Starting my project soon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2002, 01:23   #1 (permalink)

Starting my project soon

well as probably none of you remember i asked ages ago on here which way to go in regards to a project, XD or XE. Well after not bothering to really pursue it any further due to time/money i've managed to score myself a XE S pack shell, has the interior and everything, just no motor, was a v8 model according to friend who i'm getting it through. Best bit.. its free.. all she wants in exchange is some diesel for her tow truck to drop it off where ever i want, and she'll also lend me the tow truck(flatbed) to take it to assorted places for bits(eg: eventually fit a motor)

What i'm after is advice on which way to start going about this project, i intend to start stripping back the body in preperation for a full respray and then go from there.

Comming with no engine also gives me the chance to choose my own "donk" to drop in.. Altho personally i'm thinking of going supercharged 351C(nice blower similair style to a 6/71), or stroking it with dual tunnel ram and big carbies(mm.. bug catcher scoop).

Being a Holden man as such(well i drive a 2001 ss ute gen3) my ford knowledge is limited. I have a few friends i can ask for advice but any that i can get from the collective minds of the ford forums is great.

Also friend mentioned to me about a gearbox thats inbetween a C4 and a C6, she dubbed it a C5 its got good strength and isnt to big(hence no tunnel modifications needed). Does anyone know of these?

Lastly, any urls with info on XE's be it ESP's S's stockers etc would be great. I know i'm asking alot but i'm new to the ford game :)

Thanks alot,
Mark
summoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2002, 04:37   #2 (permalink)

Summoner,

I think the best and cheapest way to begin would be to get a donnor car such as an XD or XE V8 (or even XA - XC). You could then source most of the drivetrain (engine, trans, trans crossmember shifter etc,) from the donnor car. However XE V8's are extremenly rare and 351's were only avilable in the ESP's, Fairmont Ghias and LTD's. The beaty of the clevland engine though, is that you can get a 302 and have it stroked to 351 when you rebuild the engine. There is a place called COME Performance that provide stroker kits for these engines up to about 378ci.

Puting a V8 into an XE is a pretty easy process, even if the car was originaly as 6, all you need to do is install V8 engine mounts and a new crossmember for the trans.

I am not aware of a C5, howver an FMX from a 351 XD will fit in the XE without modification. In most cases though a good C4 will do the job.

If the car was originaly a V8 then the standard diff should be OK, if not you can use the standard 6 diff housing and install 4 pinion LSD and 28 spline axles.

Hope this info helps, best of luck with your project.
XAXEXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 04:52   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Go 351 stroker Clevo and inject it using new Rousch type Funnelweb inlet with injector bosses cast in.From Parker racing components [07] 4122-1636..A 90* extension off inlet flange for a 75+ mm throttle body.. The rest can be aquired from a wreck that has efi from either Ford or dear I say G.M..Pete from your neck of the woods has an efi clevo and into Fords eec. efi..He lurks on here often also..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 11:06   #4 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

I think any XE shell built after the end of 1982 once they stopped factory V8's, has a different firewall. Need to check on this to be certain though. The difference relates to the heater box area, and the positioning of the water outlets. They tend to be much closer to the rocker covers once a Clevo is fitted, and the hoses will foul, especially with the large square aluminuim 'Motorsport' type covers. Otherwise it should be a bolt in fit!

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 20:14   #5 (permalink)
Mr Photoshop

How about a nice new 5.4 with a supercharger or stroker? Now that would be a beast:dog3:
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 05:26   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

From memory in a Street Machine project. Clevo in XF They used X.D cross member. I'm not sure if it was the whole member or the V8 brackets for the mounts...It can be done..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 12:32   #7 (permalink)

re

If i was u & was not planing to use the car everyday I would get a 460 big block & stroke it to 520ci using stock crank, Chev 454 Big Block Rods & custom pistons...Get the stock heads ported (I don't know if the 351 Clevo 4V's would fit even that the Clevo was based on the big block but If possible I would use these heads on it, ported & polished). Then if you want just get a GM 6/71 if you want runing a mild boost. You would need block huger extractors. As far as C5 goes I don't think there is such a thing. There is C4 (used on 6 cylinder & very popular on 302 Windsors & mild 351 Windsors), C9 which is used on 351 Windsors, C10 302 & 351 Clevlands, FMX which is a GT box used on 351 Clevos (very shit box, heavy & can't handle as much power in stock trim as the other auto boxes. That's my opinion anyways due to my experiance with them), C6 is the big block box but was also used behind 351 clevos in F150 trucks...etc. (it has a very harsh first to second shift. It's a definet kidney killer). There is no such thing as a C5 (to my knowledge anyways). For the manuals there is the T5's & Good old Top Loader (There is a wide ratio & close ratio box. GT HO's were fitted with 31 spline input shafts). If I was u I would use a Top Loader. As for the diff nothing other then 9" would be able to handel the torque of this monster.... This would take a lot of engineering to make the chassie handle the power... The end results however would be a extremly ballsy engine with the ability to fry the tyres in any gear & at any speed you wanted it to....
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 20:46   #8 (permalink)

thanks alot for the info and help. Probably picking up the car this week and mite get some pics of it online, It will be getting a full bare metal respray while its missing bits(including undercarriage detailing etc). As for a color, i sort of have 1 in mind but its going to be hush for now
more details to come

Atm i'm finding it hard to get any info on XE S-pacs as is, done a search via google and tis mostly just shops or assorted other things with XE and Falcon in them(old computers). Anyone have any good resources with info? :)
summoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 20:54   #9 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

How about an injected V10 monster! :s3
Old 06-30-2002, 22:12   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom XR
How about an injected V10 monster! :s3
Arrggh Arrgghh Arrggh, More Power!!!!!!!! :bcool: :bcool:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech