stroker cranks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 23:15   #1 (permalink)

stroker cranks

hi has anybody used the stroker kits for the clevo on ebay for $850 dollars from atracing any comments
silver fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 00:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: stroker cranks

At those prices you get what you pay for. Cheap prices cheap quality.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

A bloke on fordf-o-r-u-m-s.com.au has used one to build a 383. He's keeping us updated on the build. So far it looks good.

I wouldn't imagine they are that bad. Just don't go planning for real big hp with one. Clevo cranks are strong but they can still break if enough force is applied.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:31   #4 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Someone around these forums is building a 383 using one of those cranks that cost him $200.00 but he has used h-beam rods and forged pistons .
If you are after a cheap stroker that is a bit of a gamble but fun then its worth it but if you are a one time build and use then I would stick to proven kits .

At $850.00 its worth asking but using that would be a different story .
Good luck hope it turns out all good
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:43   #5 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Just had a look at their store on ebay and damn you could build some cheap engines for fun .
I might look into 347w stroker if it gives up at some stage (I know not clev)
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:09   #6 (permalink)

I reckon at 383 cubes you are better off going the COME Racing package or a 393 with scat and srp pistons. If you want to build a tuff Yates headed engine on a budget package punch in Yates in Us ebay where you can buy Venolia pistons in sets for 200US Manifolds for 150 and heads for 400-3000 and Jessel rockers and stands cheap as well. Check out the used nascar guy who sells the pistons.
AZZA
azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:24   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver fox
hi has anybody used the stroker kits for the clevo on ebay for $850 dollars from atracing any comments
I,m using one of their cranks in a 383 and so far it looks like its a goer. Balancing was not a chore and everything has checked out o.k. As far as the pistons and rods are concerned I could not tell you. I would certainly like to see that piston in the flesh to verify it is cleveland specific and not a chev piston with clev valve notch machined in(that,s my bet).
Someone must have made a balls up somewhere though cause if you do the math you really need a 1.325 pin height piston with a six inch rod not 1.425 as stated.
my advice is do your homework first before buying anything even if it comes as a supposed 'kit'. Some guys on the forum i know have been sold kits which require a lot more work as far as machining goes because some part of the kit is wrong .ie Pistons with ford pin size and chev rods=xtra machining and a new set of pins= dollars.
Have a look at the 'sticky' which has been created specifically by those who have been there already with proven combo,s that fit together and what it,ll cost. I think mine is up there already but i have chosen bits from several manufacturers which worked out a treat and has so far cost around 3k for the complete short. Keep in mind That i already had some pieces but realistically could be reproduced for under 4k if you do the assy yourself.Thats doing everything properly as well including decking,honing with a torque plate,balancing and line honing the mains for proper bearing crush.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 16:58   #8 (permalink)

hi good respone what my concern is the parts as strong as standard clevo crank rods because mine made 466hp at hercules engine dyno in sydney now i am thinking of building a budget stroker i dont think ill ever race the car on regular basis its more of a cruiser, just have a good blast on the street here and there. thanks for your input i emailed the guy he reckons the cranks as good as a 4ma.
silver fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 17:58   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver fox
hi good respone what my concern is the parts as strong as standard clevo crank rods because mine made 466hp at hercules engine dyno in sydney now i am thinking of building a budget stroker i dont think ill ever race the car on regular basis its more of a cruiser, just have a good blast on the street here and there. thanks for your input i emailed the guy he reckons the cranks as good as a 4ma.
One area you shouldn,t skimp on is the choice of piston.It is the most abused part of any engine. I,m not a big fan of cast hypereutectics either.Whilst they have their place i,m not sure if it is in a hi performance engine. Many guys will no doubt report having no troubles but they are not tolerant of too much abuse. Get the tune wrong and lean on em and they will break eventually. Ask Shaynet.He recently had a failure. A six inch H beam rod costs around 550 bucks nowadays and a set of venolia 1.315 clevo specific pistons were available from Hi performance world for around 850 bucks.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 22:41   #10 (permalink)

I just realized you probably want to keep the SBF bellhousing pattern, but if you didn't mind going to a big block bellhousing pattern you could always put in a 400 block with Cleveland heads (4V heads scream on a 400). I'm new so maybe I'm stating the obvious, just hoping to help.
John L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech