Sump Seal, Clevo Block - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2004, 05:50   #1 (permalink)

Sump Seal, Clevo Block

I have removed my engine and degreased it back to new and repainted it, and i thought my rear main seal was gone, but when looking at the motor, the seal where the crank is, is very dry, and the seal where to sump is was leaking there, i removed the old gaskets and the rubberones that curve around where brittled and cracked, so i replaced them with an ACL kit.
i was just wondering if the sump was leaking here would it give the same symptoms of a leaky rear main?
because i dont want to put it all back in and it start leaking again!
thanks, john
xeturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2004, 06:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Sump Seal, Clevo Block

I replaced my sump gasket 3 times before I realised my (front) timing cover was leaking!! It had been HAMMERED on (new "crate" motor) because they took it apart to fit a roller timing chain.
A mate of mine recently removed and overhauled his whole engine because the thought he had a leaking main seal. It turned out to be oil leaking from the back of the rocker covers, beware of this!
Old 09-19-2004, 16:46   #3 (permalink)

that would be quite annoying if only the rocker covers were leaking!
i had a problem with my rocker covers but got that sorted all out, when getting right up there and inspecting the crank from the rear, the crank was very dry and where the rear seal would be there was no moisture at all, but the sump seal which is a few cm's below was oozing oil out, even when it was on the hoist. i removed the old gaskets, and the rubber ones which bend around the crank part where very brittle, so hopefully these new ones will fix it.
just out of curiosity, how hard is it actually to put a new rear main in it, while the engine is still on the hoist? and what are the chances of a new seal leaking?
thanks heaps for the help, john
Old 09-19-2004, 16:48   #4 (permalink)

also my engine has done 80.000 ks since it had a full rebuild and the heads done for gas. im not sure if rear mains get replaced, but it shouldnt be too old. and it hasnt had a tough life either, it been babied around!
Old 09-19-2004, 22:53   #5 (permalink)

They can leak from new if not installed correctly or if the engine oil is overful. You have to seperate the engine from the transmisson to replace it so either one or both needs to come out of the car.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:38   #6 (permalink)

well my engine is out of the car at the moment with no gearbox attached, so access isnt a problem, what tools would be needed?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:03   #7 (permalink)

you have to remove all the rods and the crank to change the rear main, pretty much dissasemble the entire motor except for camshaft, if you do change the rear main make sure you get the rubber type not the old school wick style, be sure to knock out the locating pins in the seal groove if you use a rubber seal, and turn the crank over 25 or so turns in each direction to free up and seat the seal before you start the engine, some people say to lube the seal others say it isn't neccesary but IMO it can't hurt.

Soooo basically don't do it unless you actually have to.

Potential to damage your freshish engine if done wrong.
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 15:12   #8 (permalink)
Nothing beats a V8

i just replaced the front rubber seal on my sump on the weekend, and i still have the same leak. is it common that the timing cover is the cause?
Old 09-20-2004, 15:49   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREME
i just replaced the front rubber seal on my sump on the weekend, and i still have the same leak. is it common that the timing cover is the cause?
Could be the timing cover gasket or the crankshaft oil seal.Cheap to fix,just get a timing cover gasket set,about $30.Comes with timing cover gasket,crank oil seal and water pump gasket.Everything needed to do the job.
clevoxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:18   #10 (permalink)

im scared to start pulling my engine apart at the moment, when i first put the engine in it didnt spill a drip, and it came on real quickly, but i have noticed that when the oil level is close to the "fill" line it doesnt leak!

if i need to replace the rear main i will wait until i finish saving to go 351 stuff, cam etc. hopefully it was just my sump!
other then that i have no problems with my engine and its great, just worried about the oil issue!
thanks for the replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech