Starting a re-build from stock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 04:22   #1 (permalink)
'bargearse'

Starting a re-build from stock

Finally starting to put together the 351C in the Landau. After heaps of discussion (outside of Forums...) now looking for more input! Story so far....

Mighty Demon DP 750
Exhillerator single plane Man.
Crane cam 238
Hydrolic Hi Intensity lifters
3000 stall Conv
3.7 9"
.....Gear box has been the difficult bit. One says dump the FMX and get a C6 rebuilt...another C10. C10 only cos its lighter? Keep and rebuild FMX? Keep the car to near as possible original parts/? Car more for cruising than dragging......
....Also type/size of extractors/system.....?
....Any comments on any of above greatly appreciated, but believe is good combo
auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 04:29   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Starting a re-build from stock

I think the crane F238is a solid so make sure you dont get the wrong lifters.
What do you intend on doign with it ?? dragging ?? cruising?
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:30   #3 (permalink)
'bargearse'

Cruising as they are a heavy car....But would like to cruise quickly!
Old 06-30-2004, 04:53   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoupe
I think the crane F238is a solid so make sure you dont get the wrong lifters.
What do you intend on doign with it ?? dragging ?? cruising?
He probably has a H238 crane hydraulic. I just took mine out in favour of a solid, but the H238 was a very good hydraulic. I needed a 3500 stall to get my XD going.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:00   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Finally starting to put together the 351C in the Landau. After heaps of discussion (outside of Forums...) now looking for more input! Story so far....

Mighty Demon DP 750
Exhillerator single plane Man.
Crane cam 238
Hydrolic Hi Intensity lifters
3000 stall Conv
3.7 9"
.....Gear box has been the difficult bit. One says dump the FMX and get a C6 rebuilt...another C10. C10 only cos its lighter? Keep and rebuild FMX? Keep the car to near as possible original parts/? Car more for cruising than dragging......
....Also type/size of extractors/system.....?
....Any comments on any of above greatly appreciated, but believe is good combo
Hmmm.Must be a new type of manifold that one eh? The weiand exhillerator.Must be called that because it gives exhillerating performance. Sorry,just my idea of being humourous.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:05   #6 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Whats "Hi energy lifters"? is it a brand name or something?
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 15:49   #7 (permalink)

Would the DP carb be a waste on a crusing car? maybe a Vac Sec may be a better option, prolly save you a bit on fuel too.
streaksinthesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 16:06   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

That carbs quite a few $. If you have to buy it? I'd suggest going for a HP series Holley. It'll put a couple of hundred back in your pocket. Run a 1" spacer atop of the Wieand. They seem to respeond well to that.

Streaksinthesk : Don't assume DP means bad fuel econ because it doesn't. I used to get 350-380k's per tank with a 3500rpm histall and 4.11's. Running a 750DP HP carb. Putting a vac sec could be done provided you don't want to use the engine to it's full potential.

[edit] Personally I say redo a C4/10 but since you already have an FMX. Just build that. Do a cost comparison. Whats it going to cost to redo the FMX and get a histall? Then see what it's going to cost to obtain a C4/10 and the histall to suit?

I think the histalls a tad conservative but hey I had a conservative one (3500rpm). It shouldn't affect too much. You may get slight bog down. I got bored

Brenden
Old 06-30-2004, 17:44   #9 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Putting a vac sec could be done provided you don't want to use the engine to it's full potential.
There is a good bit of truth in this statement, however, it isn't as if it is impossible to get the engine to run at its full potential, rather it just takes a lot more effort and tuning than a DP. It is probably worth the wasted petrol and headache to run a DP unless you happen to be rather gifted at tuning.

I've ran some very strong engines on VS carburetors and with the right bit of tuning and time on the chassis dyno, you can make them run very, very well. Better than a DP? Probably not for drag racing. Your engine needs a lot more fuel added when the green flag drops and a DP does this quite well. By the time you build up a VS for the race track that can be competitive with a DP, you don't really have much left but a DP with only one pumper and a tuning problem waiting for you at every different track you race at...if you travel around to different tracks.

For a hotted-up Cleveland, a DP is a good idea for anyone who will be taking it to the track. OTOH, a good VS is a good compromise that will save some fuel economy and run very well on a lot of engines. I probably would run a DP on any solid lifter camshaft engine where the cam was an F246 or more and consider a VS carb for an H238 or less. Here, a good used VS carb runs $25-30 US. Put a $25 kit into it and you have a great part for peanuts. Besides, you can't really use all of the power you can make with a stout Clevo on the street anyway, so you may as well save some fuel while cruising or out on the highways.

I've built VS and ran against DP and it isn't that difficult when you learn how to tune them, especially for changing track conditions. Is it worth it for a drag racer? Not in my opinion.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 19:27   #10 (permalink)
'bargearse'

thanks for the response!

I have been (almost) 'talked into the M Demon and can get one for under $900. brand new in the box. I thought this to be reasonable as they are as high as $1290. As far as DP, not too concerned on going throught the fuel, cos not going to make that much difference, as its not a daily driver and they are heavy on fuel anyways. BUT then the VS is such a consideration, especially on estimates 'davis' has quoted! Add an exchange rate and freight and you could still keep a few for 'just in case'!

Would proberly prefer to keep the FMX, but the shops I have spoken to think I'm mad to keep it......
Havnt you got a spare 'C' lying around 'Brenx'!!!!....not the one you keep breaking though! You got that car back together yet??? And yes....Mr Conservative is me!

AND sorry about the spellin (pronounciation)......Russ....theres always one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech