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech