Stroker Combos - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2005, 17:38   #1 (permalink)

Stroker Combos

I'm scrapping the corty project and am putting the engine/g/box/diff into an XB Falcon. As the engine is presently a standard stroke 351/0.30. I am looking to increase the cui of the engine as I am now doing a heavier car. So far I've got a basic combo in mind along the lines of 383 SCAT crank, CHI heads new style with standard 2V inlet/exhaust location, CROW Cam # 21806. It has been suggested to me to run 6" chev rods with flat tops. I would like to keep the compression around the 9.5-10.5 for PULP ( 98 Octane )

Would appreciate feedback from members who have built stroker combos and have achieved easily in the 540-580hp range.
351ClevoCorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 18:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Stroker Combos

Have you considered bypassing the 383 and going straight to a 408? Its the cheapest 50 hp you will ever buy..
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

I agree with racer if you are going to buy a stroker crank might as well go as big as posible.
With the chi heads I would use the 3v 218 with a stroker and you will be able to get away with a higher comp and still use 98 octane fuel with alloy heads .My engine runs
around the 11.1 with chi heads(just finshed engine not started yet).
I got my stroker kit from rocket ,scat crank 6.125 rods ross pistons with comp at 10.5
What is the details on the cam .Bigger the stroker the bigger cam you can get away with and keep drivability .
Good luck with it and look foward to hearing what you do
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 21:25   #4 (permalink)

I don't think you can say achieving 540-580HP is easy. Heads and cam have to be optimum, that's the key. Mine aren't, so I don't make that sort of HP with my stroker.

Agree that the CHI218 heads would be much better suited. Also when using these heads the 'normal' compression ratio standards don't apply - so upto 11.5:1 is OK even for PULP.

Personally I don't like 408 strokers for a whole stack of reasons. Sure you get an easy 50HP extra but that's about the only benefit. Costs go up a lot, you're in another league with the block prep needed and longivity is still uncertain with them. Talk to guys that have done them with clevo blocks.

Not to say a 408 can't be done properly though, but I wouldn't use a standard cast clevo block.
Old 05-29-2005, 21:46   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Theres a 383/CHI headed clevo buzzing around the eastern suburbs with 650hp. Aim for around 11:1 compression. They you have room to move if a woops happens. I have the CHI's running 11.5:1 (pump fuel). If you want to stick around 6500rpm max. The 21737 or bigger is better suited to a stroker. The cam you've chosen is a bit small for a stroker. It may drop power before 6000rpm due to being a stroker.

A better cam choice selection is to get John (CHI) to select one to suit. As this way it's matched to the heads and will make more power/torque.
Old 05-29-2005, 22:11   #6 (permalink)
BLOWNXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
I don't think you can say achieving 540-580HP is easy. Heads and cam have to be optimum, that's the key. Mine aren't, so I don't make that sort of HP with my stroker.

Agree that the CHI218 heads would be much better suited. Also when using these heads the 'normal' compression ratio standards don't apply - so upto 11.5:1 is OK even for PULP.

Personally I don't like 408 strokers for a whole stack of reasons. Sure you get an easy 50HP extra but that's about the only benefit. Costs go up a lot, you're in another league with the block prep needed and longivity is still uncertain with them. Talk to guys that have done them with clevo blocks.

Not to say a 408 can't be done properly though, but I wouldn't use a standard cast clevo block.
Id have to disagree with you on that, my 408 windsor/clevo (The standard clevo block is suppose to be stronger than my windsor)didnt cost anymore in block prep than it would have to build a standard stroke clevo, the only relieving we did was to the girdle and i had the block sonic tested and acid cleaned as you would with any rebuild. I did have the crank internally balanced only for insurance purposes which really wasnt that much more than a standard balance as it didnt require that much mallory metal. And a far as logjevity, the engine has been in well over 1 and 1/2 years with no problems, it hasnt cost me anymore in fuel consumption than any other V8s ive owned. And with a small roller cam produced over 450rwhp (570-585fwhp) which was completely streetable. I drove a whole day (thru south perth, kings park, cottsloe, frmantle strip back thru cott, scrabrough and back home)without having to pop the bonnet or stop at a fuel station (i put 35lt of U98 in before we left)and got home with 5lt maybe still in the tank.
XD408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 22:57   #7 (permalink)

Hi guys,

I had asked John at CHI about doing this exact same combo a few weeks ago - his reply as follows:

"I would like to see you use the 218cc heads and our manifold. We have a camshaft we have dyno tested that makes 490fl/lb 570hp in a 383 with 10.8-1 comp. The cam is 256@.050 on the intake with 266@.050 on the exhaust. Valve lift is approximately .580 on the intake and .600 on the exhaust. This would suit your need to a T, and reliability will not be an issue."

Cheers
Old 05-29-2005, 23:24   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony xa
I agree with racer if you are going to buy a stroker crank might as well go as big as posible.
With the chi heads I would use the 3v 218 with a stroker and you will be able to get away with a higher comp and still use 98 octane fuel with alloy heads .My engine runs
around the 11.1 with chi heads(just finshed engine not started yet).
I got my stroker kit from rocket ,scat crank 6.125 rods ross pistons with comp at 10.5
What is the details on the cam .Bigger the stroker the bigger cam you can get away with and keep drivability .
Good luck with it and look foward to hearing what you do
Crow Cam Solid - Valve Timing IN. 42/76 EX. 81/43; DUR. IN.298 EX.304 DUR@50 IN.248 EXH.255; Valve Lift IN. .564" EXH. .585"; Pow Range 3500/6500.
Old 05-29-2005, 23:27   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Theres a 383/CHI headed clevo buzzing around the eastern suburbs with 650hp. Aim for around 11:1 compression. They you have room to move if a woops happens. I have the CHI's running 11.5:1 (pump fuel). If you want to stick around 6500rpm max. The 21737 or bigger is better suited to a stroker. The cam you've chosen is a bit small for a stroker. It may drop power before 6000rpm due to being a stroker.

A better cam choice selection is to get John (CHI) to select one to suit. As this way it's matched to the heads and will make more power/torque.
Brenx,

In the crow catalogue I have there is a 21731. Is this the one you mean or maybe I have an older catalogue but it does show cams for BA Falcon 2002 - on so it must be pretty current.
Old 05-30-2005, 00:11   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Sorry the part number is 21731 not 21737. A large cam in a stroker isn't a big as big as it is in a 351. It'll act like a small hydraulic.

The cam John suggests is similar to mine. The only difference is the duration. I have 580in and 606ex and 248@50 in/ex with a 351. Definately makes good power. Problem is the power kept destroying my trans. I'm off to the strip again shortly. It'll be interesting to see what it does.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech