Swapping 4.1 for 351c - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2004, 00:11   #1 (permalink)
XB Pilot

Swapping 4.1 for 351c

Greetings,

as you can tell from the title this is about swapping the 4.1 in the XB i just bought. Now although the current engine is the 240k original, I'm completely unimpressed and sometimes concerned with the very sluggish power.
I guess this is after having a Gen3 VX Calais work car, but the lack of response in not my cup of tea.
Now I'm going to swap this engine for the 351c/c4/2.75lsd from my Zf rally car. Now in the fairlane this eninge was very fun, being about 10000kms old, less on c4 and diff.

If you guys can give me any pointers, things to watch out for or pay heed to. I know how to go about it and I'm not mechanically challenge, and I believe that I'll get the whole thing done over a weekend, but I want to make sure that it goes smoothly and I know a lot of you have faced probs and can help me avoid them!

Thanks,

Simon
siwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 06:50   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Swapping 4.1 for 351c

Should bolt right in with the parts you have.Depending what the parts came from If Fairlane the driveshaft may need to be shortened...The brackets for engine mounts need to be changed over to bolt on xmember...Hope you have power steering in XB...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:05   #3 (permalink)
###AND EDGT DRIVER###

yep what he wrote and you orginal tail shaft should fit from the xb

the cost of fiting or swapping may have to get some quotes from your loc machanic.

or rent a engine crane and some cartons of beer and invite some freinds around should take a day with drinking brakes.
xf351gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 18:51   #4 (permalink)
XB Pilot

I'm thanking god that the fairlane has power steering and that I WILL swap it over. I've never driven anything as hard to turn.

I'm going to do the transfer myself, I can get hold of a hoist and with a few mates we should have it in a day or so.

So the 6 cylinder tailshaft will be strong enough ie there's no difference between 6 and 8 tailshafts?

Cool if it is, less parts to find.

What I'll be doing is pulling the six with g/box attached, removing power steering and base engine mounts.
Then pull the eight with g/box attached, change over steering, change engine mounts and slide the 8 in.
Finally put the six in the fairlane and then swap the diffs around.

Oh yeah, the fairlane has a 2.5 twin system, will I be able to swap this over? Obviously it'll stick out further and need to be cut, but will the pipes exit in the right place? I know that I have to get a twin system rear stone shield but need to know whether I'm up for a new exhaust.
Old 01-25-2004, 22:00   #5 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwren
I'm thanking god that the fairlane has power steering and that I WILL swap it over. I've never driven anything as hard to turn.

I'm going to do the transfer myself, I can get hold of a hoist and with a few mates we should have it in a day or so.

So the 6 cylinder tailshaft will be strong enough ie there's no difference between 6 and 8 tailshafts?

Cool if it is, less parts to find.

What I'll be doing is pulling the six with g/box attached, removing power steering and base engine mounts.
Then pull the eight with g/box attached, change over steering, change engine mounts and slide the 8 in.
Finally put the six in the fairlane and then swap the diffs around.

Oh yeah, the fairlane has a 2.5 twin system, will I be able to swap this over? Obviously it'll stick out further and need to be cut, but will the pipes exit in the right place? I know that I have to get a twin system rear stone shield but need to know whether I'm up for a new exhaust.
The steering shouldn't be too heavy (especially if it has the standard 20:1 Steering Box).

It would probably be best to get a decent V8 Tailshaft and while you have the thing out, replace the Uni Joints just to be sure.

The Exhaust System can be changed over, but it will need to be shortened after the Mufflers before it goes over the Diff. If the Fairlane needed a twin 2 1/2" System, it must have a pretty healthy Engine.

Hope this helps.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:37   #6 (permalink)
XB Pilot

Thats an excellent point, my brain told me that it was just the boot that was longer but the wheelbase is longer.
How do I go about shortened the exhaust pipes myself?
Or do I just leave it at the mufflers and take it to a exhaust shop?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:38   #7 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Exhaust Shop would be your best bet.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:12   #8 (permalink)
Nod

If the twin system has a H or X pipe fitted, cut the exhaust a few inches from the mufflers (on the side your getting shortened) and get an exhaust shop to weld a set of flanges on. This way if you ever need to remove the tranny or driveshaft you can unbolt and remove the exhaust easily.
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:57   #9 (permalink)
###AND EDGT DRIVER###

i had a 6cyl tail shaft on the xd for many years behind a manual never had a problem so should be fine behind yours if its a bw 277 that will be the weak link.

hopefully the fairlane diff might have the 28 spline axles the stock 6 should have 25spline.

the exhaust should only need shorting by 3inch`s so should find somewhere to shorten.

Last edited by xf351gt; 01-26-2004 at 08:01.
xf351gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 13:07   #10 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

don't forget the radiator. if your fairlane has 9 inch you'll have to change unis to fit tailshaft. front springs too, the ol' clevo weighs a lot more than a six. if your running extractors put them in before you bolt the engine to the mounts that way you can put them in from the top instead of laying on your back. pretty easy swap. enjoy the result.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech