strong combo for torque - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 08:05   #1 (permalink)
F100 351

strong combo for torque

hey i'm planning to rebuild my 302 next year, i want it rigged up for towing.
i'm ma brickie with a tonne of gear in the back, it a 86 F100 4x2 ute 300,000k the EFI has been scrapped for a 350 holley, crane cams fireball ignition hi tech headers. for wot a believe they are the only changes to the old girl, 2v or 4v i'm not sure there is no castings on the corners of the head, i'm open for any suggestions to modify my truck for more torque and one thats built to last, an idea of $$$$ would be good too, i'll spend the money to get what i need

the set up now;

302c
350 holley
crane cams xr700 ignition
hi tech headers - 2.5 single system
C4
4.11 diff ?? a guess of the info i've found
31 x 10.5x 15 4x4 tyres
F100kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 15:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: strong combo for torque

Flat top pistons
stock 2v o.c. heads
one of smallest 3 crane (or similar) hyd cams - one ideal for your situation pulls from 1000 to 3800 rpm but can't find it this morning. Try Comp. cams.
1 5/8" Tri Y headers.
4 bbl 2v manifold with 600 vac sec.

Theoretically a 450 v.s. would be ideal but I've never used one and therefore can't comment about it. A 350 holley worked well on 302 auto yrs ago for me but you can get better economy from a 4 bbl v.s. if you're careful with right foot.

Shift improver kit for auto - changes firmly but not harsh.
Rebuilt stock torque convertor.
Recurve dist. to suit your combination.

With 4.11 gears that combo will pull a train backwards. And you'll get better fuel economy as well.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 16:34   #3 (permalink)

All sounds good above.

What I'd do if you're going to rebuild the whole motor is this.......
1. Swap the 302 crank for a 351 (about $150)
2. Keep your longer 6" 302 conrods
3. Buy short deck flat top pistons

Those extra few cubes will make a big difference for hardly no extra cost.

........and you'd better but some more tie down straps to hold those bricks down
Old 11-18-2005, 17:40   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F100kls
hey i'm planning to rebuild my 302 next year, i want it rigged up for towing.
i'm ma brickie with a tonne of gear in the back, it a 86 F100 4x2 ute 300,000k the EFI has been scrapped for a 350 holley, crane cams fireball ignition hi tech headers. for wot a believe they are the only changes to the old girl, 2v or 4v i'm not sure there is no castings on the corners of the head, i'm open for any suggestions to modify my truck for more torque and one thats built to last, an idea of $$$$ would be good too, i'll spend the money to get what i need

the set up now;

302c
350 holley
crane cams xr700 ignition
hi tech headers - 2.5 single system
C4
4.11 diff ?? a guess of the info i've found
31 x 10.5x 15 4x4 tyres
Dude,are you sure its a 302 clevo? 86 F100,s came out with 302 windsors.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 18:11   #5 (permalink)

Does your top radiator hose connect to the inlet manifold or straight into the block?
Old 11-18-2005, 19:57   #6 (permalink)
F100 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
Flat top pistons
stock 2v o.c. heads
one of smallest 3 crane (or similar) hyd cams - one ideal for your situation pulls from 1000 to 3800 rpm but can't find it this morning. Try Comp. cams.
1 5/8" Tri Y headers.
4 bbl 2v manifold with 600 vac sec.

Theoretically a 450 v.s. would be ideal but I've never used one and therefore can't comment about it. A 350 holley worked well on 302 auto yrs ago for me but you can get better economy from a 4 bbl v.s. if you're careful with right foot.

Shift improver kit for auto - changes firmly but not harsh.
Rebuilt stock torque convertor.
Recurve dist. to suit your combination.

With 4.11 gears that combo will pull a train backwards. And you'll get better fuel economy as well.

thanks northey i've taken note combo, damm i wish i became a mechanic than a brickie
Old 11-18-2005, 20:12   #7 (permalink)
F100 351

trublu351 the top hose goes straight into the block
northey i was unaware that they came out with windsors, ive seen that the valve cover has 8 bolts and the tops hose is straight to the block so i asumed it was a clevo......i'm sure it is.

i have some stamped numbers in front of the dizzy

302HHH W 161

i haven't found wot they relate to yet. have you guys got any info for me
Old 11-18-2005, 21:44   #8 (permalink)

F100kls, I'm no mechanic. I get in more #$%^& than flash gordon sometimes because of it. But I have good mates who are mechanics who advise me before and after I get in the occasional mess. And I've had a couple of mild and hot streeties and raced a proper car for a long time (that would be one without mudguards and doors).

Anyone else on here that's honest will say exactly the same thing even if they're mechanics.

I did think there was a chance it was a Windsor as a mate has an approx. '86 F100 and it's a Windsor.

But it won't make a great deal of difference either way. The same stuff, manifold, cam size (smaller hyd.), extractors, etc will make a fairly big difference to the engine's torque and responsiveness.

When you're pulling comparatively big weights like you do the engine has to have good "clutch engagement torque."
If it were manual you could let your foot off the clutch with the engine idling and the car will "walk" happily away.
It needs to have that ability even with an auto. If you need big revs to move the weight around neither the fuel level nor the auto will last long.

All that means is the engine has to have good torque at just over idle and up to about 3,700 - 3,800 rpm to pull around town.

The torque convertor can only compensate for a certain lack of torque. The engine has to do most of it.

The small fuel economy cams sometimes have a mild lope to them and sound nice anyway. The small dia. Tri Y extractors and dual plane manifolds along with a good cam all aim at moving air in and out of the combustion chambers quickly and efficiently. The air movement needs to be quick to get good throttle response.

The bigger diameter pipes, high rise manifolds and big cams make big power up high but the air flow is r.s. at low engine speeds.

Two 302's I put cams into yrs back (1 auto, 1 man.) picked up between 4 - 5 mpg on the highway without trailers and about 2.5 - 3.5 with trailers.

You'll be surprised at how much difference a torquey engine makes to driving satisfaction, especially when it's a work truck.

Cheers
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 22:06   #9 (permalink)
F100 351

thanks northey, yeah my intentions were to build torquey motor for work and also to match my driving style wen cruisin with no gear on the back. wot kind of $$$$ would give me this set up
Old 11-18-2005, 22:19   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F100kls
trublu351 the top hose goes straight into the block
northey i was unaware that they came out with windsors, ive seen that the valve cover has 8 bolts and the tops hose is straight to the block so i asumed it was a clevo......i'm sure it is.

i have some stamped numbers in front of the dizzy

302HHH W 161

i haven't found wot they relate to yet. have you guys got any info for me
If the top hose goes into the thermo housing on the block then it is a clevo.Windsors have thermo hsngs on the intake manifold.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech